Register Now
StaceyPowers

What do you miss most about older games?

5 minutes ago, killamch89 said:

I remember most games being at $35 to $40 dollars - I'm not sure about $60 dollars. On top of that, you have to purchase DLC packs for modern games which takes the price way over $60 dollars and then add to that the microtransaction systems in-game take the amount of money spent on one game to astronomical levels.

imagen.png.1ae13a1e7b4d5232da0babad52a63a8b.png

Okay so I did some digging and apparently I was right. Most games went for the 40 bucks while games that had addons like the FX chip went over 60 dollars (obviously because of the added tech and such). Some games (like Mega Man X) saw discounts which.. My god 17.99

Also, it's a good thing I also mentioned games that didn't have MTX models or additional DLC packages like Dead space righT? lol

4 minutes ago, killamch89 said:

The difference is those were optional - You could still complete the original game without buying the remakes. Most of the games nowadays purposely give you an incomplete game which forces you to buy the DLCs. I agree that selling many re-releases of older games is a horrible practice (one of the many that are quite overlooked in the gaming industry) but the DLCs of most modern games cost even more than the original game itself and that is quite disturbing.

I mean, let's go back to Resident Evil 2 and my question of "Is that thing you're saying actually holding up?" comes up. Like.. Let's not kid ourselves, there are many games which offer a complete experience at no additional cost with more content for people who love it. Sure, the model can be abused (And it HAS BEEN abused by american companies) but even so there are games like the BlazBlue series which had their own complete story mode and such without trying to go after player's wallets.

Also, you know you could argue the same thing about games with DLC right? "You didn't have to buy the DLC for the game". Not to mention, what's 10 to 20 dollars compared to a FULL GAME PRICE?

Edited by UleTheVee

7 minutes ago, UleTheVee said:

I mean, let's go back to Resident Evil 2 and my question of "Is that thing you're saying actually holding up?" comes up. Like.. Let's not kid ourselves, there are many games which offer a complete experience at no additional cost with more content for people who love it. Sure, the model can be abused (And it HAS BEEN abused by american companies) but even so there are games like the BlazBlue series which had their own complete story mode and such without trying to go after player's wallets.

Also, you know you could argue the same thing about games with DLC right? "You didn't have to buy the DLC for the game". Not to mention, what's 10 to 20 dollars compared to a FULL GAME PRICE?

Except that with games especially from AAA companies (COD for example), the DLCs usually cost almost as much as the original game and the DLC itself doesn't add that much content. Yes, Resident Evil is an exception to the rule by giving us free DLCs but it's weird that the standard nowadays is that you pay for a game, end up with having to pay for DLCs when you already spent $60 dollars on the game. GTA online also give free DLCs but it requires spending upwards of $200 dollars to acquire most of the stuff that comes in the DLC. Yes, you could do heists and other stuff repeatedly but all it turns into is a massive grind that'll take maybe 2-3 months to get half of the stuff in a DLC. I am using the current industry practices of EA and the bigger corporations as they are the ones that set the trends in the gaming industry.

3 minutes ago, killamch89 said:

Except that with games especially from AAA companies (COD for example), the DLCs usually cost almost as much as the original game and the DLC itself doesn't add that much content. Yes, Resident Evil is an exception to the rule by giving us free DLCs but it's weird that the standard nowadays is that you pay for a game, end up with having to pay for DLCs when you already spent $60 dollars on the game. GTA online also give free DLCs but it requires spending upwards of $200 dollars to acquire most of the stuff that comes in the DLC. Yes, you could do heists and other stuff repeatedly but all it turns into is a massive grind that'll take maybe 2-3 months to get half of the stuff in a DLC. I am using the current industry practices of EA and the bigger corporations as they are the ones that set the trends in the gaming industry.

More like, games like GTA and COD (Which are focused on the Games as a Service model rather than on being games) are the exception to the rule. Like I said before, most games nowadays do still offer the story you want and those expansive worlds you seek for. Hell, look at the aforementioned lists of games which are all basically full game stories without DLC attached to them. Games like Dissidia NT only offer DLC for characters (Or rather one character) and the issue is automatically negated by the fact that the game costs 40 dollars to begin with (so there goes your overpricing argument).

