Register Now
UleTheVee

People are Being Ironically Racist

So what if the protagonist is white? Does the color of his skin affect his Jedi powers or something? I asked the same question last week and I'm going to it again - why do some gaming journalists always try to stir up controversy over non-issues?

I agree, this whole issue just seems like a way for a journalist to gain a little bit of attention- white male protagonists have never seemed to pose much of an issue before, why stir up controversy now? It's ridiculous, it's not racist, sure, a little bit exclusive, but nonetheless, nothing to get worked up over.

2 hours ago, killamch89 said:

So what if the protagonist is white? Does the color of his skin affect his Jedi powers or something? I asked the same question last week and I'm going to it again - why do some gaming journalists always try to stir up controversy over non-issues?

I'm glad taht you at least say "Some gaming journalists" unlike...

1 hour ago, Darya said:

I agree, this whole issue just seems like a way for a journalist to gain a little bit of attention- white male protagonists have never seemed to pose much of an issue before, why stir up controversy now? It's ridiculous, it's not racist, sure, a little bit exclusive, but nonetheless, nothing to get worked up over.

It is racist... Racist towards whites.

1 hour ago, UleTheVee said:

I'm glad taht you at least say "Some gaming journalists" unlike...

It doesn't make sense painting everyone with the same brush because not everyone is guilty of it. I notice that some of the gaming journalists from companies like the verge love to stir up controversy when there is no issue at all.

3 minutes ago, killamch89 said:

It doesn't make sense painting everyone with the same brush because not everyone is guilty of it. I notice that some of the gaming journalists from companies like the verge love to stir up controversy when there is no issue at all.

Well, I'm glad that at least you can tell the difference.

10 hours ago, UleTheVee said:

I wouldn't go so far as to say it's racism against whites because the whole point isn't that one race is superior to another, it's that the journalist believes that there's too many white male protagonists, but it certainly is toeing the line.

2 hours ago, Darya said:

I wouldn't go so far as to say it's racism against whites because the whole point isn't that one race is superior to another, it's that the journalist believes that there's too many white male protagonists, but it certainly is toeing the line.

Racism =/= SUpremacy. The standard definition of racism is any form of prejudice based upon race. Sure, the reasoning is because "one race is superior", but people (NOT JUST JOURNALISTS I MIGHT ADD) are complaining about the protagonist of this game due to his race and gender.

Fair point. Upon re-watching the video it does strike me as quite a bit more discriminatory than I originally registered. Note to self not to watch these things at midnight. However, I do think that the people complaining can be given at least a little credit- not for their behavior, but for the fact there is a lack of representation of other genders and races in many video games, films, etc. That being said it does not excuse their behavior and entertainment is getting much better at being more inclusive.

5 hours ago, Darya said:

Fair point. Upon re-watching the video it does strike me as quite a bit more discriminatory than I originally registered. Note to self not to watch these things at midnight. However, I do think that the people complaining can be given at least a little credit- not for their behavior, but for the fact there is a lack of representation of other genders and races in many video games, films, etc. That being said it does not excuse their behavior and entertainment is getting much better at being more inclusive.

I mean, i would've complained if it was the 90s but nowadays people are being inclusive to a fault (as in, I hate the fact that people get offended for me when I take it and even fifght back)

Just to add, I haven't heard any of these gaming journalists calling out EA for doing something that was an industry standard up until recently and calling it revolutionary. Instead, they are calling out EA based on the character's race and gender...

2 hours ago, killamch89 said:

Just to add, I haven't heard any of these gaming journalists calling out EA for doing something that was an industry standard up until recently and calling it revolutionary. Instead, they are calling out EA based on the character's race and gender...

Yeah, why do you think I am saying they are being racist? XD