Register Now
Jayson

Cheat Guides - Is it a easy way out?

I feel like people should be allowed to play games the way they want to play. Personally, I try not to use them, but if a game is just making me miserable in trying to get through a specific part, I'll look up how to beat it so that I can move on. Life's too short to get stuck for very long.

Hand-holding guides can be very useful for achieving 100% or winning a game in a specific way (to see a special ending, etc). So they definitely serve their purpose.

As for resources, GameFAQs is still one of the best places to find quality free guides IMO. I've been going there since 2002. Every game has a dedicated board too, so if you have a specific unanswered question you have it answered directly. And of course YouTube is the best place to find footage if you have a hard time visualizing something described in text.

On 8/11/2018 at 8:36 AM, Keranov said:

I have looked at some videos in YouTube before how to pass a level in Assassin's Creed IV Black Flag. There was a mission where I have failed more than 15 times and finally decided to watch a guide on how to pass it.

Haha, Think we've all had that problem not a thing to be ashamed of. Honestly most of the time it happened and I ended up looking at a video it was basically in front of me and I didn't know. 😛 

19 hours ago, ApolloVI said:

I feel like people should be allowed to play games the way they want to play. Personally, I try not to use them, but if a game is just making me miserable in trying to get through a specific part, I'll look up how to beat it so that I can move on. Life's too short to get stuck for very long.

Hand-holding guides can be very useful for achieving 100% or winning a game in a specific way (to see a special ending, etc). So they definitely serve their purpose.

As for resources, GameFAQs is still one of the best places to find quality free guides IMO. I've been going there since 2002. Every game has a dedicated board too, so if you have a specific unanswered question you have it answered directly. And of course YouTube is the best place to find footage if you have a hard time visualizing something described in text.

Yeah, I agree.  If I really am dead-set on getting thru a level or game and it's taken days with no luck, then I'd want a cheat guide.  For instance, for the life of me, I could not figure out Paper Mario.  I couldn't get past the 1st level, despite acing many other Mario games.

On 8/11/2018 at 5:35 AM, Jayson said:

I think it takes the fun out so I would rather avoid it - unless it's a desperate situation!  Anyway, some good places for cheat guides are the IGN board and YouTube.  Who has been to those places?

Personally, it's not a thing for me. I'd never try to consider it for any reason whatsoever because it's not really worth it. I don't learn anything making use of them.