Register Now
Darya

Skill development from video games

Video games seem to get a reputation for being damaging to social skills and not helping children with anything- do you agree with this assessment? Why or why not? Have any of your skills been improved because of video games?

1 hour ago, Darya said:

Video games seem to get a reputation for being damaging to social skills and not helping children with anything- do you agree with this assessment? Why or why not? Have any of your skills been improved because of video games?

I don't agree.

Thanks to video games I have made some incredile worthwhile relationships on and offline. Not only that, but I also believe that being involved in eSports has increased my motor skills as well as my reflexes.

3 hours ago, UleTheVee said:

I don't agree.

Thanks to video games I have made some incredile worthwhile relationships on and offline. Not only that, but I also believe that being involved in eSports has increased my motor skills as well as my reflexes.

I can't say my motor skills have improved and my reflexes are still just as bad, unfortunately, but I do agree- through video games I've made long-lasting friendships I wouldn't have made if I didn't play the game.

4 hours ago, Darya said:

I can't say my motor skills have improved and my reflexes are still just as bad, unfortunately, but I do agree- through video games I've made long-lasting friendships I wouldn't have made if I didn't play the game.

The problem is that you need to be in a competitive environment to see these changes happen. Especially considering how those abilities are often put to the test because of it.

3 hours ago, UleTheVee said:

The problem is that you need to be in a competitive environment to see these changes happen. Especially considering how those abilities are often put to the test because of it.

That's a good point, and given I'm not a very competitive person in terms of gaming, any changes I may have gone through have not come to light yet.

6 minutes ago, kingpotato said:

I learned how to empty my wallet by purchasing lots of games😂

Well that's a given as a gamer 🤣

I don't agree with this statement. I've made some incredible valuable relationships online as well as offline thanks to video games.Not only that, but I also believe that my motor skills as well have improved as a result of gaming. 

Don't believe everything you read on the internet. 

Edited by xXInfectedXx

I think a lot of things are not how they seem to be I mean let's face this. Online relationship don't last long. Game hype fades away. Impatience among gamers is psychology journaled over the years. And lot of issues with games pop up every now and then. Skill development is rare among gamers because internet has too much information thrown at you. 

12 minutes ago, Bravosi said:

ive learned many historic facts and knowledge about weapons

LOL. Not exactly facts we can say because those are virtual replicas and not something real about it. So it's merely just fake stuff. 

Some stuff I’ve learned from video games:

-Playing MUDs made me a very fast typist, which has been an essential job skill for me.

-Political aspects of MUDs also gave me some crucial people skills which I was lacking before, and which are useful in business and everyday life.

-Both short and long term relationships with people I met gaming have had transformative effects on my life.

-Playing Dragon Age has helped me become a more expedient and confident decision-maker, especially in the face of peer pressure.

-I’ve learned things about history, physics, metaphysics and philosophy from playing games.

-Playing Myst when I was a kid was part of what made me decide to get serious about creative writing.

-My particular neurology doesn’t allow me to meditate or practice “mindfulness” effectively, but I can achieve a flow state through gaming which provides similar benefits.