Register Now
UleTheVee

Ule's View - What if Anthem Died?

Oh no, I don't mean the way it's dying right now with lost interest and their own fans cannibalizing each other. More so in the way that has been historically recorded as one of the most memorable 180º turns in gaming history with a game that nowardays is still popular in terms of its reception. For those who don't know what I am talking about, I'm talking about Final Fantasy XIV.

I'm pretty sure you've heard the story already. At launch, Final Fantasy XIV was considered one of the worst entries in the series. Not only that, but as an MMORPG it was extremely lacking. Issues like poor performance, shoddy lighting effects, the fact that the gameplay was way too similiar to FFXI for anyone to care, and finally, the overall lack of transparency between the development team to begin with.

So, what did the development team of Final Fantasy XIV do in order to bring back interest to their game? They literally nuked the entire thing and relaunched the game from scratch. Now known as Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn, the game got a new development team led by Naoki Yoshida. The team immediately revamped the mechanics that were brought in by the 2010 game. Not only that, but they also shifted developement from the Crystal Tools engine (The Final Fantasy XIII/XIII-2/Lightning Returns engine) to an entirely new proprietary engine.

This relaunch of FInal Fantasy XIV received massive positive reception because of the new and revamped mechanics and progression. Of course, the new development team and Yoshida have to be credited for the massive turnaround that shook the entire industry for their expectations of what a "Dead Game" was. Such was the drive for the development team to improve over their failures that they included the destructuion of the original Final Fantasy XIV as part of A Realm Reborn's story.

Currently, Final Fantasy XIV maintains a steady flow of players coming to play the game. A grand total of 13,000 players (On Steam ALONE) continue to consistently play the game with a peak of 25,000. 5 years after the initial release of the game, I'd say that's a pretty good player base to hold out after all of these years. Of course, that's a lot more players than Anthem could hope to have right now.

This is going to hurt to @Alyxx but Anthem is FAR from being a good game. The development of the game has been made over hyping up the game's release and not much has been done. The current expose written by Jason Schreier brought various issues in terms of the awful development cycle of the game to light. Not only that, but the overall treatment of the playerbase is worse than anything, with the development team not fulfilling any of their promises about the current roadmap of the game.

I could definitely go on for days about how Anthem is far from being a game that deserves any praise whatsoever. However, this article is written to present the following proposal that I think would make people interested:

What if Anthem Was Nuked the Same Way Final Fantasy XIV was?

It certainly would be a very interesting way to turn around the development of the game itself. It would certainly put more importance to the Anthem of creation in terms of the in-game story. Not only that, but it also gives whichever creative team is capable enough to make this shift enough space to bring new mechanics for Javelins and gameplay in general. Heck, if I were to lead this development. I would also integrate the destruction of the original game into the new game's story.

I can certainly think of this idea while I'm writing this: Why not have the Anthem of Creation being caught by the bad guys of the game known as The Dominion. With their control over the Anthem of Creation, the artifact starts going awry and the chaos produces an extremely massive explosition that destroys EVERYTHING . However, some of our friends at Fort Tarsis survive and are starting to rebuild in this completely new world.

Okay, I'll admit that I didn't think of this plot too much but still. It certainly would breathe new life into the game and would also make people interested yet again. So, what do you guys think?

I actually am interested in hearing the thoughts of people like @Executor Akamia, @killamch89, and @Darya about this hypothetical destruction of Anthem. Of course, everyone else in this forum is welcome to join me in the speculation about whether or not an Anthem "Rebirth" would be a good idea.

I haven't played it in a while so I'm not entirely up to date on them keeping their promise on the new content. If they're not then that will certainly change my opinion on the game. I still think the core gameplay is fun and it is a nice timesink but if there's a lack of content coming out for it, and even worse if it's behind a paywall, then I will certainly agree that's a detriment to it.

2 minutes ago, Alyxx said:

I haven't played it in a while so I'm not entirely up to date on them keeping their promise on the new content. If they're not then that will certainly change my opinion on the game. I still think the core gameplay is fun and it is a nice timesink but if there's a lack of content coming out for it, and even worse if it's behind a paywall, then I will certainly agree that's a detriment to it.

