Register Now
Alexander.

Custom Built or Pre-Built

Custom Built or Pre Built?   

4 members have voted

1. 1. Vote

• Pre Built
    • Custom Built

Do you have a custom or Pre Built computer? 

I prefer custom built as you can customise your pc to how you would like it.

Although, I am not that tech savy and Im still trying to learn the basics of building machines. Would anyone be able to tell me a link to some visual or written tutorials on the Internet that could help me learn?

Right now, I have an Pre Made Acer Gaming Laptop. It does the job.

If this was still the Win98 era, I could tell you exactly what to do. But now I can't tell you anything. Custom is great. You can tell the builder exactly what you're wanting it to do, and how you're going to use it. They can give you what you're asking for or even exceed it. I had one custom built and told them I wanted 2 DVDRW's in it. I got it. But the last 2 comps I've had (including the one I'm using right now) were prebuilt. The comp I'm using now is an all-in-one, which is a life saver. So much better. The only alteration I've made to it, not counting files, is I taped 2 sheets of printer paper over my webcam.

Edited by The Blackangel

I usually prefer adding more RAM and tweak with graphics card before purchasing. So that's why custom built for me. I do consider the pre built in case if the person using the laptop or desktop does not have much requirements. Then any branded one would do just fine. 

51 minutes ago, UleTheVee said:

Custom built all the way. A pre-buiilt computer often tends to have failures and it's just easier to build a computer yourself anyways.

Don't forget the ridiculous warranty and repair policies that come with pre-built machines.

19 hours ago, UleTheVee said:

Custom built all the way. A pre-buiilt computer often tends to have failures and it's just easier to build a computer yourself anyways.

I know where to order parts from and which are needed. Although, I have no understanding of how to build a PC. 

How would I go about learning? What are some of the best free online tutorials/ courses that you would suggest to me? Thank you. 

7 minutes ago, xXInfectedXx said:

I know where to order parts from and which are needed. Although, I have no understanding of how to build a PC. 

How would I go about learning? What are some of the best free online tutorials/ courses that you would suggest to me? Thank you. 

Just go and get a tutorial off from YouTube or something of the sort. I suggest also getting your own screwdriver set for various sizes. You'll never know what tools you might need for your PC building.

It's like assembling a puzzle tbh..

Other than that you can also try to go for the alternative of getting it asembled in a computer shop

16 hours ago, xXInfectedXx said:

As @UleTheVee said, there are ton loads of Youtube tutorials that can teach you to build a gaming PC because that is how I built my first one as well. 

@killamch89and @UleTheVee I would like to thank you for your helpful response to my post. Probably the best option is to assemble the parts and machine together yourself as I know a PC Shop Assistant will charge me A LOT of money for something that can easily be self-taught. I can confirm that I do have a screwdriver kit with various sizes so this is something that I don't have to worry about. Are there any specific tutorials on YouTube you would recommend? Thanks. 

29 minutes ago, xXInfectedXx said:

@killamch89and @UleTheVee I would like to thank you for your helpful response to my post. Probably the best option is to assemble the parts and machine together yourself as I know a PC Shop Assistant will charge me A LOT of money for something that can easily be self-taught. I can confirm that I do have a screwdriver kit with various sizes so this is something that I don't have to worry about. Are there any specific tutorials on YouTube you would recommend? Thanks. 

He's one of my favorite tech Youtubers and his content is trustworthy. Whatever you do, do not follow any guides from the verge...

1 hour ago, xXInfectedXx said:

56 minutes ago, Darya said:

I'm with @xXInfectedXx on this. Given that I have the technological knowledge of a baby seal, I'd probably blow something up if I tried to build my own computer, regardless of whether or not I had a tutorial. 

If you feel that's the case, buy a junker computer with really old parts and constantly arm it and disarm it until you feel the flow of the building. EVeryone has to start somewhere and I can tell you as much because I have been building PC's since the beginning,

8 minutes ago, UleTheVee said:

If you feel that's the case, buy a junker computer with really old parts and constantly arm it and disarm it until you feel the flow of the building. EVeryone has to start somewhere and I can tell you as much because I have been building PC's since the beginning,

It took me a couple of days to build my first PC in 2011 because I was so nervous about screwing it up but it worked out. @xXInfectedXx @Darya Take the necessary precautions and don't hurry the process and you'll have your own gaming PC working in no time.

21 minutes ago, killamch89 said:

It took me a couple of days to build my first PC in 2011 because I was so nervous about screwing it up but it worked out. @xXInfectedXx @Darya Take the necessary precautions and don't hurry the process and you'll have your own gaming PC working in no time.

I actually got it right the first time even though Imade the mistake of installing the motherboard first (lol). So yeah, as long as you keep your head clear and you learn how your comp works, you'll get things going in no time.