Register Now
The Blackangel

WHY???

There's something I absolutely don't get. Why do people always feel they have to upgrade and drop the previous system? I remember when the SNES came out I wanted one desperately. So I saved up every penny I came across for over a year to buy myself one. I got it home and played the hell out of it. But I still played my NES just as much. I was a freshman in HS when the N64 came out, and a kid in my class was selling off all his SNES stuff to get an N64. Suddenly he didn't like SNES because it "was too primitive". People seem to disown the previous system when the new one comes out. That's when you get classic gamers. Why? Because everyone either disowned or forgot about the previous systems. If you buy the new generation of systems, to keep up with your favorite games, that's different. I have a couple PS4 games. But I still have my Atari 2600. I still have my NES, SNES, and N64. I'm in the market for a Colecovision that works. I have the Coleco Classic, but I can't bring myself to play it, because that classic rerelease shit makes me sick. And no I didn't buy it. It was a gift.

So if it's a status thing, then that's just sad. If you're keeping up with your favorite games, ok.  But why the hell did you for get the existence of the first Xbox, or the PS1, or the NES just because a new one came out?

Times change, new graphics, new gameplays, bigger games, Classics are classics sure but it would have been sad if videogames only stayed in the 2d era. I have a modded Wii and this is the console where I keep my favorite classics Nintendo games, Nes, snes, N64 and Gamecube, good childhood memories but times change my friend and I personally I'm looking forward to the new consoles and games.

13 hours ago, kingpotato said:

Times change, new graphics, new gameplays, bigger games, Classics are classics sure but it would have been sad if videogames only stayed in the 2d era. I have a modded Wii and this is the console where I keep my favorite classics Nintendo games, Nes, snes, N64 and Gamecube, good childhood memories but times change my friend and I personally I'm looking forward to the new consoles and games.

Hard disagreement on that one.

Many amazing games which have stood out both from indie and AAA developers alike are, indeed, 2D. Not only that, but many 3D games have been victims of gamebreaking bugs and glitches. Many of them had to expeirment with technology that wasn't as accessible (IE. Mass Effect Andromeda + Frostbite). So yeah, that's a thing you gotta consider.

10 hours ago, UleTheVee said:

Hard disagreement on that one.

Many amazing games which have stood out both from indie and AAA developers alike are, indeed, 2D. Not only that, but many 3D games have been victims of gamebreaking bugs and glitches. Many of them had to expeirment with technology that wasn't as accessible (IE. Mass Effect Andromeda + Frostbite). So yeah, that's a thing you gotta consider.

Never said that 3D was better than 2D. Would you agree that the videogame industry should have stayed in the 2d era ? thats my point videogames must evolve , like all the technology in the world everything must evolve.

@The Blackangel I completely feel the same way. It's why I get so angry at the lack of backwards compatibility on systems. I live in a small space, and don't have room to pile up old systems. But I didn't get the PS4 because it wouldn't play my PS3 games, and I love them too much to give them up. But I want to get a platform which lets me play the future installments in the series I like. So I'm desperately hoping that PS5 will be backwards compatible with PS4 and PS3. But I am worried it will only be with PS4.

31 minutes ago, The Blackangel said:

Why is the previous system no longer worthy of being played? That's all I want to know. If I can get a valid answer to that question I'll shut up.

If you can get a new one that is retro-compatible then its worth it to get a new system and get rid of the old one (if you have the money to spare to do such a thing). Thats why I got my modded Wii, as much as I'd like to get a NES or SNES getting one on good conditions these days can be rare, along with a good cartridge. Sure back then consoles and games where made to stand the test of time, but the modded was a better option for me personally & financially. At least this is my opinion, I'm sure other will prefer getting the original system.

From my experience, perhaps people or most gamers always look up to having a new and improved gaming system in order to enjoy all the new features, benefits and upgrades that comes with the latest version of the system. 

Why would you blame one for looking at getting a better experience with his or her gaming life? 

I think there are different reasons for people not to keep their past systems, some of them might find easier to afford the new system by trading the old one to make the gap smaller. Then you have the people that have to move a lot so they can't really juggle all the consoles even if they wanted to own them. There are other gamers that are more of one time experiences and are satisfied passing the games once so once a new console comes they most likely feel they have juiced the console to their satisfaction. I guess we all just don't see gaming in the same way, it is not wrong, just different.

As for me, I love my classics. I moved countries and I still tried to hunt down the consoles and games from my childhood. There is something, some joy I can get from holding a genuine controller and cartridge. It helps me retreat to my safe zone. I am lucky my partner feels the same way because our living room is basically a modern and a CRT TV plugged to a bunch of different consoles from the Atari 2600 to the Nintendo Switch. 

