Register Now
DylanC

Most imaginative enemies in a video game?

I always find enemies within video games quite interesting. From their aesthetic design, to their motivation, to their AI. For me, one of the most memorable and creative enemies for a long while has to be the Big Daddies from Bioshock. They look so cool in their retro-fitted deep sea diver suit and I actually empathise with their noble mission to protect the Little Sisters from the Splicers.

What video game enemies are memorable, or creative and have resonated with you?

EB2B9F06-9E4B-4AB2-92EB-1A14E5A88AC8.png

Edited by DylanC

I’m in agreement that the Big Daddies are awesome! At the same time, I have a hard time thinking of them as “enemies,” so much as just something I’m “forced to kill.” If anything, I tend to see them as unfortunate victims. The entire time I’m shooting, I’m apologizing all over myself. And then when the Little Sisters start blubbering over “Mr. Bubbles …” I am in such a rush to click “Rescue,” lol.

19 hours ago, StaceyPowers said:

I’m in agreement that the Big Daddies are awesome! At the same time, I have a hard time thinking of them as “enemies,” so much as just something I’m “forced to kill.” If anything, I tend to see them as unfortunate victims. The entire time I’m shooting, I’m apologizing all over myself. And then when the Little Sisters start blubbering over “Mr. Bubbles …” I am in such a rush to click “Rescue,” lol.

Aye, I totally agree. The Big Daddies are kind of the good guys. I feel sorry for them as well! Their mission to protect the Little Sisters is actually honourable. It’s a great twist.

On 3/28/2019 at 10:18 AM, DylanC said:

Aye, I totally agree. The Big Daddies are kind of the good guys. I feel sorry for them as well! Their mission to protect the Little Sisters is actually honourable. It’s a great twist.

Kind of equivalent to the Songbird in Infinite. I spent most of that game expecting to have to somehow fight that thing, so I was surprised by how it turned out. I liked that neither the bird nor the cage represented freedom so much as the bird and the cage combined. I'm pretty sure that also connects to the idea that true freedom of will may entail a combination of choices and occasionally their removal (as Booker and Elizabeth realized Booker had too much choice in his past, and that decision point at the baptism needed to be "caged" to set the world free of Comstock).

On 3/28/2019 at 10:02 AM, The Blackangel said:

Tonberrys in FF8. Weird little bastards that just want to stab you with a kitchen knife or wave a lantern in your face.

Yeah, What the hell was up with those monsters? Like seriously - you basically have a shell-less hunchback green turtle in a beige robe trying to shank you with a kitchen knife while using a lantern to blind you...Somebody must have been really high when they came up with Tonberrys. Whatever they were smoking at square enix, they need to share it🤣

Yeah, I mean just look at this little shithead. Crack is not your friend people.

And a few interesting facts about it:
1) You only get 1 AP for killing it.
2) You get no XP for killing it.
3) It can kill you in one shot. Trust me on this one.
4) It has around 20k-30k HP on average.

So who in their right mind would waste their time with it? After killing around 20 of them it lures out their king which is actually a GF, that has some VERY nice abilities. If you no longer want to have to go to town to buy items it has an ability that is called Call Shop where all you have to do is go into your ability screen and there it is. No matter where you are in the world.

On a side note who remembers the Bite Bugs? There is one, I don't know whether to call it funny or disturbing, fact about this little daemonic monstrosity from Satan's last bowel movement. I found this out about a year ago. It can fly up and FART on you. Yes that's right. Fart. How do I know it farted on me you ask? Because when it's not a standard physical attack, theres a bar at the top of the screen tha tells you what the attack is. And in big bold letters, it said FART.

tonberry2.jpg

On 4/2/2019 at 10:23 AM, The Blackangel said:

Yeah, I mean just look at this little shithead. Crack is not your friend people.

And a few interesting facts about it:
1) You only get 1 AP for killing it.
2) You get no XP for killing it.
3) It can kill you in one shot. Trust me on this one.
4) It has around 20k-30k HP on average.

So who in their right mind would waste their time with it? After killing around 20 of them it lures out their king which is actually a GF, that has some VERY nice abilities. If you no longer want to have to go to town to buy items it has an ability that is called Call Shop where all you have to do is go into your ability screen and there it is. No matter where you are in the world.

On a side note who remembers the Bite Bugs? There is one, I don't know whether to call it funny or disturbing, fact about this little daemonic monstrosity from Satan's last bowel movement. I found this out about a year ago. It can fly up and FART on you. Yes that's right. Fart. How do I know it farted on me you ask? Because when it's not a standard physical attack, theres a bar at the top of the screen tha tells you what the attack is. And in big bold letters, it said FART.

tonberry2.jpg

I probably encountered a bite bug but I can't seem to remember. I'm not even surprised.