Register Now
UleTheVee

It also Turns Out that you DO OWN DIGITAL GAMES

11 hours ago, TheSteelyardDweller said:

can you make a physical disc copy from your hard drive tho? 

Depends on the game. Some games are locked behind Steam's DRM, some you can just flatout burn to a CD-R like a lot of older games for instance. I would say you still own a game even on a service like Steam though.

18 hours ago, TheSteelyardDweller said:

can you make a physical disc copy from your hard drive tho? 

Who even cares if you have a physical disc copy?!

Didn't you read the starting post of this thread? YOU OWN THE GAME EVEN IF YOU DONT INSTALL IT ON YOUR DRIVE.

Those nearly 300 games I have on my steam library are MINE even if I don't have a physical version of them

6 hours ago, UleTheVee said:

Who even cares if you have a physical disc copy?!

Didn't you read the starting post of this thread? YOU OWN THE GAME EVEN IF YOU DONT INSTALL IT ON YOUR DRIVE.

Those nearly 300 games I have on my steam library are MINE even if I don't have a physical version of them

I do. I want what I own to always be accessible to me, whether or not I have an internet connection.

6 hours ago, TheSteelyardDweller said:

I do. I want what I own to always be accessible to me, whether or not I have an internet connection.

Even if you don't have an internet connection, you're allowed to keep those games. Those games belong to your account and are yours to own (this is why you introduce your name in credit card information or paypal). Not only that, but things like Steam's OFFLINE MODE (caps because that's how it's spelled in steam, no yelling lol) can actually keep activating the Steam DRM so you can play your games even while you're offline.

So yeah, there's almost no excuse here. You own your game when buying it digitally.

On 4/28/2019 at 8:31 PM, UleTheVee said:

Even if you don't have an internet connection, you're allowed to keep those games. Those games belong to your account and are yours to own (this is why you introduce your name in credit card information or paypal). Not only that, but things like Steam's OFFLINE MODE (caps because that's how it's spelled in steam, no yelling lol) can actually keep activating the Steam DRM so you can play your games even while you're offline.

So yeah, there's almost no excuse here. You own your game when buying it digitally.

unless i cant redownload it when i need to. but i didn't know that steam has an OFFLINE MODE. that's cool.

16 hours ago, TheSteelyardDweller said:

unless i cant redownload it when i need to. but i didn't know that steam has an OFFLINE MODE. that's cool.

Yeah. There was a time.whrre I only was able to play Steam games offline. So yeah, I can tell you that it works.

Meanwhile, for a time, the Epic Games Store didn't have it.

On 5/9/2019 at 6:11 AM, UleTheVee said:

Yeah. There was a time.whrre I only was able to play Steam games offline. So yeah, I can tell you that it works.

Meanwhile, for a time, the Epic Games Store didn't have it.

Good to know. still would bug me though if i needed to download a game and couldn't. and i still am confused what happens if a company goes out of business. let's say Steam tanks tomorrow. what happens to my digitally-owned games?

1 hour ago, TheSteelyardDweller said:

Good to know. still would bug me though if i needed to download a game and couldn't. and i still am confused what happens if a company goes out of business. let's say Steam tanks tomorrow. what happens to my digitally-owned games?

You're still going to be allowed to download them (They are stored separately from what I gather)

4 hours ago, UleTheVee said:

You're still going to be allowed to download them (They are stored separately from what I gather)

They'll allow you some kind of DRM access should Steam go out of business - I vaguely remembered somebody from Steam had stated something along those lines.

7 hours ago, killamch89 said:

They'll allow you some kind of DRM access should Steam go out of business - I vaguely remembered somebody from Steam had stated something along those lines.

In other words, you still own those digital goods.