Register Now
StaceyPowers

"Games as movies"

Not sure if Bioshock would ever make a movie. But basic premise of the cult that stays in the underwater and builds things and the lifestyle of it's own with few things gotten out of hand sounds like a good plot. 

22 hours ago, killamch89 said:

Bioshock and TLOU have way more freedom than the aforementioned games though - I love a brilliant story but it must be balanced with some amount of freedom and action.

I'd sum them up as that you cannot choose what the characters do, but you can choose how they go about accomplishing it. 

In any case, it would not have made much sense to allow player choice in Bioshock Infinite for multiple reasons. First of all, not having meaningful choices to make actually helped me empathize with the "we're stuck in this scenario and never get it to turn out right" problem. Secondly, the ending ... Booker and Elizabeth were in a sense trying to delete a choice from existence and make Comstock's nonexistence a fact. Player choice at that point would have contradicted their success.

5 hours ago, skyfire said:

Not sure if Bioshock would ever make a movie. But basic premise of the cult that stays in the underwater and builds things and the lifestyle of it's own with few things gotten out of hand sounds like a good plot. 

Bioshock Infinite wouldnt' work as a film--too much complexity to pack into a couple of hours. I'm not sure about 1 or 2 though. That might be doable. But I think I'd almost rather they told another story about Rapture if they made a movie. But mostly just because I always want more Bioshock stories.

3 hours ago, skyfire said:

Yes rapture has this interesting mystery feeling in it. And the whole setup looks like it is made for some 1% rich peoples cult. It's a good movie concept. 

Quite literally, it was. But even in Rapture, someone was going to wind up being a janitor--or jobless. Thus why Lamb and Fontaine were able to sweep in with their "solutions" for the poor. These games are arguably more relevant to real life than ever. 

11 hours ago, skyfire said:

Indeed. And the best part was the game was about worst case scenario. Which I think is more relatable in real life too. I think but the time when it was developed they didn't think of world after 2015. So it's pretty much good fantasy and is more relatable. 

Interesting the way you put that, "good fantasy." People talk about "good sci-fi" in much the same way, but I've rarely heard anyone mention fantasy in the same light. I suppose that this is why both of these genres are classified as "speculative fiction," however. Both look at "if" scenarios, and both can be very relevant to what ends up unfolding in the real world when they concern social issues.

I think some scifi games and movies do address those issues. Like those zombie virus as population control mechanism is one such reality connected issue based game genre of it's own type. I think pure fantasy based would be no man's sky. 

11 hours ago, skyfire said:

I think some scifi games and movies do address those issues. Like those zombie virus as population control mechanism is one such reality connected issue based game genre of it's own type. I think pure fantasy based would be no man's sky. 

Zombie-related stories almost always touch on social issues from what I've noticed. I mean, I haven't watched it, but I've heard that the title of "The Walking Dead" refers to the human population rather than the zombie population, and the sacrifice of aspects of one's humanity in order to survive. 

On 5/30/2019 at 10:19 AM, StaceyPowers said:

Bioshock Infinite wouldnt' work as a film--too much complexity to pack into a couple of hours. I'm not sure about 1 or 2 though. That might be doable. But I think I'd almost rather they told another story about Rapture if they made a movie. But mostly just because I always want more Bioshock stories.

I agree with that, a movie could be made about Bioshock 1 but it will have to be a totally different story or approach, the world of Rapture does allow multiple stories.

21 hours ago, StaceyPowers said:

Zombie-related stories almost always touch on social issues from what I've noticed. I mean, I haven't watched it, but I've heard that the title of "The Walking Dead" refers to the human population rather than the zombie population, and the sacrifice of aspects of one's humanity in order to survive. 

Walking dead has survival drama. As in they painted how come groupism would affect survival. How lack of communication or abundance of it would change survival. How egos and even adjusting attitude can go wrong. So yeah if games add those element it gets more realistic. 

15 hours ago, kingpotato said:

I agree with that, a movie could be made about Bioshock 1 but it will have to be a totally different story or approach, the world of Rapture does allow multiple stories.

A movie about Rapture might be a good opportunity to show the city before the fall, which is something I think a lot of players would be excited about.

I've heard the ol' "games as movies" thing bandied around as a pejorative, but to me, it's not much of a turn off. Personally, I feel like video games are such a wide canvas. Pac-man and Centipede are video games, as much as The Last Of Us and Heavy Rain. The thing is, video games have a much wider spectrum than many other forms of media, like books or movies, for example.

Long story short, I really dig narrative-focused games but some other folks may not. Whatever floats ya boat, right?

Edited by DylanC

11 hours ago, StaceyPowers said:

A movie about Rapture might be a good opportunity to show the city before the fall, which is something I think a lot of players would be excited about.

Yeah that will be nice, like a prequel to Bioshock 1, or if by any miracle a Bioshock game based on a prequel but sadly Irrational Games is long gone.