Register Now
StaceyPowers

Games that suffered from over-hyping

When No Man’s Sky came out, I remember everyone got so down about it. Since then, I’ve heard lots of people say it’s actually a pretty awesome game in many respects, but the over-hyping made it a disappointment compared to unrealistic expectations.

I still have not played it, but I want to.

What are some other games that suffered from that kind of over-hyping?

Yeah I remember the backlash at No man's Sky , but it was able to hold on and its even getting a VR update.

For me the most over hyped game was Watchdogs, I remember the advertisements and everybody was saying it was going to be the next big thing, that it was going to beat the GTA series. And then it came out, I was able to get my hands on the game the first weekend it came out and it was awfully average. All the hacking and stealth was boring and complicated, it was more fun to just grab an assault rifle and blast my way through the missions therefore ignoring the theme of the game which was hacking and avoiding conflict. I really tried to use hacking as much as I could , it was very useful during police pursuits, but the gameplay used to simulate hacking into buildings was very boring. 

I think recently apex legend had that sort of the issue. And anthem took over the popularity. Currently the fortnite and PUBG are suffering from the overhype with each of their small releases. I have noticed that after some time people eventually get tired of the games and the hype that they have about some of the specific games. Not a lot can be done about those games though. They fade naturally from hype.

Zelda Twilight Princess was way too over hyped. It was being advertised as the greatest thing since the wheel, then when it came out, it pretty much just sucked. Sales were abysmal, and a lot of people, myself included, were seriously disappointed with it.

One really annoying thing with it was that it had more bugs in it than an anthill.

Edited by The Blackangel

Anthem was way overhyped when it is, in fact, lacking a lot of features such as a proper story and endgame content. The game itself is playable which is a plus in 2019 considering the bar has been set incredibly low by games like Fallout 76 and the gameplay seems very repetitive and that is a huge issue.

Pokemon Go too was hyped. And it turned out the people catched up. But overall it was not that good game. Many people quit it after playing few days or so. And even worst part is that not a lot of people like catching pokemons which is something many gamers noticed. It was fad for 1 to 2 months. 

8 hours ago, skyfire said:

Pokemon Go too was hyped. And it turned out the people catched up. But overall it was not that good game. Many people quit it after playing few days or so. And even worst part is that not a lot of people like catching pokemons which is something many gamers noticed. It was fad for 1 to 2 months. 

I played Pokemon GO myself when it was the hottest new thing around at the time and I remembered asking myself what is so amazing about this game. You walk around and catch Pokemon...that's literally it! As you said, I stopped playing it within a week because of how boring the game was.

Yeah even for kids the game was not much of fun. The pokemons inside however are fun which are to be played in the video game itself instead of the mobile. I think there was also hype about the minecraft too and it too died the same way. Later people realized this LEGO style world is not fun. 

I would say to some extent - Fallout 76. I do remember a good amount of other Fallout fans hyping this game up while I was being the skeptic saying it looks just like Fallout 4 online. When it came out...well it was this Fallout 4 online mess with some Skyrim animations included.

Edited by killamch89

8 minutes ago, killamch89 said:

I would say to some extent - Fallout 76. I do remember a good amount of other Fallout fans hyping this game up while I was being the skeptic saying it looks just like Fallout 4 online. When it came out...well it was this Fallout 4 online mess with some Skyrim animations included.

Yeah the over-hype helped to doom Fallout 76, the game nowadays is not that bad compared to its initial release, but considering how hyped it was before its release its not a surprise the game flopped.

1 hour ago, kingpotato said:

Yeah the over-hype helped to doom Fallout 76, the game nowadays is not that bad compared to its initial release, but considering how hyped it was before its release its not a surprise the game flopped.

I could bring up another one as well - Star Wars Battlefront 2. I remember how some gaming Youtubers I used to watch a couple of years ago were going on about this game and when it came out...EA did the usual - sell us a half-assed game laden with so much micro-transactions, the Belgium government had to create regulations just for loot boxes.

It seems like a lot of the Walking Dead games were over hyped. They tried to capitalize off the popularity of the show, but lacked so much. If I remember correctly, there was even a couple that didn't have a single character from the show? Or was that intentional? Either way, they seemed to fall short.

1 hour ago, Alyxx said:

I would say Watch_Dogs really suffered from it. The game is actually not that bad but the hype just made it really disappointing to a lot of people.

That happened in my case, I was really expecting something that equaled to GTA and ended up with an average open world game.

I would say what it does really well is world building. I've had a lot of fun just walking around in the game and paying attention to the stuff going on around you and the little stories everywhere.

I also really like how unique it was with its hacker-oriented gameplay.