Register Now
StaceyPowers

How certain is it that PS5 won't be backwards compatible beyond PS4?

I’ve seen the news that PS5 will be compatible with PS4. I haven’t actually seen anything that definitively states that it won’t be compatible with older model games. But it seems like there’d be no point in announcing the PS4 thing without announcing all backwards compatibility, so I am guessing this means that we’re out of luck regarding PS3, PS2 and PS1.

What do you think?

I doubt it will be backwards compatible at all. The PS4 isn't and they had a hell of a time with the PS3. The early releases of the PS3 were full backwards compatible, but PS2 games caused it to overheat, and often burn out the CPU. So they were forced to rerelease it with only PS1 compatibility. They forsook the reverse play on the PS4, so I fully see them doing the same with the PS5.

On 4/20/2019 at 10:02 PM, The Blackangel said:

I doubt it will be backwards compatible at all. The PS4 isn't and they had a hell of a time with the PS3. The early releases of the PS3 were full backwards compatible, but PS2 games caused it to overheat, and often burn out the CPU. So they were forced to rerelease it with only PS1 compatibility. They forsook the reverse play on the PS4, so I fully see them doing the same with the PS5.

No, The Sony developers confirmed the PS5 would be backward compatible with earlier generation PS titles, especially for PS3 and PS4. I'm not sure about the PS2 or earlier though.

Rumors and recent news seem to point towards the possibility of backwards compatibility. Nobody will know until they release the PS5 and confirm the details.  

I guess time shall tell and we'll find a yay or nay soon. 

Edited by xXInfectedXx

3 hours ago, xXInfectedXx said:

Rumors and recent news seem to point towards the possibility of backwards compatibility. Nobody will know until they release the PS5 and confirm the details.  

I guess time shall tell and we'll find a yay or nay soon. 

Pretty sure Mark Cerny - the system architect for PS Vita, PS4 and the forthcoming PS5 - has confirmed that backwards compatibility for PS4 games is guaranteed in a recent interview with Wired.

21 hours ago, DylanC said:

Pretty sure Mark Cerny - the system architect for PS Vita, PS4 and the forthcoming PS5 - has confirmed that backwards compatibility for PS4 games is guaranteed in a recent interview with Wired.

That's what I saw. I'm just wondering if that means we can count out backwards compatibility with PS3, PS2, PS1.

Edited by StaceyPowers

6 hours ago, StaceyPowers said:

That's what I saw. I'm just wondering if that means we can count out backwards compatibility with PS3, PS2, PS1.

I think he did mention PS3 as well but PS2 and PS1compatibility is really pushing it. Most backwards compatibility consoles generally support the previous one or two generations.

15 hours ago, killamch89 said:

I think he did mention PS3 as well but PS2 and PS1compatibility is really pushing it. Most backwards compatibility consoles generally support the previous one or two generations.

I didn't see that in the Wired article :/

37 minutes ago, StaceyPowers said:

I didn't see that in the Wired article 😕

I got my info from somewhere else but Sony had filed a patent that basically allows the PS5 to emulate games from previous generations. So your wish for PS1 and PS2 compatibility may not be a dream after all.

https://www.gamesradar.com/yet-another-sony-patent-seems-to-promise-ps5-backwards-compatibility/

Edited by killamch89

21 hours ago, killamch89 said:

I got my info from somewhere else but Sony had filed a patent that basically allows the PS5 to emulate games from previous generations. So your wish for PS1 and PS2 compatibility may not be a dream after all.

https://www.gamesradar.com/yet-another-sony-patent-seems-to-promise-ps5-backwards-compatibility/

Yeah, I saw that too. It'll just make me angrier if it isn't compatible with anything but PS4 :/

1 hour ago, StaceyPowers said:

Yeah, I saw that too. It'll just make me angrier if it isn't compatible with anything but PS4 😕

I think they'll squeeze in the PS3 too but then again, I'm not a representative of Sony so there's no telling what they will do.

On 4/25/2019 at 11:33 AM, killamch89 said:

I think they'll squeeze in the PS3 too but then again, I'm not a representative of Sony so there's no telling what they will do.

I hope so. I just don't see why they wouldn't have announced it along with the PS4 compatibility.

2 hours ago, StaceyPowers said:

I hope so. I just don't see why they wouldn't have announced it along with the PS4 compatibility.

Maybe they want to save it as a surprise? But then again, you can't really hide anything from the media nowadays though.