Register Now
StaceyPowers

Who do you admire in the gaming industry?

I admire a lot of grpahics artist who design the background and the open world in the games. They are the reason the game is worth playing and we tend to remember the games. I can't think of specific name though  because we don't have access to data who designed who etc. 

Personally, from a journalistic/writing point-of-view, I really admire Jim Sterling, Colin Moriarty and Greg Miller, in their own different ways. All three are great personalities and voices in the gaming industry (though I don't agree with everything they say, I'm still very interested in their differing perspectives). I used to read a lot of Destructoid growing up, so I've following Jim Sterling for a very long time - way before he became famous with The Jimquisition. Obviously, Greg and Colin led the PlayStation coverage for IGN back in the day, and have since disbanded to form their own ventures - Kinda Funny and Colin's Last Stand, respectively. All three are very talented writers and I enjoy listening to their podcasts, too.

It seems like working in a gaming studio would be a lot of fun, and it seems to be a very exciting career - but the downsides would be the crunch times and high lay off rates, that can be pretty high, so this industry can be quite challenging as well.

Edited by Folk Artist

Hideo Kojima - the creator of the Metal Gear Franchise has given us fans a quality series that has lasted 20+ years. I know that he left Konami (hence why the Metal Gear games suck nowadays) but I will gladly buy any game he is developing because I know it will be a quality experience.

I recently checked that gaming industry has one good thing. That if someone innovates they appreciate and don't trash talk it to promote their own thing. Stadia has takers and haters but there isnt much branded trash talk unlike other industries. 

19 hours ago, Justin11 said:

I don't admire much of the game developers, but those who are putting great work to make sure that their game stands the best for players. 

So, on that note, who or which one's specifically have you been able to pick out as the one's that are worth your admiration? 

Jim Sterling. I admire his conviction and how true to himself he is. He always gets people wanting him to "Just talk games" and stop going on about abuse in the industry, but he never relents and, whether you agree with him or not, that warrants respect in my book. I doesn't hurt that I actually do agree with him, though. People shouldn't be allowed to forget about what Ubisoft and Activison-Blizzard did when they think about buying the latest Assassin's Creed or Call of Duty.

1 hour ago, Heatman said:

So, on that note, who or which one's specifically have you been able to pick out as the one's that are worth your admiration? 

Ubisoft, Square Enix, SIE/Polyphony Digitals, and most notably Milestone SRL. This four are my best when it comes to making video games that tickles my interest.