Register Now
StaceyPowers

What do you miss most about older games?

The game stories. Nowadays there's games like GTA, CoD, and Skyrim. Games that depend on split second processors and life like graphics. Games back on NES were meant for solely story and didn't concern themselves with all the bells and whistles. There were games that had huge worlds to explore, but they felt like more of a story you could get lost in than the new stuff.

Edited by The Blackangel

12 hours ago, The Blackangel said:

The game stories. Nowadays there's games like GTA, CoD, and Skyrim. Games that depend on split second processors and life like graphics. Games back on NES were meant for solely story and didn't concern themselves with all the bells and whistles. There were games that had huge worlds to explore, but they felt like more of a story you could get lost in than the new stuff.

imagen.png.cbb3f8c39e022f11483178f803a9f7f5.png

imagen.png.4c852e7b2db072bbf660623e1cc19575.png

imagen.png.d4c810b1baa59d1eb0648df953ff2b3f.png

imagen.png.3b10617f481a82e4462fee86881ae28b.png

I would be even more ironic towards you and shove your beloved Final Fantasy VIII down your throat.

Remember what you said about post 2000's music? Yeah, you look like the one who made the post.

Also, NO THEY WEREN'T. Like sure, some of the BEST games for the NES had some emphasis on story. However, most NES games only cared about keeping the arcade design. Why? Because back then the NES was trying to showcase that it could play arcade games from the home rather than having the user go and spend quarters on an arcade. Games like Ninja Gaiden, Castlevania, Super Mario Bros., Mega Man, Contra, Mike Tyson's Punch-Out!, Ducktales (Which also got remastered and if you don't think that's good, then you really need to re-evaulate your life), River City Ransom, Battletoads, Gradius, and others were designed with this purpose behind them.

Games like Final Fantasy only came during the end of the NES life cycle which is why the SNES exists.

1 minute ago, The Blackangel said:

You obviously were born afterwards, and have proven once again that your bigoted opinions have no fucking clue whatsoever.

And by the way, that list over there is literally just a few examples of games that have been popular and loved by many people because of their stories to tell. Let's not forget Skies of Arcadia, the Tales Series, The Legend of Heroes series, Mass Effect, Borderlands, F.E.A.R., the Epic Battle Fantasy series, Devil May Cry, Dissidia, the Deus Ex series, the Alien games, the Arkham Series (Those in particular are considered the BEST Batman Games by far), Burnout, Dead Space, BlazBlue, Fallout, the GOD EATER series, the HITMAN series, Splinter Cell, Metal Gear Solid (LOL THE NES METAL GEAR GAME BEING GOOD HAHAHAHHAHA), the aforementioned Castlevania: Symphony of the Night, Rocket League, Skullgirls, SOMA, Sonic Mania, Under Night In-Birth [EXE] Late:st, the Persona series.

And that is not even going near the MANY indie games that have earned their spot in gaming history that only could've come out these days like Degrees of Separation, Dust: An Elysian Tail, Them's Fightin' Herds, SUPERHOT, The Talos Principle, The Room, Rivals of Aether, This is the Police, Layers of Fear, Fran Bow, need I say more?

3 minutes ago, The Blackangel said:

You obviously were born afterwards, and have proven once again that your bigoted opinions have no fucking clue whatsoever.

Au contraire, it seems like the one who has bigoted opinions is you because that opinion you made about current-day gaming is extremely shallow and not true whatsoever.

Have you actually PLAYED any of the aforementioned NES games? Because it seems like you haven't. At the very least I bothered to go through them, and SNES games (Also, my favorite game is Sonic 3 & Knuckles, which is a GENESIS game).

22 hours ago, StaceyPowers said:

A lot of people say that they miss games from their childhood. Aside from the nostalgia factor, what aspects of older games do you miss the most?

Something I really miss from games of old is literally their structure.

It's really sad that nowadays things like cheat codes, cosmetic items, game features, and more are locked behind DLC and Microtransaction walls... To be honest, it's really sad that a lot of people have allowed this practice to happen.

I miss the time where these things were given to players as rewards for completing their favorite games (Especially during the PS1 era) rather than something that you need to buy in order to negate the satisfaction of completing the game.

Just now, The Blackangel said:

Yes I have played them. Many times. They all suck. Yes your rebuttal is to mention games that are NOT on the NES? Interesting that your argument has nothing to do with my post, and only with your stupidity.

WHAT?! How can you be an NES gamer who says that games like Excitebike, Ninja Gaiden, and Contra suck? Are you out of your mind?

Also, your argument was that NES games were better than modern day games because of story and world design. So I gave you current examples about games that were praised for their story and design. And hell, you can look towards my second post where EVEN MORE GAMES that were praised for their story and world were praised outside of the NES.

Of course, I also mentioned the purpose behind many original NES games. Especially during the time of release -Which you also glanced over because it didn't help your argument-. I also said that games like Final Fantasy were released by nearly the end of the NES life cycle (which is why FFII and III were not released in the west in favor of IV and VI). 

So yeah, you don't know your history, you don't know the games you're arguing for, and you certainly don't know what you're talking about. Something I noticed throughout all this time we've been talking is that as soon as someone challenges your view, you start calling them bigots, idiots, stupid, or even nazis. Of course, everyone ends up challenging that opinion because you stating something as fact doesn't automatically make it true. Honestly, I am baffled at how much hostility you have towards opinions that aren't your own, dude. Especially against someone who literally is here to discuss games at length, nothing more.

Just now, killamch89 said:

I miss the amazing stories in older video games as well as the games were practically bug-free and completed instead of this day-1 patch nonsense. On top of that, older video games were way more affordable.

Uhm, wasn't Mega Man X2 (or any game with a FX chip for that matter) problematic because of the asking price?

Also since we're on the subject of prices... I thought NES and SNES games costed 40-60?

1 minute ago, UleTheVee said:

Uhm, wasn't Mega Man X2 (or any game with a FX chip for that matter) problematic because of the asking price?

Also since we're on the subject of prices... I thought NES and SNES games costed 40-60?

I remember most games being at $35 to $40 dollars - I'm not sure about $60 dollars. On top of that, you have to purchase DLC packs for modern games which takes the price way over $60 dollars and then add to that the microtransaction systems in-game take the amount of money spent on one game to astronomical levels.

Just now, killamch89 said:

I remember most games being at $35 to $40 dollars - I'm not sure about $60 dollars. On top of that, you have to purchase DLC packs for modern games which takes the price way over $60 dollars and then add to that the microtransaction systems in-game take the amount of money spent on one game to astronomical levels.

And buying game re-releases of old games (The MANY editions of Street Fighter II) isn't kind of worse because you have to buy a new game for the sake of an update?

1 minute ago, UleTheVee said:

And buying game re-releases of old games (The MANY editions of Street Fighter II) isn't kind of worse because you have to buy a new game for the sake of an update?

The difference is those were optional - You could still complete the original game without buying the remakes. Most of the games nowadays purposely give you an incomplete game which forces you to buy the DLCs. I agree that selling many re-releases of older games is a horrible practice (one of the many that are quite overlooked in the gaming industry) but the DLCs of most modern games cost even more than the original game itself and that is quite disturbing.