Register Now
Martin Berisford

Do you think games are too expensive nowadays?

18 hours ago, Clasher said:

Juxtapositioning, I would say that the games are still as they were but now with a slight difference in the price due to how the game companies now package and don't sell the whole to you as they used to, so now you buy a bit of the Game at a particular price and other factions of the game are gotten through micro transactions , DLC and the rest in editions that are even way more expensive than the initial unit of the game you bought.

Even consoles are growing in prices continuously the ps2 was launched at a price $299 , ps3 at $499 to $599 depending on the version you are getting, and the price keeps going up with each release of a new console. 

I can mostly agree on the prices but you have to factor in inflation and considering how many more it costs to develop a game then it was 20 years ago the prices are still the same as they were 20 years ago. Some games are also so massive these days you'd be wondering if they even need dlc in the first place, that and microtransactions is probably a discussion for another topic, i don't play multiplayer games so i don't have to deal with them too much during gaming yet.

Well i can't say i disagree or agree with console prices because the panasonic 3do was 699$ at launch in 1993, the phillips cd-i was even more expensive at it's launch like 799 orso sure they flopped but just goes to show that not everithing was cheaper back in the day.

16 minutes ago, Yaramaki said:

I can mostly agree on the prices but you have to factor in inflation and considering how many more it costs to develop a game then it was 20 years ago the prices are still the same as they were 20 years ago. Some games are also so massive these days you'd be wondering if they even need dlc in the first place, that and microtransactions is probably a discussion for another topic, i don't play multiplayer games so i don't have to deal with them too much during gaming yet.

Well i can't say i disagree or agree with console prices because the panasonic 3do was 699$ at launch in 1993, the phillips cd-i was even more expensive at it's launch like 799 orso sure they flopped but just goes to show that not everithing was cheaper back in the day.

The reasons why the 3DO and CD-i were so expensive, aside from the fact they were made with what was emerging technology at the time, is because the manufacturing of the systems was outsourced and the only way those manufactures could make money on them was through the hardware sale itself. It's not a typical games console that can be sold for barley a profit or even a loss and still make that company money because that system served as a revenue stream to the company who made it. So I would say the 3DO and CD-i were actually more like what gaming PC's are today rather games consoles because manufactures of PC's and PC components don't see a cut of game sales, just like the 3DO and CD-i. That's why PC's are so expensive and why you simply can't build a PC that matches the performance of, let's say, a PS5 for the same price, not even close.

EDIT: Sorry to go a little odd-topic here, just thought it would be an interesting thing to mention.

Edited by Shagger

23 minutes ago, Shagger said:

I don't think you're paying much attention to what I'm saying here as you pretty much said the same things.

I didn't say game are more expensive. What I did say is that, especially considering inflation, games have at the most barely got any more to expensive to buy. I did say that that What I was saying that whilst the price hasn't really changed all things considered, it's we get these days for the money that makes games more expensive. What was once a full package for $60 is now cut up and sold back to us as DLC, deluxe editions and microtransactions. The get the full package like we used to, we're paying a lot more than just that $60 or equivalent now. The real difference between then and now isn't cost, it's value. The price of games hasn't really changed, but they're worth less is that $60 does not buy a complete package anymore.

Let's just leave the fortnite crap out of this as we have enough of that already.

I'm just going to ask the question do you bother with microtransactions from the little i got to know you on the forums i doubt it but i could be wrong with that. How many times Do you bother with Dlc? you know even that stuff goes on sale every once in a while.  You know there are still plenty of games that release without any dlc or whatsever but they are usually smaller releases.

But it's alright i feel you man, from your perspective can't say you're wrong as long you respect my oppinion as i was just pointing out you don't always have to get the lastest games right away, you can save a lot of money by holding off and that's the third and last time i'm going to say it.

Edited by Yaramaki

12 minutes ago, Yaramaki said:

Let's just leave the fortnite crap out of this as we have enough of that already.

I'm just going to ask the question do you bother with microtransactions from the little i got to know you on the forums i doubt it but i could be wrong with that. How many times Do you bother with Dlc? you know even that stuff goes on sale every once in a while.  You know there are still plenty of games that release without any dlc or whatsever but they are usually smaller releases.