But if you want, I could go on and mention even more examples that have just popped up my head. Games like Bayonetta (and its sequel), Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII, Devil May Cry 5, Deadpool, Dead Rising, Dead Rising 2 (and Off The Record), Half-Life, Amnesia: The Dark Descent, Alien: Isolation, Civilization VI, Dragon Ball Xenoverse (it offers ADDITIONAL CONTENT, not content that was cut from the game so don't even), Lone Survivor, Mirror's Edge, Metro 2033, Octopath Traveler, Xenoblade Chronicles 2, Sanctum. All of those games (and more I fail to recall right now) offer incredible single player stories without the need of gating off cut content behind DLC.

YOUR PROBLEM comes from Games as a Service games, not current day games.

9 hours ago, UleTheVee said:

WHAT?! How can you be an NES gamer who says that games like Excitebike, Ninja Gaiden, and Contra suck? Are you out of your mind?

Also, your argument was that NES games were better than modern day games because of story and world design. So I gave you current examples about games that were praised for their story and design. And hell, you can look towards my second post where EVEN MORE GAMES that were praised for their story and world were praised outside of the NES.

Of course, I also mentioned the purpose behind many original NES games. Especially during the time of release -Which you also glanced over because it didn't help your argument-. I also said that games like Final Fantasy were released by nearly the end of the NES life cycle (which is why FFII and III were not released in the west in favor of IV and VI). 

So yeah, you don't know your history, you don't know the games you're arguing for, and you certainly don't know what you're talking about. Something I noticed throughout all this time we've been talking is that as soon as someone challenges your view, you start calling them bigots, idiots, stupid, or even nazis. Of course, everyone ends up challenging that opinion because you stating something as fact doesn't automatically make it true. Honestly, I am baffled at how much hostility you have towards opinions that aren't your own, dude. Especially against someone who literally is here to discuss games at length, nothing more.

Ok asshole, I'm only going to say this once. YOU are the only one I'm hostile to. YOU are a useless, misogynistic piece of shit. YOU have no clue what I do and do not know being that I offer OPINIONS. My OPINIONS being different than your narrow minded assessment is something your puny mind can't handle. There was no mention anywhere of Excitebike, Contra, or Ninja Gaiden prior to your whiny rant. That had absolutely nothing to do with this argument. And as for your FF comment, you only proved you are a complete moron. FF2 and FF3 WERE in fact released in the West. How do I know this you ask? BECAUSE I FUCKING OWN THEM YOU MORON.

I would have tried to dumb this down so you could understand it easier, but I don't have the ability to sink to your level of stupidity.

So blow it out your ass and fuck off. I'm done with you.

Edited by The Blackangel

52 minutes ago, The Blackangel said:

Ok asshole, I'm only going to say this once. YOU are the only one I'm hostile to. YOU are a useless, misogynistic piece of shit. YOU have no clue what I do and do not know being that I offer OPINIONS. My OPINIONS being different than your narrow minded assessment is something your puny mind can't handle. There was no mention anywhere of Excitebike, Contra, or Ninja Gaiden prior to your whiny rant. That had absolutely nothing to do with this argument. And as for your FF comment, you only proved you are a complete moron. FF2 and FF3 WERE in fact released in the West. How do I know this you ask? BECAUSE I FUCKING OWN THEM YOU MORON.

I would have tried to dumb this down so you could understand it easier, but I don't have the ability to sink to your level of stupidity.

So blow it out your ass and fuck off. I'm done with you.

I think the ones you think you have are Final Fantasy IV and VI (AKA. Final Fantasy II and III in America which caused the massive confusion). Final Fantasy II was never released in America until it was released as Final Fantasy Origins on the original PS1. Final Fantasy III wasn't released at all outside of Japan until litereally 16 years later (Nintendo DS) as a complete remake of the NES Original (Kind of getting the same treatment as FFIV).

So yeah.. your point about "owning them" is easily disproven. Also, you missed the point I was making entirely. Your original point was that NES games were massive and focused on story. However, I pointed out that it was far from the case because most NES Games were designed with emulation of arcade machines in mind. In other words, you were wrong and spread misinformation (yet again). Not only that, but I also provided examples of games that followed said design (which fits most of the NES library).

It was only later during the NES lifespan that games started to become a bit more massive. Games like Zelda II: The Adventure of Link being a good example of that. However, most of the games that were being developed at this point would be coming at the end of the Famicom/NES life cycle (which was already being trumped by the SNES). Final Fantasy II and III are the most common knowledge stories about this problem. Both of the games were being developed for the Famicom but did not get an NES port because the SNES already was around at the time. As such, Final Fantasy IV and Vi were localized instead (with V being changed by Mystic Quest as a response to some negative feedback and Mystic Quest also being the first FF game to be released in Europe). However, IV and Vi were instead dubbed II and III respectively to supposedly prevent confusion.

