Register Now
Darya

Skill development from video games

On 4/23/2019 at 10:59 AM, The Blackangel said:

Gaming gave me an escape from an abusive home. I was able to become someone else, somewhere else. So there's a chance gaming helped keep my mental state somewhat together, and saved my life.

I can relate to this. When I was a teen, there was a strict ban on RPGs in our house, but I realized I could play MUDs through telnet and no one would likely figure it out. I had a whole other life in an online game, and it too was essential to holding me together.

On 6/2/2019 at 7:43 AM, skyfire said:

I wonder if people learn patience from the gaming. Most of the psychologists say people tend to get more desperate as time goes on with the gaming. So I guess patience is out of question. 

I'd say that "more desperate" thing usually does apply with me, but there are exceptions! I have definitely learned more patience from The Last Of Us. That game really rewards you for stopping and observing and planning before you go try and deal with your enemies. Once I got the hang of it, I adjusted my mindset and it didn't bother me (in fact, it's kind of cool). Doesn't mean it translates to other games though, lol.

I have had my share of the anxiety and the other escapism. I tend to get panic attacks. I have social issues too. But I think that's because of my addiction to the gaming and the internet. And this was meant to happen as well. 

I strongly disagree because gaming especially online allows you to socialize a lot more without being judged or subjected to social prejudice. The issue is when gaming is your main avenue of social interaction, then you may have issues interacting with people face-to-face.

But virtual socializing doesn't count. It does not reduces your anxiety. And it does not give you physical feeling of communication and conversation. So that won't be something we can see towards real life socializing.