Register Now
DC

VGR Forum Wants Your Feedback

On 3/30/2019 at 10:21 PM, DC said:

Do you like the forums and sub-forums the way they are set up? Are they easy to navigate?

I have some difficulty remembering which subjects can be posted where (ie General Gaming and Video Games), and on top of that General Chat has sub-forums listed with topics underneath it such as this, so it seems a bit inconsistent. Other than that, I'm generally fine with it.

Are there any features you’d like to add or remove?

The removal of Points. I get people like giveaways, and I like updoots on a forum but it encourages way too much spam. I'm currently at the point where I ignore notifications from select users because my contribution doesn't matter to them as much as their desire to meaninglessly bump the thread. Bidding for rewards has also proven difficult when the margins between regular and spam posters becomes impossibly distant. This isn't jealousy or saltiness for not getting prizes; I find points have become a motivator for poor forum practice.

Thankfully the ignore functions are working and I'll be applying them liberally, but that means less reporting for Spring cleaning. As long as it cleans up the readability of threads, I'll likely stick with ignoring users.

Would you like to see features like being able to list your PSN username (for example) on your Profile or a VGR free-to-play arcade?

It's not my sort of thing but this isn't a vote against by any means. I'm sure it'll be useful to those who want it.

Do you like the look and feel of the forum?

Very much so. I appreciate the site has a dark mode applied by default, meaning I don't have to resort to browser add-ons to make it readable. It's disappointing when one has to do that. The VGR forum is instantly appealing right out the gate.

Is it easy to create new topics? Do you experience any errors when you use the forum?

It's incredibly easy, and I've yet to experience an error. I would however like the window for editing posts to be longer lasting as I'm tempted to add more in the future once I've collected my thoughts, but don't want to clog up the page with addendums which wouldn't be fair on other readers.

Are you happy with the culture and policies on VGR forum? Do you feel welcome and included?

Mostly. See the above feedback about spam. Others have been diplomatic about it getting better, but I do not subscribe to such niceties. My enjoyment of the forum has dipped considerably because of it, as has my post quality which reflects my mood all too often. It's simply too difficult to interact with other users on certain topics without interrupting a conversation that should be happening in some form of chat channel, or in a Reddit comment chain.

I realise this same old drum has been banged upon enough, and there's not a lot the moderators can do. It can't be an easy time keeping new users and frequent ones in control, so all who run this place have my congratulations.

Edited by Withywarlock

Been on the forum only a few weeks no doubts there are a lot of interesting topics one can enjoy reading and making comments on, which is why I keep coming back every now and then when I have some few minutes to spare.

The theme of the forum is quite appealing not too colourful or bright which make it easy to be here for another thirty minutes without hurting my eyes.

The moderators are also trying their best though and it ain't easy moderating such a big community like VGR.

@DC has been so welcoming and always willing to do what is right by everyone and keep the forum running smoothly.

Its still very nice to spend my spare minutes here when I have the time to do so.

It might be just me but it seems general gaming topics are sorta hard for me to find.I've been here a while and still get confused.I'm sorry I can't describe exactly what it is.And it may be my mediocre internet but sometimes trying to post, the text cursor doesn't show up and I'm unable to type anything. I don't have that problem with other sites but I eventually get it to work.

I've been on forums for quite a few years and the search for this site is easily the best I've tried. I only put in a few words of the thread into the search and boom there it is.You have politics properly in a different section so that helps inclusivity.I've had a good time here.

There should be a game spoiler section where people are free to debate without spoiler restrictions. That is greatly lacking. How do we talk about games we love for fear of spoilers? When I played TLOU2 I felt all alone in my opinions. It's dead now, nothing matters. Time is over. But I think there could have been great debate when people have completed legendary games like that. Some sites warn you of spoilers before preceding. This is a big issue to be able to feel free to talk about games in full extent. 

On 7/1/2022 at 6:00 AM, Reality vs Adventure said:

There should be a game spoiler section where people are free to debate without spoiler restrictions. That is greatly lacking. How do we talk about games we love for fear of spoilers? When I played TLOU2 I felt all alone in my opinions. It's dead now, nothing matters. Time is over. But I think there could have been great debate when people have completed legendary games like that. Some sites warn you of spoilers before preceding. This is a big issue to be able to feel free to talk about games in full extent. 

100% agreed with this. I'm not bothered by spoilers myself, but I do appreciate people keep spoilers to a minimum in general discussion no matter how old something is. Another forum to discuss that without adding [SPOILERS] and all manner of spacing would be great. A spoiler feature in post/edit mode would also be nice, like how Reddit and other sites do things by placing a black bar over text where you can click on it to temporarily remove it.

On the one hand it doesn't take much to say "have you played [x]? Oh, in that case, I won't spoil it," and on other other hand there should be a place to discuss - without caveats, disclaimers or yabbits - games and all that will spoil them. I think titles should still be respectfully ambiguous like "TLOU2's Ending", but abandon hope all ye who enter.