So yeah, your original argument was wrong, the argument you have now is wrong, and you can't even get a simple thing about your gaming history straight.

4 minutes ago, kingpotato said:

So...What I miss the most about older games is the old tale that blowing into the cartridge made it work, Good old days.

I remember doing so for my N64 carts.

Dude, do you remember the classic time of tilting the carts on that thing? My cousin used to do that a lot.

12 hours ago, UleTheVee said:

I think the ones you think you have are Final Fantasy IV and VI (AKA. Final Fantasy II and III in America which caused the massive confusion). Final Fantasy II was never released in America until it was released as Final Fantasy Origins on the original PS1. Final Fantasy III wasn't released at all outside of Japan until litereally 16 years later (Nintendo DS) as a complete remake of the NES Original (Kind of getting the same treatment as FFIV).

So yeah.. your point about "owning them" is easily disproven. Also, you missed the point I was making entirely. Your original point was that NES games were massive and focused on story. However, I pointed out that it was far from the case because most NES Games were designed with emulation of arcade machines in mind. In other words, you were wrong and spread misinformation (yet again). Not only that, but I also provided examples of games that followed said design (which fits most of the NES library).

It was only later during the NES lifespan that games started to become a bit more massive. Games like Zelda II: The Adventure of Link being a good example of that. However, most of the games that were being developed at this point would be coming at the end of the Famicom/NES life cycle (which was already being trumped by the SNES). Final Fantasy II and III are the most common knowledge stories about this problem. Both of the games were being developed for the Famicom but did not get an NES port because the SNES already was around at the time. As such, Final Fantasy IV and Vi were localized instead (with V being changed by Mystic Quest as a response to some negative feedback and Mystic Quest also being the first FF game to be released in Europe). However, IV and Vi were instead dubbed II and III respectively to supposedly prevent confusion.

So yeah, your original argument was wrong, the argument you have now is wrong, and you can't even get a simple thing about your gaming history straight.

You think wrong. They ARE the real FF2 and FF3, that I bought BRAND NEW AT TH TIME OF RELEASE at Walmart. At the time I thought they looked odd, yet fun. 

Your holier-than-thou I-know-everything-you-know-nothing only proves you are a waste of space that has no clue about anything you talk about. You're just a troll looking to stir shit up. I'm blocking you now, so don't bother replying to this, because it won't be seen, nor will any of your other baby-bullshit-cry-me-a-river posts.

God forbid you have any kids, as they'll be just as fucked up as you are.

Do the world a favor and hang yourself. Now.

15 hours ago, UleTheVee said:

I remember doing so for my N64 carts.

Dude, do you remember the classic time of tilting the carts on that thing? My cousin used to do that a lot.

Na dude not really, I know it was a thing but I never did tilted the cartridges.

48 minutes ago, kingpotato said:

Na dude not really, I know it was a thing but I never did tilted the cartridges.

Me and my cousin had a lot of fun doing so, believe me. But the fun ends once you literally have the game crashing for the first time.

Actually, have you ever had the cartridge reader failing or something?

4 hours ago, The Blackangel said:

You think wrong. They ARE the real FF2 and FF3, that I bought BRAND NEW AT TH TIME OF RELEASE at Walmart. At the time I thought they looked odd, yet fun. 

Your holier-than-thou I-know-everything-you-know-nothing only proves you are a waste of space that has no clue about anything you talk about. You're just a troll looking to stir shit up. I'm blocking you now, so don't bother replying to this, because it won't be seen, nor will any of your other baby-bullshit-cry-me-a-river posts.

God forbid you have any kids, as they'll be just as fucked up as you are.

Do the world a favor and hang yourself. Now.

Dude... harsh. I understand you don't like him but acting like this is just gonna get you in trouble...

I think simplicity and amount of less complexity in the information is what people miss. Now a days games are forcefully online. And offline approach is less preferred. Campaign games don't do much in the gaming from what I have learned in my experience. 

3 hours ago, Alyxx said:

Dude... harsh. I understand you don't like him but acting like this is just gonna get you in trouble...

If you attack me at every opportunity the way this piece of shit has been doing, I will eventually get vicious. I'm not the type of woman who takes this bullshit lightly.