Register Now
Alexander.

Disadvantages of Gaming

Yes it's true that gaming leads to weight gain. It also leads to aggressive feeling. Trying to win argument all the time. Trying to consider yourself superior than those who don't play games. And the frustration when you don't get the latest things on the market. 

Gaming addiction has proven fatal in several cases. But in general I don't see a problem with gaming. Take people like me who are disabled, and have to sit at home all day. Gaming can actually save us. It occupies the mind, hands, eyes, and ears. Otherwise the boredom can lead to health issues, both physical and mental.

Lot of kids are being brainwashed by media on gaming and the politics. And gaming servers are prime target for brainwashing youth. And it seems like there seems to be hub for the youth brainwashing on digital themes. So it's reasonable to say that gamer kids need to control the type of content they consume and play lot longer. Those times need to be cut down for sure. 

I blame a lack of balance and perspective for social ills, not gaming.

From gaming in my youth, I learned valuable people skills which serve me in business. I’ve learned how to type quickly, which also is vital for me at work. I’ve learned about personal strengths and weaknesses. I also discovered other interests from playing games.

There was a year as a teen that I had low grades because I was so committed to an MMO. But in the long run, honestly, the things I learned that year from the game about social situations have been far more valuable to me than Algebra I has been :/

As an adult, gaming helps me regulate my OCD and sleep better at night. Games which involve decision-making and social approval systems (i.e. Dragon Age) have also helped me to be more assertive in real life when I have to make unpopular choices.

I think ultimately, whether the upsides outweigh the potential downsides of gaming comes down to how you balance your life and how you choose to let gaming change you as a person for the better. As the Rapture Reminder says, “We all make our choices. But in the end, our choices make us.” 😉

I have seen the reverse though. I have seen people on the gaming for hours tend to suffer from the social skills issues and the OCD. And also they tend to think of reality in their own distorted way. Lot of criminals have game playing history. And that's why they are being linked with gaming as bad habits. Something I can understand why people do relate something like that. It's reasonable because gamers don't pay attention to addiction. 

I would say gaming in moderation is fine and even beneficial. But when it gets out of hand, it can lead to some serious issues.

I wouldn't blame gaming solely for stuff like weight gain, aggression or stuff like that as that's still due to other factors such as underlying psychological issues, a poor diet and lack of exercise.

Edited by Alyxx

It can be therapeutic from time to time. For example when I get really pissed off, I'll pop in MK or SF2 and just beat the shit out of people on it. I can't go out in the street and start attacking people, but on there I can use Scorpion to rip apart Liu Kang. Or Blanka to fry Chun Li. Another game that I just put on practice mode so there's no timer or health bar is Soul Caliber 2. The NES version had Link as a special guest character, so that was fun. But to be honest I was always best with Kilik.

Online gaming seems to bring out the worst in many individuals. For example, I remember when COD MW 2 on the Xbox 360 had online matches and you would hear some of the most vile comments know to man. Everything from racism to threats to shoot up a school and everything in-between was said during matches.

4 hours ago, killamch89 said:

Online gaming seems to bring out the worst in many individuals. For example, I remember when COD MW 2 on the Xbox 360 had online matches and you would hear some of the most vile comments know to man. Everything from racism to threats to shoot up a school and everything in-between was said during matches.

That’s a good point. I can say the same for my MUDding days, albeit not the same types of issues. It was more just that people would act on their worst impulses to lie, cheat, steal, manipulate, betray, and so forth. They’d shrug and say “It’s only a game,” but with the massive hours people clocked in that game, that wasn’t really a valid excuse. It functioned more as a meta-verse, and its social ills were very real.

3 hours ago, StaceyPowers said:

That’s a good point. I can say the same for my MUDding days, albeit not the same types of issues. It was more just that people would act on their worst impulses to lie, cheat, steal, manipulate, betray, and so forth. They’d shrug and say “It’s only a game,” but with the massive hours people clocked in that game, that wasn’t really a valid excuse. It functioned more as a meta-verse, and its social ills were very real.

I'm not going to lie - I have been a complete douche in some online games...like turning guilds against each other but I do have a limit. I never reached the point where I am completely ruining it for other players. It's more like we all have a good laugh after everyone realizes what has taken place.

I remember how much I was addicted to the world of warcraft and also to the DOTA. And it was kind of like grind. It kept on piling up and I was not out of that. Life happened while I was into gaming. lot of things have moved ahead and passed. I am lucky I managed to do better in academics.