Register Now
Alexander.

Illegal game downloads

Not being a goody-two-shoes, but I don't like doing things illegally.  I mean, I won't say I haven't downloaded things illegally before - but, as a rule - I don't really like it.

Anyway, one fear is getting caught - and the other ones relate to simply "the cheating of people".  I mean, people have to make a living  - and if the shoe was on the other foot, I wouldn't want it done to me.

I agree, it's better to purchase- first off, I don't think it's the safest thing ever, and secondly, it's unethical. People are making their living off of these games, and downloading them for free is equivalent to slipping an item in your pocket as you leave a store- it's stealing.

I am neutral towards it. Because the thing is that many games are overpriced. And such illegal downloads get them to normalize their prices. So in that context I prefer to be neutral with the game downloads and the similar illegal download sites. 

I emulate hacked ROMs of Genesis games – usually Sonic hacks – but I otherwise buy my games, including the base Sonic games the aforementioned hacks are made from.

The exception is Knuckles' Chaotix, a game that SEGA seems determined to forget exists, because unlike every other classic Sonic game made, spinoff or otherwise, Chaotix pretty much never gets ported to new systems. I'm sure you can find other games in the franchise that got this treatment, but I for one want Chaotix back. I don't care that the Sonic fanbase doesn't seem to like it as much as other Sonic games of the time, I think it's worth bringing to current generations.

Edited by Executor Akamia

I think arcade games in 90s have pretty much passed the copyright year limit like usually 25 years is the limit for holding copyrights in some places. So emulating those out of copyright games can be not so illegal in some places. Ofcourse some countries have different rules for this. 

Being a classic gamer, everything I play is no longer in production. So on my end, I don't think it's actually illegal if someone wants to download a game such as, say, Zelda: A Link To The Past. While massively successful, Nintendo has moved on from that era. The same goes for Xbox (the original Xbox) and PS1. Also old games like early Final Fantasy titles, I'm pretty sure Square Enix has moved on from as well. I doubt they would really raise a stink If you downloaded FF8. But as for new stuff, like Zelda: BOTW, that IS stealing since it's currently in production. While I have never cared if a person steals from a multi billion dollar corporation, such as Walmart, you can't get around the fact that it is theft, no matter how you slice it.

So I would say a lot of it boils down to whether the game is in production or not. Old games from old systems are only available at second hand shops, so the corporation that created the game isn't making money from it anymore. So there's no real problem there.

Edited by The Blackangel

I am particularly against. But I think it's a subject that clearly has two sides because at the same time that illegal downloading is financially bad for business... It's good to make games even more popular (often better than marketing actions badly planned).

I think the economics part of it makes us think that those who download it damage the game companies. I am just surprised that on the basis of the recent donation made by the gaming company. Do they really get hurt with piracy?