Register Now
DylanC

Video games that changed your perspective on video games

There are a handful of video games that have been seminal experiences to me. The most important being Silent Hill 2. Not only does it have one of the most mature stories in a game, but it’s deep, symbolic and meaningful, too. It really changed the way I viewed video games. Are there any games that have had a big impact on you? If so, what was the game and why? 

758A2632-F5A9-4DFB-BFE6-3F5EC70CA4CB.jpeg

A game that was a game-changer for me when I was a kid was Myst. First of all, it was ridiculously atmospheric and creepy, and the environments really drew me in. But I also loved the story, and it was what got me interested in cosmology and metaphysics and the concept of a multiverse. I’d say it was among my first all-out obsessions growing up. It was all I thought and talked about for like a year.

My pick goes to the Deus Ex: Human Revolution - the story had some sci-fi elements to it but it was a very deep story full of controversy and conspiracy. Most of what was happening in-game is a reflection of our world today where the Government tries to control everyone's freedom of speech, using technology to enslave people as well as the constant fighting between humans of different backgrounds (humans with cybernetics vs regular humans). The constant discrimination against humans implanted with cybernetics.

Undertale. It definitely changed my perspective on what a game can be.

On 4/15/2019 at 4:42 AM, killamch89 said:

My pick goes to the Deus Ex: Human Revolution - the story had some sci-fi elements to it but it was a very deep story full of controversy and conspiracy. Most of what was happening in-game is a reflection of our world today where the Government tries to control everyone's freedom of speech, using technology to enslave people as well as the constant fighting between humans of different backgrounds (humans with cybernetics vs regular humans). The constant discrimination against humans implanted with cybernetics.

If you think Human Revolution is creepy in how accurately it reflects the world, try playing the original Deus Ex. Some of the stuff in that game still gives me chills.

Edited by Alyxx

3 hours ago, Alyxx said:

Undertale. It definitely changed my perspective on what a game can be.

If you think Human Revolution is creepy in how accurately it reflects the world, try playing the original Deus Ex. Some of the stuff in that game still gives me chills.

I have always wondered what the original game was like XD. I've played all the others but not the original...who the hell does that?

Just now, killamch89 said:

I have always wondered what the original game was like XD. I've played all the others but not the original...who the hell does that?

Get on that now. It's actually kinda mindblowing cause it's even closer to reality than the prequels (ironically).

I'll definitely check out when I have the time.

It's a bit weird but the prequels feel more futuristic and "anime" inspired than the original game which has a more grounded realistic feel to it.

11 minutes ago, killamch89 said:

I'll definitely check out when I have the time.

10 minutes ago, Alyxx said:

It's a bit weird but the prequels feel more futuristic and "anime" inspired than the original game which has a more grounded realistic feel to it.

Don't forget that the original Deus Ex games are literally the hardest of the bunch. The Deus Ex games are NOT beginner friendly and they often give you a run for your money in most ocassions.

1 minute ago, UleTheVee said:

Don't forget that the original Deus Ex games are literally the hardest of the bunch. The Deus Ex games are NOT beginner friendly and they often give you a run for your money in most ocassions.

Absolutely and Deus Ex straight up punishes you for playing it as a traditional FPS.

29 minutes ago, Alyxx said:

Absolutely and Deus Ex straight up punishes you for playing it as a traditional FPS.

Very valid point. You have to be very tactical about every encounter - you can't just run in and start shooting at everything or it's curtains for you.

31 minutes ago, UleTheVee said:

Deus Ex's difficulty is why I like their games. The AI system in Deus Ex is one of the best I've ever seen in any video game - they do a great job of using tactical maneuvers against you the player.

Very valid point. You have to be very tactical about every encounter - you can't just run in and start shooting at everything or it's curtains for you.

Deus Ex's difficulty is why I like their games. The AI system in Deus Ex is one of the best I've ever seen in any video game - they do a great job of using tactical maneuvers against you the player.

The reason is because even though you get these amazing upgrades and stuff... You're still a human being that's as fragile to bullets as it gets.

1 minute ago, UleTheVee said:

The reason is because even though you get these amazing upgrades and stuff... You're still a human being that's as fragile to bullets as it gets.

You also have the fact that even though you get amazing upgrades - they too run on battery/some kind of ammo so you cannot spam it every encounter. You have to pick and choose when to use them.