Register Now
Darya

Video games you expected to dislike

Are there any video games/consoles that you expected to really dislike but actually end up loving instead? Maybe vice versa?

Personally, I can't think of anything I had expectations for that were completely flipped, I've always found I've had a more open mind when it comes to video games (unlike many other things in my life such as books and movies).

4 hours ago, Darya said:

Are there any video games/consoles that you expected to really dislike but actually end up loving instead? Maybe vice versa?

Personally, I can't think of anything I had expectations for that were completely flipped, I've always found I've had a more open mind when it comes to video games (unlike many other things in my life such as books and movies).

I had very low expectations towards Resident Evil 7. Everything ended up changing after I started playing.

Final Fantasy 8. At the time I thought it was just a way too open game. Give me a break, it was the PS1 era. I was used to games in smaller worlds, that were more short sighted. FF8 comes out and there's this huge world, and you go everywhere, finding things that you didn't know existed, and half the time don't know how to find, you end up in outer space, it was just more than my brain wanted to deal with at the time. Now I can't stop playing it.

Max Payne 3, my expectations where very low since I knew it wasnt going to be the Noir New york style of the previous two games. The game was still very good with a great gameplay and narrative, But still I cant help to think of it as a side story.

On 4/16/2019 at 4:40 PM, Alyxx said:

Borderlands 1. Expected to hate it, ended up becoming one of my favourite games.

Just out of interest, why did you not expect to like Bonderlands? Bad reviews, terrible game trailer or another reason? 

Why has it ended up becoming one of your most favoured games? What do you enjoy most about Bonderlands 1?

I have never heard of the amusement up until I read your post. What's the concept and would you recommend it to me? Thank you 

Edited by xXInfectedXx

The Monster Hunter series. A friend of mine got me into it starting with Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate on 3DS, and I wasn't really sold on the premise at first. Then I actually played the game, and I've been hooked ever since, slaying dragons and other huge monstrosities with impunity.

19 minutes ago, Executor Akamia said:

The Monster Hunter series. A friend of mine got me into it starting with Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate on 3DS, and I wasn't really sold on the premise at first. Then I actually played the game, and I've been hooked ever since, slaying dragons and other huge monstrosities with impunity.

Thats a good game, I played my first on the Wii with Monster hunter 3 and I didnt liked it because of the controllers, I gave it a second chance on the 2ds and I truly enjoyed it.

7 hours ago, xXInfectedXx said:

Just out of interest, why did you not expect to like Bonderlands? Bad reviews, terrible game trailer or another reason? 

Why has it ended up becoming one of your most favoured games? What do you enjoy most about Bonderlands 1?

I have never heard of the amusement up until I read your post. What's the concept and would you recommend it to me? Thank you 

I think it was just the art style and the fact it wasn't like other shooters I was playing at the time. Back then I was a bit more "aspergery" and would avoid any media that didn't immideately catch my attention.

Of course I ended up giving it a go and ended up loving it so that shows how wrong I was.

If you want some info on what Borderlands is, I recommend checking out my review of it: https://www.vgr.com/borderlands-goty-edition-pc-game-review/

Alien Isolation - I had played previous Alien games and I found them to be very underwhelming but then Isolation came out. I noticed it had some pretty good reviews from other gamers so I did my own research and decided to buy it. It is one of the best horror games I've ever played and the first horror game to make look over my shoulder every 5 seconds.

Just now, killamch89 said:

Alien Isolation - I had played previous Alien games and I found them to be very underwhelming but then Isolation came out. I noticed it had some pretty good reviews from other gamers so I did my own research and decided to buy it. It is one of the best horror games I've ever played and the first horror game to make look over my shoulder every 5 seconds.

I've never heard of Alien Isolation (oops?) but it doesn't sound much my type. I don't like horror video games, they freak me out too much.

1 minute ago, Darya said:

I've never heard of Alien Isolation (oops?) but it doesn't sound much my type. I don't like horror video games, they freak me out too much.

That's the point of the game - Especially when you are on a ship swarming with aliens that can pop up out of anywhere. The Aliens also are very adaptive and grow smarter so the same tricks won't work on them after a few times. The atmospheric music when an Alien pops up suddenly really adds to the experience. I once jumped off my bed because the curtain brushed me while playing this.Â đŸ˜‚

4 minutes ago, killamch89 said:

That's the point of the game - Especially when you are on a ship swarming with aliens that can pop up out of anywhere. The Aliens also are very adaptive and grow smarter so the same tricks won't work on them after a few times. The atmospheric music when an Alien pops up suddenly really adds to the experience. I once jumped off my bed because the curtain brushed me while playing this.Â đŸ˜‚

I get that that's the point, but knowing myself I'd be screaming at like 2 AM in the morning and my parents would be rather concernedÂ đŸ˜‚Â But honestly, that sounds really cool. Maybe if I ever grow a pair I'll check it out.

11 minutes ago, Darya said:

I get that that's the point, but knowing myself I'd be screaming at like 2 AM in the morning and my parents would be rather concernedÂ đŸ˜‚Â But honestly, that sounds really cool. Maybe if I ever grow a pair I'll check it out.

If you have anxiety issues, I recommend not playing it.