Register Now
Jayson

Using a Gaming PC for Art

I like 3D computer art and a gaming computer would be ideal.  Nonetheless, I don't have one at the moment, but it's a goal of mine.  So how many of you are into art and want a gaming computer for that reason alone, or as a side reason?

On 2nd thought, you don't really need a gaming computer - but you need at least a regular computer with an advanced graphics card and especially high memory.  Anyway, my HP at least is upgradeable to more memory and probably can handle a better graphics card.

OK, I don't think a regular computer can equal a gaming computer - though they can possibly be good enough for art.

Edited by Jayson

There is no need to use your Gaming PC for art, unless you want to. Buy a second system for artist work. The following is thought to be adequate for light illustrations work: 7200RPM(Hard Drive), 4GB Ram, 1TB storage,   2Ghz dual-core processor. A side note, the storage doesn't have to be physically on your hard drive, you could buy a PC with less storage and buy a flash drive for your work. This could work out cheaper. The whole situation depends on what Art you want to complete, @Jayson

On 12/11/2018 at 6:25 AM, xXInfectedXx said:

There is no need to use your Gaming PC for art, unless you want to. Buy a second system for artist work. The following is thought to be adequate for light illustrations work: 7200RPM(Hard Drive), 4GB Ram, 1TB storage,   2Ghz dual-core processor. A side note, the storage doesn't have to be physically on your hard drive, you could buy a PC with less storage and buy a flash drive for your work. This could work out cheaper. The whole situation depends on what Art you want to complete, @Jayson

Well, actually, a higher memory computer (or upgrade) of perhaps 8 GB - might be enough.  There is no need, necessarily, to buy a gaming computer!  However, though, I beg to disagree with you that low memory will work for all art (I think that's what you're hinting at.).  I mean, I want to do programs like Poser and they need at least 8 GB to be useful I think - or something approaching that.

Edited by Jayson

I know many people who are small game developers who design their own art. And they tend to make use of the high configuration PCs for the same. So they tend to get to use both Art and gaming on the same computer. But unfortunately I don't have the enough configuration on my PC. And it can get things pretty much expensive if I try to do the same and that's what I prefer in such case. 

On 6/19/2019 at 10:29 PM, skyfire said:

PC is extremely important because the art specific tablets and the programs are PC exclusive. You can't use the Android phone for making 3D Movies and the 2D animation games. PC is very important tool. 

The PC also needs to be equipped to deal with such demanding tasks.

On 2/26/2019 at 5:26 AM, Bravosi said:

I think when it comes to art the PC isn't that important. As long as it's able to sustain all the programms running.

Running them alone is sometimes not enough, you need to ensure it doesn't strain your PC in any significant way.

On 8/12/2019 at 8:04 PM, skyfire said:

I think the market may be slowly move to the tablet industry with more CPU and graphics power soon but it may take time as well. 

Tablets are in no way shape or form able to replace PCs for art in the near to medium terms. As a matter of fact, Tablets have stagnated over the last 3-4 years because the technology is only making trivial gains per year while PCs are growing at a steady pace.

On 8/10/2018 at 2:53 PM, Empire said:

I mean I would use an work station card rather then a day to day card

the issue with these is that they poorly perform in gaming and they cost a lot, unlike gaming cards that can kinda do both of the tasks, gaming and workstation work, not like workstation cards do, but still can get the job done for lower price and can do gaming as well!

Honestly I got a gaming computer for more than just gaming, including like writing and editing, even if you don't need a good pc for writing, I still like it when I can let 100 things be open and nothing slows down.

As for 3D art you def need a strongish pc to not wait ages for it to render.