Register Now
Martin Berisford

Do you think games are too expensive nowadays?

This year I've probably spent a good 100 or 200 pound on games from stores and I just feel like wow, this is an expensive hobby lol.I think the crux of my issue is that I'm too impatient to wait, especially for new release games on my Xbox One. When I play PC games I know I can get around the cost issue by going to CD Keys for example and getting the game at a reduced price. I'm not personally sure of an alternative for Xbox so if someone has one, please send it my way!

What do you think? Are games a tad too expensive now? 

No, because people have to be paid.  I mean, we had the same situation with free music - but free music won, lol.  In that case, sadly, the incentive to make music went down - and also the quality.  I mean, I don't see any super groups on the radio no more.  Why is that?

I will backtrack.  Free music didn't really win - but it just never went back to the days of albums.

Edited by Jayson

There is a lot of money to be made today in the video game industry, but the price of about $60(console  games) has been the same for about 10 years, but today they say that it's more complicated to make a video game. The gaming industry made like 116 billion last year - compare that to the movie industry at 41 billion, and the music industry at 17 billion. The TV and TV steaming services made 105 billion though.

I think it's just a start. With more and more people getting into DLC based platforms and the games. I think they are going to be expensive to cover the recent trends in the market. Expect pricing from 20$ onwards in future years. 

If steam goes down and so does the humble bundle. I wonder what may happen to the gaming prices when the game developer companies go stadia way like the cloud hosting prices. I think that would change things. 

Yes, most games nowadays are so ridiculously expensive. Let's take for instance, Call Of Duty. The game itself costs $60, the DLC $50 and the microtransaction pay structures in place to get any worthwhile enjoyment out of the game is around $150 up. That is ridiculous!

There's a great video from The Infographics Show on YouTube why games are priced at $60. 

I don't think $60 is expensive for a video game that you get a lot from back. Let's take The Witcher 3 GOTY for example. For around $60 you get around 120-150 hours of gameplay. That's a pretty good bang for the buck if you ask me. Even half that is really good.

However, if you pay that amount for a game that's only 5-6 hours long, then it's way too expensive. Also if the game milks you out with tons of DLC's and microtransactions, you should reconsider your buying habits. 

The developers have to be paid and I get why some games cost as much as they do. It's really hard to make a good game. With such a saturated market, a lot of money has to be put in marketing as well, so in some cases, I think certain prices are justified.

As long as you can afford those games and you're not financially messing with yourself by buying those games, it's all good.

21 hours ago, killamch89 said:

Yes, most games nowadays are so ridiculously expensive. Let's take for instance, Call Of Duty. The game itself costs $60, the DLC $50 and the microtransaction pay structures in place to get any worthwhile enjoyment out of the game is around $150 up. That is ridiculous!

I think some of the DLC costing more than the game itself can make things a bit difficult if you ask me. I personally don't see much value in the games being over expensive and especially DLC which should be cheap though. 

For the fact that one have to pay around 50$-100$, still seeing trash videogames, shows how expensive video games have become, with below par performance. Because the developers don't put more work to enhance the performance of the game, just money running through his or her mind. 

People seem to forget that in the 90 ies when cartridges were still the norm it wasen't too uncommon for a game to cost even more then 60 euros, i remember super street fighter 2 was like a 85 euro game, my parents were nagging about the price being too high that's why i remember it so well, virtua racing was like over a 100 euro because of it's special processor it contained and that game had like 3 tracks and that was it.

To answer the question i know it's an old thread but i wasen't here yet, no i don't find it too expensive but knowing full well if i wait for a year i can pick up the game for 30 or even lower why would i pay 60. Well unless it's a nintendo game those never drop in price (sadly)

Edited by Yaramaki

Not necessarily but I think that may be because I just don't buy a lot of games ever year. I know what games I like and I tend to limit how many new games I try out which helps me save a bit of money. Paying around £100-200 for a few games every year is not too bad as it helps keep me entertained throughout the year.

16 hours ago, Rainbow Road said:

They are but that's why I buy used and/or wait until prices drop.

It's only gamers that are patient enough would be able to make use of this strategy. The likes of me that can't wait for too long for the game's prices to drop always pay the price of buying them costly.