Edited by Kaynil

17 hours ago, kingpotato said:

If you can get a new one that is retro-compatible then its worth it to get a new system and get rid of the old one (if you have the money to spare to do such a thing). Thats why I got my modded Wii, as much as I'd like to get a NES or SNES getting one on good conditions these days can be rare, along with a good cartridge. Sure back then consoles and games where made to stand the test of time, but the modded was a better option for me personally & financially. At least this is my opinion, I'm sure other will prefer getting the original system.

Actually the NES and SNES systems are really plentiful. Easy as pie to find and not expensive, nor are the games. I have bought several bundles on CL and never spent more than $150. All have come with at least 15 games, many with other system setups, and sometimes even a TV. Inexpensive as hell. At the moment I have 5 NES systems that I've picked up on CL in bundles, and 3 SNES systems that I got the same way. I never spent more than $150 and they always came with close to 20 games and sometimes even a TV. One bundle was several systems. 3 PS2's, Atari 2600, NES, and a Sears Home Gaming System(complete in box I might add). Also it had over 70 games, most of which were Atari games. All of it works and I play the hell out of it.

I currently have an exorbitant amount of surplus systems. I buy for either the games, or the system, or all of it. I end up with even more, and I resell a lot of it to make a profit.

On 3/24/2019 at 8:39 AM, The Blackangel said:

Actually the NES and SNES systems are really plentiful. Easy as pie to find and not expensive, nor are the games. I have bought several bundles on CL and never spent more than $150. All have come with at least 15 games, many with other system setups, and sometimes even a TV. Inexpensive as hell. At the moment I have 5 NES systems that I've picked up on CL in bundles, and 3 SNES systems that I got the same way. I never spent more than $150 and they always came with close to 20 games and sometimes even a TV. One bundle was several systems. 3 PS2's, Atari 2600, NES, and a Sears Home Gaming System(complete in box I might add). Also it had over 70 games, most of which were Atari games. All of it works and I play the hell out of it.

I currently have an exorbitant amount of surplus systems. I buy for either the games, or the system, or all of it. I end up with even more, and I resell a lot of it to make a profit.

Yes but all that can also be obtained for free through emulation, except the PS2 I know its possible but I'm not sure of the quality of the emulation, I've never tried to emulate a ps2.

On 3/23/2019 at 2:01 PM, The Blackangel said:

Why is the previous system no longer worthy of being played? That's all I want to know. If I can get a valid answer to that question I'll shut up.

I'm the last person to know how to answer that, since I'm in total agreement with you 100%. I wish that we didn't live in such a culture of obsolescence. 

As a PC player, as time passes games become more demanding in terms of system requirements to function properly so I have no choice but to upgrade after a certain period. As an animator, I also have to upgrade on software because some features of the previous software become obsolete and the software becomes more demanding on my system as well.

On 3/22/2019 at 8:32 AM, The Blackangel said:

There's something I absolutely don't get. Why do people always feel they have to upgrade and drop the previous system? I remember when the SNES came out I wanted one desperately. So I saved up every penny I came across for over a year to buy myself one. I got it home and played the hell out of it. But I still played my NES just as much. I was a freshman in HS when the N64 came out, and a kid in my class was selling off all his SNES stuff to get an N64. Suddenly he didn't like SNES because it "was too primitive". People seem to disown the previous system when the new one comes out. That's when you get classic gamers. Why? Because everyone either disowned or forgot about the previous systems. If you buy the new generation of systems, to keep up with your favorite games, that's different. I have a couple PS4 games. But I still have my Atari 2600. I still have my NES, SNES, and N64. I'm in the market for a Colecovision that works. I have the Coleco Classic, but I can't bring myself to play it, because that classic rerelease shit makes me sick. And no I didn't buy it. It was a gift.

So if it's a status thing, then that's just sad. If you're keeping up with your favorite games, ok.  But why the hell did you for get the existence of the first Xbox, or the PS1, or the NES just because a new one came out?

Well for one thing the Xbox 360 was backwards compatible, same with the Series S, why should I stick to the past, when I can bring the past with me and play future games? But for PlayStation, well the cult over there demands it.

It's because gamers like new. Some people will love to play the old consoles still. I still try to play some of my older consoles, but when the new stuff comes out, I try to get what I can so I can game with friends. It doesn't mean I won't go back to my old consoles once in a while, it'll just mean less time with those consoles. 

But really, it depends on the person and what they want. Some will buy new and still play old and new. But some will focus their attention on the new stuff for the most part. And that's okay.