Register Now
Alexander.

How do you pick a game?

I usually read or watch some reviews first to see if it’s my kind of game. Sometimes, though, I use my gut instinct to judge if it’s a game I’m in the mood for. For example, if I’m in the mood for a certain genre, I may take a chance and check out a game that’s on sale that looks up my alley.

Being that I'm a classic gamer, I know the games on the old stuff really well, so I know beforehand for the most part if I'll enjoy a game or not. With newer stuff, I stick with genres that I already know I'm a fan of. For example I'll look at a game and if a character on the cover has a gun I know instinctively that I won't like it. But if the character is holding a sword, then my interest is peaked and I give it a closer look and more consideration.

My criteria for choosing the game has changed over the years. I prefer the survival and the horror games these days. And also I like such games having the plot. It can be pretty difficult to try out the mystery and the typical scrolling shooter once you play enough FPS. Honestly in FPS I am tired of the battle royale category. 

Game reviews are huge tip to my choosing of games. It gives me an opportunity to know how much people rate the game and how good the game is. Without game reviews, it's like going in blind with choosing a game. 

To me, game reviews are both worthless and useless. Why would you choose or refuse a game based on what someone else that you've never met said? Just because they loved it, doesn't mean you will. Just because they hated it doesn't mean you will. It's the same with movies. For example I loved both Waterworld and Hancock. Both were bigtime flops, both with critics and at the box office. If I had just listened to what they said, I never would have seen 2 movies that I really enjoy watching. Now take Johnny Depp. My all time favorite actor. Mortdecai was a major bust. Career ending type of bust. I love it. The Lone Ranger was the same.

Who here enjoys Harry Potter games and movies? Remember the Evangelicals spreading hate that Harry Potter was Satan and devil worship? Not so much when you see how popular it was as ENTERTAINMENT.

A shitload of people HATED fighting games like Mortal Kombat and tried to get them off the market, but guess what? Those fighting genres are some of the biggest sellers on the market.

So don't pay attention to reviews. All you're doing there is robbing yourself of the opportunity to make up your own mind about whether you would or would not enjoy a game.