But it's alright i feel you man, from your perspective can't say you're wrong as long you respect my oppinion as i was just pointing out you don't always have to get the lastest games right away, you can save a lot of money by holding off and that's the third and last time i'm going to say it.

I think the only time I bought microtransactions was when I headed a Neverwinter clan for another gaming community. I was putting together a prize package. I hate microtransactions and avoid them at all costs.

As for DLC, I'm more willing to accept. I don't mind supporting a good game post release by buying expansions. When it was a good game to begin with, expansions are usually worth the money and I'm happy to buy them. Yes, it's only a matter of time before a new version of a game comes out with all that stuff included. That happened with Horizon Zero Dawn when I bought The Frozen Wilds DLC and the The Complete Edition came out I think two months later, but it was an amazing game and it was an amazing DLC, so I didn't regret it.

Edited by Shagger

6 minutes ago, Yaramaki said:

Your points are valid man, it all boils down to the fact that gaming is a booming industry and it would suffice to say that be it the old or new versions we have all most definitely spent a fortune on games starting from the time each of us started Playing video games till now.

And I mentioned earlier that i don't bother myself to get a video game if it's way above my budget I just save a little and purchase it when i can conveniently do so.

On 6/9/2022 at 5:51 PM, Shagger said:

I don't think you're paying much attention to what I'm saying here as you pretty much said the same things.

I didn't say game are more expensive. What I did say is that, especially considering inflation, games have at the most barely got any more to expensive to buy. I did say that that What I was saying that whilst the price hasn't really changed all things considered, it's we get these days for the money that makes games more expensive. What was once a full package for $60 is now cut up and sold back to us as DLC, deluxe editions and microtransactions. The get the full package like we used to, we're paying a lot more than just that $60 or equivalent now. The real difference between then and now isn't cost, it's value. The price of games hasn't really changed, but they're worth less is that $60 does not buy a complete package anymore.

It's just like how you said about people who think they're spending thier money wisely on Fornight skins and I agree with you, they really aren't spending thier money wisely at all. People who actually spend money on that crap either have more money than sense or they have succumb to the dirty tactics and phycological manipulation these game employ. Either way, they nothing to be proud of, but like you said, it's not our place to judge and people can do what the want with thier money.

On a more official note, there has only been a handful of threads active specifically about Fortnite on VGR in recent weeks and the have clear distinctions between them in terms of the theme of conversation. Fortnite is a popular game and it's inevitable that there will be a lot of people discussing in bo on threads about Fortnight specifically and on other thread where it's appropriate to mention the game. If you think there is an issue with similar threads being active at the same time, report them and well take it from there. Without you making it clear specially what the offending threads are, there isn't much I can do.

I'm going to bring this up again because the past few weeks i've been experiencing the dark side of gaming aka fortnite first hand and no i diden't play it myself. 

I was going to post this in @kingpotato is it wise to spend on free to play thread but you locked it and probably for good reason because it was a cesspool.

Why i'm bringing this up again because i have to change my oppinion and i'm man enough to admit that i've been wrong.I've been blinded by just bargain hunting and sales for mostly single player games and how long they take to complete vs how long a game from 25 years ago last as argument. So yeah @Shagger you're right and you know the past few weeks have opened my eyes completly if you care to read a little longer i'll explain below :

The past two saturday afternoons i sat down with my girlfriend her 10 year old son. Who needless to say is addicted to fortnite, i'll admit i know nothing about fortnite other then that it's free to play and that it's pretty much everywhere. The game looks fine and all, it's not something i would play personally but taste differ, i just wanted to know more about how far this whole free to play thing goes, what better way to watch a kid play and ask some stuff along the way.

Now i don't know if this is the case with every kid but having these rare skins is like a sign of wealth aka feeling better then a kid who doesen't play as a rare paid skin and that disgusts me. The fact that my gf her son was called out by his "friends" for having a socalled louzy skin that he has been using for months made me  pissed. It's like these skins are more important then the game itself.

