Register Now
StaceyPowers

Who do you admire in the gaming industry?

1 hour ago, Shagger said:

I'm not going to question anyone's admiration for George R.R. Martin, if that's how you feel then that's how you feel and I'm not going to disrespect that viewpoint from anyone, gut I genuinely do not get where that is coming from. In his entire life, his resume in the game industry reads he co-wrote one game, and that is literally it. And that was a game that only just released in that last few months. Game of Thrones and the books it's based on have no connection to any video game at all. Honestly, that admiration could be placed at the feet of Andrzej Sapkowski (Author of The Witcher series) and it would as much sense, and that's a man who has publicly disrespected video games as medium. True, Gorge R.R. Martin hasn't done that, but he has himself admitted he has no personal relationship with video games and could count the amount he has played on one hand.

Sorry @Aniekwe and @Heatman, but it doesn't make sense to admire this man for his "contribution" to video games.

Noted, I never really heard much about George R.R Martin, but at least 'Tyler Blevins is well-known when it comes to video games. He plays video game as a career choice, with plenty of achievements around gaming. If I'm looking for a role model then, I have to go for him and not George R.R Martins. At this point, I just want to enjoy my game and not being inspired by any so-called celebrity before going for a particular game. Most of the celebrities are hired for promotional purposes, so they just hype the game which they're hired for without playing it. 

17 hours ago, Shagger said:

I'm not going to question anyone's admiration for George R.R. Martin, if that's how you feel then that's how you feel and I'm not going to disrespect that viewpoint from anyone, gut I genuinely do not get where that is coming from. In his entire life, his resume in the game industry reads he co-wrote one game, and that is literally it. And that was a game that only just released in that last few months. Game of Thrones and the books it's based on have no connection to any video game at all. Honestly, that admiration could be placed at the feet of Andrzej Sapkowski (Author of The WitcherAndrzej Sapkowski series) and it would as much sense, and that's a man who has publicly disrespected video games as medium. True, Gorge R.R. Martin hasn't done that, but he has himself admitted he has no personal relationship with video games and could count the amount he has played on one hand.

Sorry @Aniekwe and @Heatman, but it doesn't make sense to admire this man for his "contribution" to video games.

The man do appeal to me with what's he's done. I would say he's the humble type of person to write off what he's done so easily, but that's not for me. I have been impressed with what he's done so far. There is no doubt that Andrzej Sapkowski  should be recognised on this as well with what we had on The Witcher Series. I'm a big fan of The Witcher series as well. 

17 hours ago, Shagger said:

I'm not going to question anyone's admiration for George R.R. Martin, if that's how you feel then that's how you feel and I'm not going to disrespect that viewpoint from anyone, gut I genuinely do not get where that is coming from. In his entire life, his resume in the game industry reads he co-wrote one game, and that is literally it. And that was a game that only just released in that last few months. Game of Thrones and the books it's based on have no connection to any video game at all. Honestly, that admiration could be placed at the feet of Andrzej Sapkowski (Author of The Witcher series) and it would as much sense, and that's a man who has publicly disrespected video games as medium. True, Gorge R.R. Martin hasn't done that, but he has himself admitted he has no personal relationship with video games and could count the amount he has played on one hand.

Maybe you're right but that's just how I feel towards George R.R Martin and I'm happy that you respect my opinion on that. As for Andrzej Sapkowski, The Witcher series have been incredible all thanks to his good efforts especially in The Witcher 3 : Wild Hunt. 

1 hour ago, Heatman said:

The man do appeal to me with what's he's done. I would say he's the humble type of person to write off what he's done so easily, but that's not for me. I have been impressed with what he's done so far. There is no doubt that Andrzej Sapkowski  should be recognised on this as well with what we had on The Witcher Series. I'm a big fan of The Witcher series as well. 

in a move that is becoming typical for you, that being not reading what people are posting before constructing a reply, a very apparent and utterly annoying habit for "Post Farmers" as of late, the whole point I tried to make is that Andrzej Sapkowski should NOT be recognised nor admired for his "role" in games industry despite his involvement with The Witcher. I then compared that to George R. R. Martin given that the man has done next to nothing for the game's industry apart from co-write one, single game.

Seriously, what is wrong with you? If you can't show people the bare minimum of respect by actually reading and understanding what they post before you reply, then get off this forum. Both as a member and a mod', I have had enough of this. Consider this as a final warning. From this point on, these mistakes are not an accident, they are acts of wilful ignorance that will not be tolerated any longer.

Confirm via PM that you understand before making another reply in this forum or I WILL revoke your right to post on this forum.

EDIT: Your reply was also written terribly, another sign you don't care.

Edited by Shagger

3 hours ago, Aniekwe said:

Maybe you're right but that's just how I feel towards George R.R Martin and I'm happy that you respect my opinion on that. As for Andrzej Sapkowski, The Witcher series have been incredible all thanks to his good efforts especially in The Witcher 3 : Wild Hunt. 

Well Andrzej Sapkowski had nothing to do with the game itself other than selling the licence of his books to CD project. In fact Andrzej Sapkowski never really cared about videogame about his game, he though it was going to fail, and when the game did succed he sue CD Project for more money. 

3 hours ago, Heatman said:

I agree with @Shagger I dont understand how you all make statements as to how you admire George RR Martin and regard him as a videogame visionary when the guy barely even plays videogames and his role on Elden Ring was actually only a small part in the story and design, actually most of the material that GRRM provided for Elden Ring was modified or changed.

How can many of the members here claim to admire these two writters  George R.R Martin and Andrzej Sapkowski for their roles in the videogame industry when they litteraly only had a small part in it ?? How can you admire someone for being a videogame icon and not know their actual role in the videogame industry???

If someone has to be admire it has to be the developers like on Elden ring for example all credit should go to Hidetaka Miyazaki, he was the Director and the actual writer for the game. And as for The Witcher 3 all credit should go to CD project, not Andrzej Sapkowski.

EDIT: Now that I remember there was also another Thread about George RR Martin's love for videogames that somehow spawned multiple pages of comments, when the guy barely even plays videogames.

Edited by kingpotato

53 minutes ago, kingpotato said:

Well Andrzej Sapkowski had nothing to do with the game itself other than selling the licence of his books to CD project. In fact Andrzej Sapkowski never really cared about videogame about his game, he though it was going to fail, and when the game did succed he sue CD Project for more money. 

Exactly. He accepted a pittance for the licence because he had no faith the game adaptation would be successful. Before the games, hardly anyone outside of Poland had even heard about the novels. Now, "The Witcher" is a household name that even spawned a TV show. His books sold hundreds of thousands, maybe even millions of copies that would never have sold if it wasn't for the games booting the franchise's popularity. And how does he thank CDPR? By suing them! If he had even a shred of respect for video games as a medium and the fans, his fans, who play them, he wouldn't have been in that situation. I don't care how good his work is, the man is a dick and he has nobody to blame for loosing out on the game's success other then himself. It's a shame CDPR had to reach a settlement with him, he didn't deserve any more money.