Register Now
StaceyPowers

What are the biggest problems in the video game industry today?

What are the biggest problems in the video game industry today?

There obviously are quite a lot of problems plaguing the video game industry right now. Crunch time, anti-consumer practices, toxicity in workplaces, etc.

Which problems do you think are the biggest right now in terms of impacting game quality as well as quality of life for those working hard to make our games?

Greedy game publishers putting out unfinished/broken games and selling them at premium prices and a "day 1 patch" is needed before the game can even be functional. On top of that, they charge you for the DLCs and add mictransactions to very essential items that are needed for progress in the game basically forcing you to spend money on top of what the game and its DLCs cost. When a game tanks, the developers are threatening their consumers keeping in mind that the consumer is the reason you still have a business.

1 hour ago, killamch89 said:

Greedy game publishers putting out unfinished/broken games and selling them at premium prices and a "day 1 patch" is needed before the game can even be functional. On top of that, they charge you for the DLCs and add mictransactions to very essential items that are needed for progress in the game basically forcing you to spend money on top of what the game and its DLCs cost. When a game tanks, the developers are threatening their consumers keeping in mind that the consumer is the reason you still have a business.

On top of that, the gaming community is also become quite known for forgiving these practices. The promise of "Better content later" which isn't a guarantee (-ahem- Final Fantasy XV) and the whole concept of the Megapatch is just so horrendeus that it makes me sick.

Unfortunately, there's a huge problem of mistrust in the press as well. Hell, I know that you've been accussed of plagiarism @StaceyPowers which just goes to show how much the community doesn't trust journalists in general. It's a huge shame because we're supposed to protect the consumers as well. SO what happens when the community refuses to listen to them?

29 minutes ago, UleTheVee said:

Unfortunately, there's a huge problem of mistrust in the press as well. Hell, I know that you've been accussed of plagiarism @StaceyPowers which just goes to show how much the community doesn't trust journalists in general. It's a huge shame because we're supposed to protect the consumers as well. SO what happens when the community refuses to listen to them?

The entire issue of distrust in gaming journalism is complicated by the fact that the nature of "journalism" online is itself ambiguous (who is a journalist? who is a blogger?), and we live in a time of extreme aggregation.  I agree that we have a responsibility both to consumers and to others in the industry to try and maximize transparency.

Edited by StaceyPowers

On 4/9/2019 at 7:01 PM, StaceyPowers said:

The entire issue of distrust in gaming journalism is complicated by the fact that the nature of "journalism" online is itself ambiguous (who is a journalist? who is a blogger?), and we live in a time of extreme aggregation.  I agree that we have a responsibility both to consumers and to others in the industry to try and maximize transparency.

That's true because I when most gaming media outlets post reviews about a game, I do my own research before coming to the conclusion if the claims they made were consistent with other reviewers.

35 minutes ago, Alyxx said:

I would say it's stuff like loot boxes, too many games jumping on trends like Battle Royale and the fact we still don't have Half-Life 3.

Half-Life is like that one absentee father that said he was going to the store and decades later you're still waiting for him to come back.🤣

I would like to appreciate most video games companies for doing all they can to satisfy gamers needs. One problem I would possibly point out here is the game fans, our desires are never ending, there putting lots of pressure on the game companies to keep improving. 

45 minutes ago, Heatman said:

I would like to appreciate most video games companies for doing all they can to satisfy gamers needs. One problem I would possibly point out here is the game fans, our desires are never ending, there putting lots of pressure on the game companies to keep improving. 

It's important we keep those standards high or else you end up with stuff like Fallout 76 or Elder Scrolls Blades or better yet - Star Wars Battlefront 2 because I think that was the last time I ever bought an EA game (it has been a long time.)