You know kids can be really harsh for eachother, we have all been there. I obviously tried to cheer him up but you know the kid has been trough some harsh times, lost his dad when he was 4 and is pretty much raised alone by my girlfriend for the past 6 years. I felt bad for him and In all my stupidity i said fuck let's one up on your friends and tell me what skin do you  want the most, fucking 20 bucks in v-bucks or whatever it's called for a cosmetic skin. The little dude was chuffed to bits and i want to be on his good side if i want this relationship to succeed. Obviously it only costed me 20 bucks the be the socalled most awesome person ever in his oppinion but to me it felt like selling my soul to the devil. 

And that is why i changed my oppinion, could have been phrased  a little shorter but you know can't leave the details out.

I'm admittedly too lazy to read the thread, but I don't think the prices have really changed much, even if you exclude inflation. I remember games being $50-60 back then. Prices also weren't really standardized until disc based games became the standard. It had to do with the nature of the cartridges, where one game was like $60, but another one was more expensive due to the extra chips on it. I remember seeing N64 games going for almost or at $80 in stores.

One constant I see is people fondly remembering buying games in stores for $20. Though the same thing happened then as it did now, where the game's been out for awhile, so you can pick it up brand new for $20, but the initial price was much higher.

6 hours ago, Yaramaki said:

I'm going to bring this up again because the past few weeks i've been experiencing the dark side of gaming aka fortnite first hand and no i diden't play it myself. 

I was going to post this in @kingpotato is it wise to spend on free to play thread but you locked it and probably for good reason because it was a cesspool.

Why i'm bringing this up again because i have to change my oppinion and i'm man enough to admit that i've been wrong.I've been blinded by just bargain hunting and sales for mostly single player games and how long they take to complete vs how long a game from 25 years ago last as argument. So yeah @Shagger you're right and you know the past few weeks have opened my eyes completly if you care to read a little longer i'll explain below :

The past two saturday afternoons i sat down with my girlfriend her 10 year old son. Who needless to say is addicted to fortnite, i'll admit i know nothing about fortnite other then that it's free to play and that it's pretty much everywhere. The game looks fine and all, it's not something i would play personally but taste differ, i just wanted to know more about how far this whole free to play thing goes, what better way to watch a kid play and ask some stuff along the way.

Now i don't know if this is the case with every kid but having these rare skins is like a sign of wealth aka feeling better then a kid who doesen't play as a rare paid skin and that disgusts me. The fact that my gf her son was called out by his "friends" for having a socalled louzy skin that he has been using for months made me  pissed. It's like these skins are more important then the game itself.

You know kids can be really harsh for eachother, we have all been there. I obviously tried to cheer him up but you know the kid has been trough some harsh times, lost his dad when he was 4 and is pretty much raised alone by my girlfriend for the past 6 years. I felt bad for him and In all my stupidity i said fuck let's one up on your friends and tell me what skin do you  want the most, fucking 20 bucks in v-bucks or whatever it's called for a cosmetic skin. The little dude was chuffed to bits and i want to be on his good side if i want this relationship to succeed. Obviously it only costed me 20 bucks the be the socalled most awesome person ever in his oppinion but to me it felt like selling my soul to the devil. 

And that is why i changed my oppinion, could have been phrased  a little shorter but you know can't leave the details out.

I'm glad you posted this because this is exactly what I have been saying about cosmetic microtransactions. To be fair to Fortnite, it is not pay-to-win, but that doesn't mean that the cosmetic microtransactions aren't manipulative, predatory and even harmful, maybe more so than pay-to-win. You offered a specific example, but I have literally said this this in a general context before on this forum, like here from two months ago:

402241829_shoes2022-06.thumb.png.42fff6fff2ec0ccacf0b4d7dd9f82ff3.png

Here from May

923154763_Shoes22022-06-20.thumb.png.4497f1792cb0ae28878b7fcb00452740.png

And even here almost 2 years ago (I'd also check out the vid @Crazycrab posted a little further down that thread)

6075736_Shoes32022-06-20.thumb.png.1681df79988f645a54c88930d7829c2a.png

An argument could be made that this isn't really the fault of the game, rather the crewel nature of the children playing it, but that would be very naïve. This happens all the time in Fortnight and other, similar games and it does not happen by accident. They do this on purpose, it is by design. I'll admit that part of me wanted to make this reply because of selfish vindication, but a lot of people think I'm talking nonsense when I bring this up and here is at least some proof that it really isn't.

