Register Now
DylanC

Are 4K blu rays worth it?

11 hours ago, kingpotato said:

I'm also tempted for a 4K tv but 4k blue ray I'm not sure if its worth it, I already have tons of dvds and a few blue rays but I dont want to invest on 4k blue ray discs.

4K blu rays are very expensive so I’m hoping the jump in quality is noticeable. The jump from standard definition to 1080p was huge imho. The sound quality is also better with blu rays.

I have one. They're nice and all, but they fight you when trying to play a 4K disc. The technology has a lot of bugs that need to be worked out. It's fine for Blu-ray and DVD, but you're most likely going to be returning it and exchanging it several times before you give up and settle , like I did. Occasionally you can get the 4K to work, but it's a lot of fighting. It's like a monkey fucking a football.

17 hours ago, The Blackangel said:

I have one. They're nice and all, but they fight you when trying to play a 4K disc. The technology has a lot of bugs that need to be worked out. It's fine for Blu-ray and DVD, but you're most likely going to be returning it and exchanging it several times before you give up and settle , like I did. Occasionally you can get the 4K to work, but it's a lot of fighting. It's like a monkey fucking a football.

That doesn’t sound too good 😬 I think if I did get one, it’d be a cheap Xbox One S - possibly factory refurbished or something like that to save some cash. Still, not got a 4K TV yet, so just waiting for the right deal to come along. 

9 hours ago, J_Viper said:

I'd say not really 

4K streaming isn't quite even with playing off a disc, but it's close enough, especially with the right setup 

Good point. Interestingly, I read somewhere that the majority of movies are mastered in 2K anyway, so it’s hard to see as discernible upgrade as, say, jumping from standard to 1080p. Still, streaming 4K is definitely another viable option.