Register Now
StaceyPowers

Is video game addiction actually a form of addiction?

There is so much buzz these days around the topic of “video game addiction,” with parents dragging their kids to psychologists for treatment and everything.

Do you think video game addiction is really a type of “addiction?” Or do you think that is an exaggeration (or just not accurate)?

I found this article insightful: https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog/media-spotlight/201707/does-video-game-addiction-really-exist

I think I’d rather call it “problem gaming,” since I tend to view “addiction” in specific physiological terms. Where to draw the line is hard to say, and I think it varies depending on the person. But I would say if gaming gets to the point of uncontrollably disrupting grades, relationships, day job, etc, that is “problem gaming.”

I do agree with the author that this type of behaviour probably can be placed in context of other psychological issues which underlie it (i.e. anxiety, depression, or even just other life problems).

What are your thoughts?

Genuine video game addiction does exist but in most cases, what is referred to as video game addiction especially in kids nowadays is due to poor parenting. A parent is supposed to be able to set boundaries regarding a child's gaming time and ensure that the child adheres to it. Some millennial parents hardly spend time with their kids at all and so the kids turn to video games as a way of dealing with that. A mistake I see most parents make nowadays is buying their kids anything to shut them up and not have to actively spend time with them which is harmful to their development in the long-term.

Then these same parents now have to find thousands of dollars to correct the issue which should not have existed in the first place and try to blame video games for it. When you see such an issue in adults is usually a coping mechanism to deal with daily issues such as stress, low self-esteem and also a snowballing effect of the issue with kids I earlier mentioned. The list of people with genuine video game addiction, in my opinion, is like 0.5% where the individual suffers from some kind of mental issue and is unable to truly help their situations. In conclusion, most of what is referred to as video game "addiction" is actually a toxic habit that developed over time and the individual lacks the awareness and in some cases the willpower to fix their situation.

It all depends on the intensity and the proportion that the addiction ends up having. I mean, the more uncontrolled the worse the addiction it will be (no matter how good or fun it is). Then, "basically"... Yes, it's an addiction and that if in the most extreme cases it's not taken care, it can bring serious complications for any ages.

There is a problem with some people who have developmental issues being addicted to gaming. But they are typically the ones that play virtually 100% of the time they're awake, they hate sleeping because it takes away game time, and they can't distinguish real life from the game world. That's addiction. There are people who game way too much, but I wouldn't call it addiction. I'm willing to bet that there's a few people here that are like that. I'll admit that I game too much. But being in a wheelchair doesn't leave me many options to keep myself entertained. And I have a psychological problem where if I don't have something to keep my hands busy I'll start having panic attacks. That's why I have a small TV next to my computer that I game on while I'm online. I'm also a YouTube addict. So I have to have some form to game.

53 minutes ago, The Blackangel said:

There is a problem with some people who have developmental issues being addicted to gaming. But they are typically the ones that play virtually 100% of the time they're awake, they hate sleeping because it takes away game time, and they can't distinguish real life from the game world. That's addiction. There are people who game way too much, but I wouldn't call it addiction. I'm willing to bet that there's a few people here that are like that. I'll admit that I game too much. But being in a wheelchair doesn't leave me many options to keep myself entertained. And I have a psychological problem where if I don't have something to keep my hands busy I'll start having panic attacks. That's why I have a small TV next to my computer that I game on while I'm online. I'm also a YouTube addict. So I have to have some form to game.

How do you deal with your panic attacks? Do you have any breathing exercises or anything like that to calm you down or is it some form of medication that helps you to calm down?

I think it's definitely an addiction and has managed to affect many kids and adults. It has damaged many people and their personal and the social lives are more or less in trouble. So one has to understand how that work around and take help from shrink as well. 

I think the issue of gaming addiction is real, but it should never be looked into on its own. A truly happy (or just normal), ambitious child or adult would never get dependant to the games to an extent of addiction. There's a difference between gamer who finds time to fulfill their responsibilities, maintain social bonds, personal hygiene etc, and a person who can't function normally in society due to the fact that he/she is a gamer. There can be a number of mental health issues involved which cause such kind of disturbing behaviour (could be anything from bad parenting and child trauma to a depression, social adaptation problems). Basically, gaming addiction is most likely a result of mental health issue(s). As the result, targeting games in this battle is counter-productive, and psychologist would be much more helpful. 

I think people take the video game addiction lightly in fact. If you try to play one video game a day or week or even every now and then hours. Then that addiction can cost you job, education and even the social and family life.