Edited by Shagger

2 hours ago, Yaramaki said:

Unfortunately that's the reality of free to play. Even in games like Fortnite where there are no pay-to-win mechanics it is still by design to be a lesser experience without paying.  Playground bully terms like "four eyes" and "spotty" have been replaced or at least added to with "Default", in reference to the skins that someone is using.  So in the sense of getting the best skins being the primary objective, Fortnite IS pay to win.

"You want the bad kids to respect you? Either spend dozens of hours grinding or  PAY FOR IT!  Don't defend Fortnite by saying it's *Cosmetic Only", it's actually worse.  It's intentionally breeding a culture where you are nobody wether you are winning or not.

3 hours ago, Crazycrab said:

Unfortunately that's the reality of free to play. Even in games like Fortnite where there are no pay-to-win mechanics it is still by design to be a lesser experience without paying.  Playground bully terms like "four eyes" and "spotty" have been replaced or at least added to with "Default", in reference to the skins that someone is using.  So in the sense of getting the best skins being the primary objective, Fortnite IS pay to win.

"You want the bad kids to respect you? Either spend dozens of hours grinding or  PAY FOR IT!  Don't defend Fortnite by saying it's *Cosmetic Only", it's actually worse.  It's intentionally breeding a culture where you are nobody wether you are winning or not.

I took my time to go through all @Shagger and @Yaramaki has said and I am beginning to see the wrong effects such gimmicks and tricks these so called free to play games are using and how it is affecting Those kids who are very much engrossed with playing such games. You can't call a game free to play meanwhile you still need to pay to get a more better experience, skin, cosmetics or whatever that is meant to enhance your gaming experience. It's Just ridiculous really.

17 hours ago, Shagger said:

An argument could be made that this isn't really the fault of the game, rather the crewel nature of the children playing it, but that would be very naïve. This happens all the time in Fortnight and other, similar games and it does not happen by accident. They do this on purpose, it is by design. I'll admit that part of me wanted to make this reply because of selfish vindication, but a lot of people think I'm talking nonsense when I bring this up and here is at least some proof that it really isn't.

Well you know how kids are give them 20 bucks to spend and it will be gone in a few minutes. The major problem is that many parents don't seem to give a fuck about it and just buy these damned cosmetic things for their kids to keep them happy. If this shit continues kids who are now growing up will find these practises the new standard in games. I'll admit before i started dating again i never overly cared about any of this, you know it diden't bother me because i stayed away from all that free to play crap nonesense and eh i'm from oppinion why should i bother with something that doesen't really concern me.

What i would like is to talk to adult(s) who are spending a lot of money on cosmetic items and hear their part of the version maybe it will help me understand things even more. So if anyone here feels like they fit the bill and want to talk about it, let's have a serious chat about it, i'm not going to call you out for it because it's your money afterall not mine, just like to hear the logic behind it.

Owyeah i did watch that video last night, well explained and detailed. I never thought about some gaming aspects that way but in the end as devs no matter how you present your game, you want to make money.

16 hours ago, Crazycrab said:

You know i'm glad i'm not the only one who feels that way, that is from seeing about 5-6 hours of gameplay my first impression was these skins are a status symbol for kids and good to know i was right. It felt weird to think about it that way but you know relieved to say i'm not going crazy.  You don't have to convince me that fortnite is the cancer off the videogaming industry, i already know just millions of other people don't.

If you factor in inflation, games are actually cheaper now than they were in the early 2000s when the price changed to $60. Back around 2018 I did the math with an inflation calculator, and $60 from 2018 would have only been worth about $45 in 2005. I imagine today's money is worth quite a bit less. Granted there are ridiculously predatory monetization schemes in today's games and they do suck, but the root cause of them is that devs just aren't making as much money off of each copy sold as they did 15-20 years ago.

Personally I'd have no problem paying $80 or even $100 for a brand-new game, that is if today's video game industry wasn't a massive shovelware factory with no creativity churning out unfinished products. As it is, I won't pay more than $30 for a game unless it's on the Switch (since Nintendo rarely lowers their prices).