Register Now
Alexander.

Age restrictions

Thinking back to your child hood, did your parents ever buy 15/16/18/21 age restricted computer games for you to play? Why or why not? Do you agree with their decision? 

Share your experiences below and what you personally think about the above. 

Edited by xXInfectedXx

56 minutes ago, kingpotato said:

Never had that issue as a child, but I do now as an adult xD My girl will not allow me to get games with sexualized characters (nier automata/bayoneta).

Tell your girlfriend it's just a game.

15 hours ago, xXInfectedXx said:

Thinking back to your child hood, did your parents ever buy 15/16/18/21 age restricted computer games for you to play? Why or why not? Do you agree with their decision? 

Share your experiences below and what you personally think about the above. 

My parents got me Mortal Kombat, GTA , Max Payne, RE etc. They bought them because I loved the games and I never really had any issues.

8 minutes ago, killamch89 said:

Does she think you will cheat on her with Bayonetta or something?  😂

No sure, but one must never see other butts while in a relationship, even if the butt is a fake 3d game. 

Edited by kingpotato

it's hard to put those restrictions on kids. It can be pretty difficult to say that age restrictions can fix those things. I think the best way is to limit some of the access of kids towards such type of the content. 

21 hours ago, kingpotato said:

Never had that issue as a child, but I do now as an adult xD My girl will not allow me to get games with sexualized characters (nier automata/bayoneta).

That sort of behaviour would be a deal-breaker for me. It's not that the sexualized characters are all that important, but I don't like people feeling they can restrict my activities.

19 hours ago, killamch89 said:

You know what mate? I'll just go back to minding my own business...lol

Same ... lol. To each his own, right? =D

Anyway, back on the original topic, my family looked at games more as communal property. If a game ended up in the house, everyone who felt like playing it did, regardless of whom it was purchased by or for. My family was pretty repressive regarding media use in general, but that was mostly my mother, and she didn't really "get" computers, so it was the area where she had the least influence. As a result, I got to play most things I wanted without any issues. It was books, movies, TV and music where she had all sorts of restrictions.

Actually, one HUGE stupid restriction she had was a strict ban on ALL RPGs, whether digital or tabletop. She thought they were devil worship or something.

Edited by StaceyPowers

25 minutes ago, StaceyPowers said:

That sort of behaviour would be a deal-breaker for me. It's not that the sexualized characters are all that important, but I don't like people feeling they can restrict my activities.

Same ... lol. To each his own, right? =D

Anyway, back on the original topic, my family looked at games more as communal property. If a game ended up in the house, everyone who felt like playing it did, regardless of whom it was purchased by or for. My family was pretty repressive regarding media use in general, but that was mostly my mother, and she didn't really "get" computers, so it was the area where she had the least influence. As a result, I got to play most things I wanted without any issues. It was books, movies, TV and music where she had all sorts of restrictions.

Actually, one HUGE stupid restriction she had was a strict ban on ALL RPGs, whether digital or tabletop. She thought they were devil worship or something.

To be honest, I never grew up with that many restrictions so I got away with playing any game I want.

22 hours ago, killamch89 said:

To be honest, I never grew up with that many restrictions so I got away with playing any game I want.

You're lucky. I always seemed to be involved in a pitched battle over something I wanted to play/read/listen to/watch.

3 hours ago, StaceyPowers said:

You're lucky. I always seemed to be involved in a pitched battle over something I wanted to play/read/listen to/watch.

Well, I was way more mature than most of my peers and even though I got into fights on a somewhat regular basis, I never really started any of them. I was also very strong-headed and stubborn so I never really succumbed to peer pressure so in an odd way they did trust me enough.

3 hours ago, Heatman said:

Well, my parents never put any restrictions on my game playing except for the time my gaming time were drafted for me in order to have me take care of other things I need to do. 

Funny enough, I would get do whatever required my attention so I wouldn't be disturbed from my gaming.

10 hours ago, Heatman said:

Well, my parents never put any restrictions on my game playing except for the time my gaming time were drafted for me in order to have me take care of other things I need to do. 

Time slot system works out just fine. I think depending on how we are letting the kids know when to study and when to play games. Things would be lot different in that context. That's something can be said for sure.