Register Now
Alexander.

Opening a Gaming Store

Would anyone on this discussion board consider launching an offline gaming store? Why or why not? What investment and capital is necessary? How would you conquer other competitors? What would be different about your store, compared to others? 

Another thing that I failed to mention is that these days people don't see any reason to even play arcade type of games. So game store may have to do a lot different for attracting new people. And also this means that you have to spend a lot to even test what works and what does not in this business. Which makes it a very risky business at it's best. 

If you have the resources to stock your game store with the latest version of games as well as the old arcade games, this would help you to have different varieties of customers who would be interested in all sorts of games you are offering. 

22 hours ago, Heatman said:

If you have the resources to stock your game store with the latest version of games as well as the old arcade games, this would help you to have different varieties of customers who would be interested in all sorts of games you are offering. 

But what is the return value of such investment? I mean if there is any? I think opening a game store would be lot harder. And people have to work really hard to get people to buy stuff. Which is kind of hard in the gaming industry that's why things have gone behind paywall. 

On 3/30/2019 at 8:12 PM, mont86 said:

I would lack ambition now for such an undertaking.

I understand. Would opening a gaming store be something you'd be interested in doing though? 

Opening a business seems scary and daunting at first. However, if you break down each challenging factor you face in launching a new company, the undertaking issue will suddenly appear not be as big if you choose focus on one problem at a time. 

Edited by xXInfectedXx

These physical gaming stores are facing so much competition from online retailers these days and most are closing down today - and they will probably all go the way of the music-retail giants that once dominated high street as well - as far as music CDs went, with online downloads and selling CDs online.

Edited by Folk Artist

Yes that's the point. I do think that you can sell the gaming or any form of hardware. Because that would be always in demand. But selling the boxed games and keeping arcade machine is going to take the place into loss. And each year that place will continue to feed on money with zero profit. 

On ‎4‎/‎1‎/‎2019 at 4:47 PM, xXInfectedXx said:

I understand. Would opening a gaming store be something you'd be interested in doing though? 

Opening a business seems scary and daunting at first. However, if you break down each challenging factor you face in launching a new company, the undertaking issue will suddenly appear not be as big if you choose focus on one problem at a time. 

No I wouldn't have the time or patience anymore... or the knowledge...

Yes business requires a lot of patience. And it means that there needs to be pretty effective measures for the time management and also acquiring new knowledge is a thing of it's own. I guess we learn about all of this through experience and this does not come in one go. 

On 4/3/2019 at 9:41 PM, mont86 said:

No I wouldn't have the time or patience anymore... or the knowledge...

What @skyfire said, a self-sustained business isn't something that just works out overnight. Most times it takes months/years of failures before you see any profit from all your hard work and it is daunting.

I think many people think that just because streaming earns money they think selling games also works out. I dont think that is the case with any other business models with respect to the selling or even the gaming hours cafes.