Register Now
UleTheVee

People are Being Ironically Racist

1 minute ago, UleTheVee said:

Yeah, why do you think I am saying they are being racist? XD

I was agreeing with your point that there are other things to call out EA on than the protagonist's race and gender. Racism has always been a systematic issue that most societies try to sweep under the rug but it always comes to the surface at some point. Rather than dealing with it and stamping it out as they should, they instead encourage it.

The issue for me really isn’t a white male protagonist, it is the ‘generic boring white male protagonist.’ Or the ‘young Clint Eastwood type.’ It has really run its course and people are just tired of it. The protagonist in Metal Gear Solid or AC Valhalla simply utilizes the white male the right way. It isn’t a forced cliche type of a societal white male dominant 50’s era perfect well rounded boy that everyone loves. In MGS and AC Valhalla, they have character. Not some whitewash facade forced down our throats. It is highly repetitive and I am not alone being completely irritated by the facade of the perfect white male while other people types are always the villain, monster, side kick, or fodder. I wholeheartedly agree that its shit seeing the same thing over and over again. They have the right to do what they want and we have the right to backlash. We are tired of it. And it is not just a gander to a specific crowd why they want a ‘young Clint Eastwood type.’ In cultural psychology, it is known as another attempt to heroize one type and demonize another. And this has gone on for too long consciously and subconsciously in entertainment.

22 hours ago, Reality vs Adventure said:

The issue for me really isn’t a white male protagonist, it is the ‘generic boring white male protagonist.’ Or the ‘young Clint Eastwood type.’ It has really run its course and people are just tired of it. The protagonist in Metal Gear Solid or AC Valhalla simply utilizes the white male the right way. It isn’t a forced cliche type of a societal white male dominant 50’s era perfect well rounded boy that everyone loves. In MGS and AC Valhalla, they have character. Not some whitewash facade forced down our throats. It is highly repetitive and I am not alone being completely irritated by the facade of the perfect white male while other people types are always the villain, monster, side kick, or fodder. I wholeheartedly agree that its shit seeing the same thing over and over again. They have the right to do what they want and we have the right to backlash. We are tired of it. And it is not just a gander to a specific crowd why they want a ‘young Clint Eastwood type.’ In cultural psychology, it is known as another attempt to heroize one type and demonize another. And this has gone on for too long consciously and subconsciously in entertainment.

Jedi Fallen order simply has a generic protagonist, it has nothing to do with being white or male, it's just an uninteresting, badly written character. As soon as you tack on the words white and male, you are expressing racism / sexism.

AC Valhalla is not relevant, because you have the option to choose a female protagonist.

Whitewashed? How can an original character be whitewashing? Jedi Fallen order would not be a better game whatever the skin pigmentation of its hero.

And stop with the "We" you don't speak for anyone else but yourself. It saddens me that you choose to judge characters by their group identity.

You obviously didn't play the game, just spew ideologist talking points, because had you played it you'd know that the "obi-wan" type character in the game is a black female, so if they were trying to demonize the group that shall not be named they were doing a lousy job.

13 hours ago, m76 said:

Jedi Fallen order simply has a generic protagonist, it has nothing to do with being white or male, it's just an uninteresting, badly written character. As soon as you tack on the words white and male, you are expressing racism / sexism.

AC Valhalla is not relevant, because you have the option to choose a female protagonist.

Whitewashed? How can an original character be whitewashing? Jedi Fallen order would not be a better game whatever the skin pigmentation of its hero.

And stop with the "We" you don't speak for anyone else but yourself. It saddens me that you choose to judge characters by their group identity.

You obviously didn't play the game, just spew ideologist talking points, because had you played it you'd know that the "obi-wan" type character in the game is a black female, so if they were trying to demonize the group that shall not be named they were doing a lousy job.

There's a lot there that, frankly, made no sense at all. I'm not gonna lie, I was very tempted to just not say anything as I can't be bothered getting into another debate with you over prejudice. Your moral stance on the issue is obviously built on either prejudice itself or complete ignorance of it. Either way, your too stubborn and dug in to accept your own flawed outlook on the problem, so I won't be replying to anything you say as it's clearly a waste of effort on my part. Still, here's what was wrong with your statement.

First, you accuse @Reality vs Adventureof not playing Jedi: Fallen Order based upon a reference that problem with the protagonist in that game is that he's a white male. The problem with that is that he made no such specific reference, so whare the hell did that come from? I know this topic was started in reference to something about that game, but to me is about discussion of the in general, and that's exactly how he was approaching it. You claim you're not prejudice I'm sure, but the are we supposed to believe that when you prejudge like that?

Yes, you can choose to play a female protagonist in AC Valhalla, but what @Reality vs Adventure was referring to was how that character is an exception to his picture of the cliché white male that appears all to often in games. He would say the same thing is a femal protagonist wasn't an option in that game (I'm sure), so his point is totally relevant. Besides, he was offering an example to the point "Just because the character's a white male, doesn't mean it's a sexists or racist overtone", a point I'm sure you would endorse, so why are you trying to discredit the statement in the first place? That's not debate, that's just slamming his point for the sake of slamming his point.

I'm not sure you fully understand what whitewashing us, but suffice to say it's totally possible to whitewash a new character. I haven't played Fallen Order myself so I can't say, but based on what I've seen I'd say that calling the protagonist in that game a whitewash is an overstatement, but I said I'm not gonna claim to know.

And lastly, when he said "we" you damb well he wasn't talking about you specially, or even VGR. Once again, you're splitting hairs and digging for a undertone in the statement that just isn't there. Please stop it