Register Now
DylanC

Sony clamps down on sexual content in PS4 games

On one hand, I think it's fantastic that they're cutting down on sexual content. There's quite a lot of content nowadays in entertainment that displays women as objects, so it's nice to see a company acknowledging this and putting restrictions on it. On the other, I do see how it could effect Sony's desirability, but I almost feel like that makes their action all the better. Sony is most likely perfectly aware of the negative impacts and yet they're putting this in place nonetheless.

I can sympathize with the concern women may have as being seen as objects, but to use the excuse about censoring sexuality to protect children is hypocritical. That basically says that skin is bad and killing is just fine. If you add more clothing, then you must subtract the violence. There are ratings in games for a reason and it is up to the parent to teach their children and decide what is appropriate for their own. Otherwise, what is the point of ratings. If you want to make a kid's game and show skin, then accept the fact that the game will get an adult rating. In return, the stores and the parents are responsible who buys adult rated games. They do that at the movie theatre. What the hell is the difference. 

On 5/22/2021 at 12:51 PM, Reality vs Adventure said:

I can sympathize with the concern women may have as being seen as objects, but to use the excuse about censoring sexuality to protect children is hypocritical. That basically says that skin is bad and killing is just fine. If you add more clothing, then you must subtract the violence. There are ratings in games for a reason and it is up to the parent to teach their children and decide what is appropriate for their own. Otherwise, what is the point of ratings. If you want to make a kid's game and show skin, then accept the fact that the game will get an adult rating. In return, the stores and the parents are responsible who buys adult rated games. They do that at the movie theatre. What the hell is the difference. 

My sentiments exactly - how is this going to make any difference? They'll encounter sexual content somewhere else because it's literally promoted everywhere. I also agree about the ratings system and parents need to guide their children properly. The problem we're encountering nowadays is that some parents aren't mature enough to be parents themselves and they blame everyone and everything else for raise their kids incorrectly.