It is true actually, if you look at the last post I made about the issue, you'd notice that they aren't complying with their roadmap.. They actually DELAYED the latest stronghold.

I would like to know what you think about nuking Anthem and letting it die before rebirthing it

Edited by UleTheVee

Just now, UleTheVee said:

It is true actually, if you look at the last post I made about the issue, you'd notice that they aren't complying with their roadmap.. They actually DELAYED the latest stronghold.

I would like to know what you think about nuking Anthem and letting it die before rebirthing it

I'd be all for it if it would mean getting an even better game. Cause I really love Anthem and I'd like nothing more than for it to be a success and have more people playing it.

The problems with Anthem started from the Debut E3 trailer in 2017 - The trailer that EA claimed it was "live gameplay"  was entirely made up. EA tasked their Bioware developers with matching the trailer's gameplay - The problem with that is they tried to recreate everything on the crapbite engine instead of the Unreal Engine (which the developers had actual expertise in using) which is when the Bioware devs discovered the difficulty of the project. Instead of restarting everything from scratch and rebuilding with the Unreal Engine and delaying Anthem, the EA execs decided to release the broken mess of a game and try to fix the issues with the game after release because money is the only thing that matters to them.

All EA has continued to do is pack lies on top of the other lies they already sold their consumers because none of the Bioware devs know how to use Frostbite so what could they possibly fix? Not a lot really and EA will continue to sell the gullible gamers amongst us the same lies because they're trying to extract every last dollar from them. Anthem will be around for the next 6 months - 1 year at least because they have started to hire new members to work on Anthem so it's not going die off as early as people think.

I'm not all that familiar with Anthem, but I think I've gathered enough from what you've said and a little side research. I think that if Anthem is really as bad as you (and others) make it out to be and yet it still has a playerbase that can sustain it, if destroyed and revived by a fantastic team, it could theoretically have the success of Final Fantasy XIV, but I feel the timing of re-release and advertisement would be just as much driving factors as plot and content. All things considered however, there's nothing to say it couldn't be successful.

14 minutes ago, killamch89 said:

The problems with Anthem started from the Debut E3 trailer in 2017 - The trailer that EA claimed it was "live gameplay"  was entirely made up. EA tasked their Bioware developers with matching the trailer's gameplay - The problem with that is they tried to recreate everything on the crapbite engine instead of the Unreal Engine (which the developers had actual expertise in using) which is when the Bioware devs discovered the difficulty of the project. Instead of restarting everything from scratch and rebuilding with the Unreal Engine and delaying Anthem, the EA execs decided to release the broken mess of a game and try to fix the issues with the game after release because money is the only thing that matters to them.

All EA has continued to do is pack lies on top of the other lies they already sold their consumers because none of the Bioware devs know how to use Frostbite so what could they possibly fix? Not a lot really and EA will continue to sell the gullible gamers amongst us the same lies because they're trying to extract every last dollar from them. Anthem will be around for the next 6 months - 1 year at least because they have started to hire new members to work on Anthem so it's not going die off as early as people think.

This is why I proposed to have Anthem killed off entirely and repurposed once more. DO what FFXIV did and use the Unreal Engine rather than the Frostbite engine.

Just now, UleTheVee said:

This is why I proposed to have Anthem killed off entirely and repurposed once more. DO what FFXIV did and use the Unreal Engine rather than the Frostbite engine.

EA aren't that intelligent and are greedy so they'd rather stick to squeezing every last dollar out of this.

2 minutes ago, killamch89 said:

EA aren't that intelligent and are greedy so they'd rather stick to squeezing every last dollar out of this.

Even more reason to do the destruction I mentioned. Would produce them a lot more money.

Yeah Anthem is dead in the water right now. The best move would be to hunker down like Hello Games did with No Man's Sky, and attempt a relaunch in about a year's time

There will certainly never be an Anthem 2 though.