Register Now
SpaceExplorer

Space games

12 hours ago, DylanC said:

I’ve not written a in-depth review, I did write about FTL here as it was one of my 7 favourite games of all time: https://wegotthiscovered.com/gaming/wgtc-staff-list-7favegames/2/ 

My thoughts on FTL: [ Have you ever wanted to be Jean-Luc Picard? Okay, fine, who’s your favorite Star Trek Captain? Well, FTL: Faster Than Light is the closest yet to ever fulfilling that power fantasy you’ve always secretly had. It’s a superbly-crafted space rogue-lite that is brutally difficult and astutely designed. The writing is excellent too; you legitimately feel like you are a part of a huge conflict, with slaver ships, boarding crews, asteroids and solar flares patiently waiting to wreak havoc upon your fragile Federation spaceship and your amiable crew. If you have an iPad lying around, then you should totally check this out — it’s a perfect fit for touchscreen controls. Set phasers to “fun!” ]

Thanks for the awesome mini-review. Sold, lol :)

Dead Space and Dead Space 2 and Battlefront 2 are my favorite space games, although I'm not really much into playing them more often as I used to be because I have my flair for some games shifted to other game genres. 

4 hours ago, Heatman said:

Dead Space and Dead Space 2 and Battlefront 2 are my favorite space games, although I'm not really much into playing them more often as I used to be because I have my flair for some games shifted to other game genres. 

EA has ruined so many games for me that I just can't find it within myself to play another EA title.

Hey, sorry for replying late. I was out of town for a few days.

About EVE and my experience with it. Yeah, the cosmetics can get a bit pricy. But that's true with all of the games, I reckon. I mean, have you seen how much do some of the skins in CS:GO cost? It's absurd!

Player interaction depends on yourself. You can play solo and keep to the shadows, or you join a corporation (like a guild in other MMOs) with other players. I tend to play Solo as I don't play often and don't want to commit myself too much so I might not be the best to talk about player interaction. But corps can get crazy, forming alliances with each other, starting wars, etc.

The game can be a bit overwhelming at first, but I recommend you try it. It's free, after all! 

FTL seems interesting, but I never got a chance to play it yet. It's on my list to play.

@SpaceExplorer 

There are definitely worse things than pricy cosmetics. I’d much rather that paid upgrades were aesthetic in nature. What really angers me is when people can pay for meaningful upgrades (i.e. better weapons).

Re: player interaction … I probably didn’t get specific enough. I don’t really mean whether players ally up … I mean more like … do you know if they have actual conversations? I gather that in most MMOs these days, players will team up to accomplish objectives, but they don’t really bother to relate on a human level.

10 hours ago, StaceyPowers said:

Re: player interaction … I probably didn’t get specific enough. I don’t really mean whether players ally up … I mean more like … do you know if they have actual conversations? I gather that in most MMOs these days, players will team up to accomplish objectives, but they don’t really bother to relate on a human level.

I think that really depends on the person. You will find some talkative people and those just stick to themselves. I've met both. So yeah, it really depends on the person you meet and how you are as a person, talkative or reserved. 

Also, as we are on the topic of space games, this trailer was released yesterday and it got me interested. In a way, it gives me the Freelancer feel. I did start playing one of their games recently, but this one seems to be way different. I'll keep an eye on this one for sure.

Dead Space had me shook for a minute.  Loved it to death.

I haven't played Mass Effect 2 yet, but it's been on my list forever.  These days, I enjoy listening to more TTRPG Podcasts like Androids & Aliens, though.  It's a great D&D in space campaign that scratches that RPG itch while I listen passively.

On 4/10/2019 at 8:36 PM, jonbones said:

Dead Space had me shook for a minute.  Loved it to death.

I haven't played Mass Effect 2 yet, but it's been on my list forever.  These days, I enjoy listening to more TTRPG Podcasts like Androids & Aliens, though.  It's a great D&D in space campaign that scratches that RPG itch while I listen passively.

EA killed off Visceral studios so no more Dead Space - ever! It was one of my favorite games to play as well - I loved it so much I had on my iPhone at the time.

On 4/6/2019 at 9:12 PM, kingpotato said:

I googled EVE online and one thing I notice on the comments about the game is that cosmetics and other things seem to be very expensive, like a 70 dollar monocle.
Is this true ?

You have to keep servers for something, this game has been around for so long :O
I do not know if I should write something more, if you were looking at Google, you already know a lot.

But if you wanted to learn to play EVE - it will take a long time. While I was playing for two years, I was still learning new things. It's a very complicated game

Edited by Regov

On 4/23/2019 at 9:42 AM, Regov said:

You have to keep servers for something, this game has been around for so long 😮
I do not know if I should write something more, if you were looking at Google, you already know a lot.

But if you wanted to learn to play EVE - it will take a long time. While I was playing for two years, I was still learning new things. It's a very complicated game

That's why I never really gave it a look either because it is a complicated game with in-game politics and the whole works.

Anyone played the homeworld? It's one good game worth listing here. Do check out it's gameplay and videos. I am sure you'd find much better flow for the gaming that way. I love that game because in those times it was much ahead concept.