Register Now
StaceyPowers

Why has Fortnite held strong for so long?

I have kind of a fascination with Fortnite. Most recently I saw that Apex Legends has been losing steam on Twitch, but Fortnite views are holding steady.

My theory about Fortnite enduring is that it ultimately has less to do with the specifics of the game, and more to do with the particular way in which Epic approaches community relations. I think that their commitment to keeping the game continuously fresh and evolving stands in sharp contrast to a lot of poorly-supported multiplayer games today. They seem to work hard to gather community feedback and respond to it. The game's odd sense of humor probably has some role to play in its continued success as well.

What are your thoughts?

As a former Fortnite player (I don't really play it anymore), it is a multitude of factors. One thing about Fortnite is that almost anyone can play it with little to no practice at all and so it is extremely casual-gamer friendly. It's not a game that takes up a lot of your time as most match sessions last 30 mins maximum so most people can find time to play it. The game is constantly updated with very entertaining content and is maintained well by the Epic Games Devs and on top of that, the Devs do take customer feedback quite seriously. They do have micro-transactions in-game but it is completely by choice and almost anything can be earned in-game to buy season passes so you'll never have to spend a dime. 

The one thing about Fortnite that stood out to me at first was that the game doesn't take itself too seriously unlike PUBG and others in the Battle Royale genre.

I think a lot of that depends on how they are adding the seasonal characters in the game. And that seems to be good for the users. I mean adding characters from some movies like joker and harley quin etc. Those additions definitely help out with the some new excitement sort of approach. 

I think Fortnite has the accessibility thing going for it these days - it's available on all platforms today, from consoles to phones, to Macs and PCs. Another reason, being this game has a lot of social media coverage, with lots of entertainers making videos of this game as well and posting them.

Edited by Folk Artist

11 hours ago, skyfire said:

Currently fortnite and the PUBG are the one knocking the place in some countries trying to be number one. But the format of battle royale seems to be good enough in it's own way though, nothing strong number 1 etc. 

I thought Fortnite has 50 mil and PUBG 30 mil, no?

On 4/24/2019 at 12:19 PM, killamch89 said:

he one thing about Fortnite that stood out to me at first was that the game doesn't take itself too seriously unlike PUBG and others in the Battle Royale genre.

I do think that goes a long ways. It's refreshing, and the game's weird sense of humour allows it to express itself through striking visuals and also lets the devs play around with some surreal events and features each season.

1 hour ago, StaceyPowers said:

I do think that goes a long ways. It's refreshing, and the game's weird sense of humour allows it to express itself through striking visuals and also lets the devs play around with some surreal events and features each season.

I agree, the content is very unique and wacky but it fits the game's tone perfectly.

On 4/26/2019 at 1:08 PM, Bravosi said:

I thought Fortnite has 50 mil and PUBG 30 mil, no?

In terms of the demand for the tournaments? I don't think so. PUBG is getting more popular each week and there are more players who are into this type of the gaming. Fortnite is hardly rocking the google play store. 

On 4/24/2019 at 8:28 PM, Folk Artist said:

I think Fortnite has the accessibility thing going for it these days - it's available on all platforms today, from consoles to phones, to Macs and PCs. Another reason, being this game has a lot of social media coverage, with lots of entertainers making videos of this game as well and posting them.

Well said about accessibility. I played a couple of matches on PC but nowadays I can afford only play on a smartphone.

Needless to say that Fortnite why addictive, but it has a nice looking style and combines building aspect with tense gameplay with an infinite number of outcomes. You can blame me for this, but Fortnite could be considered as modern chess, real-time battle royale chess.

I am sure unless any other company has it's own take on the battle royale like apex legends or so. There is going to be difficult competition with the fortnite and the PUBG in times to come for sure. 

1 hour ago, skyfire said:

I am sure unless any other company has it's own take on the battle royale like apex legends or so. There is going to be difficult competition with the fortnite and the PUBG in times to come for sure. 

I think Fortnite has a really unique "personality", and it's going to be hard to compete with it in that respect.