Register Now
Alexander.

Cooling your Xbox Platform

A fan is built into my Xbox, already. Besides, I try and keep my console in a well ventilated area and regularly hoover the vent to remove any dust. 

What strategies do you use to ensure your console is cool and doesn't over heat? 

Edited by xXInfectedXx

I have this issue with my old Xbox, I tried many things (avoiding spending some money) but most of them dont work. During the winter it rarely overheats but it does very fast during the summer. I found the best solution is to just play for about an hour and turn it off for another 2 hours before playing again.

On 3/26/2019 at 7:30 PM, kingpotato said:

I have this issue with my old Xbox, I tried many things (avoiding spending some money) but most of them dont work. During the winter it rarely overheats but it does very fast during the summer. I found the best solution is to just play for about an hour and turn it off for another 2 hours before playing again.

Thanks for the advice. Seems obvious, though I never thought of that! I'll have to attempt this as it's the start of summer here in England!

What else has worked with you? 

Edited by xXInfectedXx

23 hours ago, xXInfectedXx said:

Thanks for the advice. Seems obvious, though I never thought of that! I'll have to attempt this as it's the start of summer here in England!

What else has worked with you? 

Nothing else sorry, Its mots likely the thermal paste but its not worth to invest on it anymore. I will just when another one when this one stops working or an Xbox One as soon as all my games become retro compatible.

6 hours ago, Bravosi said:

I have a friend who stopped using xbox due to red button. Know anything about it?

Well it depends on the Xbox 360 version you have, the first version the arcade type models had the famous ring of death and there is no way to definitely fix that. For the Slim models they supposedly fixed that ring of death issue but they do occasionally throw a red light but this is because of a defective hard drive or because the console is overheating. I had both issues with the two xbox that I have owned.

A small desk fan can also help. I've used them in the past and they've never failed me.

And while we're on the subject of fans, you need to make sure the fan in your system is clean periodically. If it's caked in dust and/or grime, then it's basically useless and you need to clean it at right then and there.

Edited by The Blackangel

When it comes to keeping my Xbox cool, I always ensure that I have my Xbox in an area where it has good ventilation and where it is easy for me to get to so that I can clean it and vacuum around that area to keep it as dust free as possible. So far, I have had absolutely no issues with my Xbox One X overheating and it always seems to be very cool when I am using it, so I guess what I am doing is working really well. I think when I get my Xbox Series X though I will be keeping it on my desk rather than on the shelf beneath my desk like I have my One X now as I feel with the design of the Xbox Series X it would be better on the top of my desk where the ventilation would be better, and it would give me more room to keep it clean and dust free.

For the first time in decades,both of my consoles are completely out in the open with full ventilation optimization.  Last gen I had my PS4 and Xbox one X in my entertainment cabinet, while the ventilation was okay, it wasn't as good as it could be. This time around both my Xbox and PS5 are out in the open, standing upright, with my TV between the two of them, so they get the best ventilation possible.