Register Now
StaceyPowers

Why do people hate on popular games?

I understand that not every person is going to adore every game which was ever popular, but I don’t understand why so many people are obsessed with hating on them.

As a random example, I swear I see at least one post a day on the web where someone says, “The Last of Us is not a great game, no matter what people say.”

I don’t begrudge anyone their opinions (although, it is irritating when they state them as if they are objective facts), but the sheer quantity of these posts kind of baffles me. Why is there a compulsive human need to hate on things that do well?

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion so at the end of the day not everyone will like a particularly popular game. Maybe they were looking for a particular experience in a game and it didn't compel them as they would have wanted. All that matters is that you like what you like and nobody can take that away from you.

It can be a few things, some people won't like the game because it's only exclusive to playstation/xbox. Someone told me that they hate it when a game has too much story like 'The last of us' (which I think is a bloody amazing game) instead they would rather just play the game. Personally, I like it when it has a story that's pretty deep because then, you can get very invested in the characters and so on.

1. because the publisher tends to overhype and then the devs don't deliver. -.- aka Anthem (even tho, it now looks that Anthem will become the next No Man's Land)
2. because the game is too hard even though that's what the game's intention was -.- aka Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice (even tho, some speed-runners have finished it in an hour!)

3. because some people just like to hate on stuff, because jumping on the hate-wagon is really easy. Hate bounces from person to person and spreads instantaneously.

The third group's probably the largest by a vast margin. 

Praise, love, and play. Cheers! ❤️

13 hours ago, AnaSuper91 said:

1. because the publisher tends to overhype and then the devs don't deliver. -.- aka Anthem (even tho, it now looks that Anthem will become the next No Man's Land)
2. because the game is too hard even though that's what the game's intention was -.- aka Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice (even tho, some speed-runners have finished it in an hour!)

3. because some people just like to hate on stuff, because jumping on the hate-wagon is really easy. Hate bounces from person to person and spreads instantaneously.

Some valid points here as well but the third one isn't as common as you'd like to believe. Yes, there are people who hate certain games for no other reason than to go against the popular opinion but there are other factors that far exceed that when it comes to games.

13 hours ago, iddy1994 said:

It can be a few things, some people won't like the game because it's only exclusive to playstation/xbox. Someone told me that they hate it when a game has too much story like 'The last of us' (which I think is a bloody amazing game) instead they would rather just play the game. Personally, I like it when it has a story that's pretty deep because then, you can get very invested in the characters and so on.

I hate shallow games as well - A game with little to no lore at all isn't really appealing to play because you won't be immersed in the game and lose interest very quickly.

On 4/7/2019 at 11:36 PM, AnaSuper91 said:

Yep many do say the hate any popular game, movie, book etc just because its easy to hate popular stuff.

On 4/7/2019 at 11:26 PM, iddy1994 said:

I know that stories aren't everyone's cup of tea, as I've known people who just don't connect with them. It does make me wonder why they'd play TLOU in the first place being as that game is obviously very story/character-centered. I'm not irritated when people phrase their complaints with precision, i.e. "I didn't like TLOU because I am not into stories," but I get really irritated if it's just "TLOU isn't a good game." The latter is both vague and a false objective statement (It may not be a good game to them, but that does not make it a "bad" game objectively as it is phrased). Regardless, the same things draw me to a game as do you, and TLOU is--to me--bloody amazing as well :)