Register Now
StaceyPowers

Disabled Gamers

I'm an amateur writer. I've finished 2 novels, a few short stories, and a shitload of unconventional poetry. I don't know if that counts as a craft or not, but I enjoy it because I get to be god (or in my case goddess) and do whatever I want to the characters. I can get out my frustrations and be as cruel or kind as I want.

17 hours ago, StaceyPowers said:

I make jewelry, and I've noticed the same is true for crafting. Come to think of it, the disabled crafters I've met through jewelry-making are also into gaming.

I draw and paint, and I do parchment craft. All things that relax my brain and focuses my energy on something positive and enjoyable. Just like gaming does.

6 minutes ago, The Blackangel said:

I'm an amateur writer. I've finished 2 novels, a few short stories, and a shitload of unconventional poetry. I don't know if that counts as a craft or not, but I enjoy it because I get to be god (or in my case goddess) and do whatever I want to the characters. I can get out my frustrations and be as cruel or kind as I want.

Sounds like a good way of channeling what goes on inside you. 

9 hours ago, StaceyPowers said:

What is parchment craft?

You make cards and other things out of parchment paper. Parchment paper has some unique properties, like it's semi transparent, but when you rub on it with embossing tools it goes solid white. You can also poke lots of little holes in it and it won't come apart. Then you can cut between the holes to make patterns. And you can paint or draw on it.

18 hours ago, StaceyPowers said:

I write too. Do you have any of your work online? 

For me, writing is the opposite. I am obsessed with control (because I feel I have so little of it) in most of my life, but with writing, I can release the tiller and just put down on the page what comes to me. 

I have most of it uploaded to a page hidden within a website. But unless I know you really well I don't share it.

On 4/10/2019 at 10:16 PM, LadyDay said:

You make cards and other things out of parchment paper. Parchment paper has some unique properties, like it's semi transparent, but when you rub on it with embossing tools it goes solid white. You can also poke lots of little holes in it and it won't come apart. Then you can cut between the holes to make patterns. And you can paint or draw on it.

That sounds really cool. If you have anything posted online, I'd love to check it out.

On 4/11/2019 at 7:20 AM, The Blackangel said:

I have most of it uploaded to a page hidden within a website. But unless I know you really well I don't share it.

Totally understandable. I'm the same way about my writing.

I myself am not disabled, my brother, however (a huge gamer) is. He suffered from severe burns as a child and therefore does not have fingers and yet he can do nearly everything, especially gaming, better than I can, with or without modified controls.

Indeed, I'm surprised by the percentage of people who mentioned a disability here. However, it does makes sense. A disability shouldn't stop you overcoming any challenges in your life.

Custom gaming setups including modified controllers and special assistive technology, such as devices that allow you to play with your eyes are examples of modern day technology that you can purchase.

Edited by xXInfectedXx

The new technology that's allowing those who would be otherwise unable to play at the same level of those who are perfectly healthy is incredible, and I love that people are taking resources and time to work on these products in the first place. It's admirable and the inclusion we should all want.

That is amazing about your brother--especially that he can play that well without modified controls. How does he deal with the regular sticks and buttons?

He can move his hands relatively fast but to be frank, I'm not entirely sure how he plays so well- I guess it's just him having lived so long like this that he's used to adapting to do things a bit differently? He's honestly so incredible when it comes to doing things without fingers.