Register Now
StaceyPowers

What do you miss most about older games?

well pretty much this: back in the day, when they said they were to release a quality game, you were expecting quality content right from the get-go, nowadays, when they say they are to release a quality game - on launch you get the game, and in half a year of updates and DLCs (both free and paid) you then get quality... 

Ofc, there are some exceptions like DMC V, MK 11, Sekiro and others, but this sort of tendency (to withhold quality) wasn't present before, as far as I'm aware... T_T 

On 5/13/2019 at 1:05 AM, Bravosi said:

That atmosphere compensated for the lacks of graphics!

I can't remember which game it was that someone here mentioned to me had a lot of mist/fog to hide the low-quality graphics, which had the end effect of making the game fantastically atmospheric. @DylanC @killamch89 I think one of you was the one who mentioned it.

15 minutes ago, StaceyPowers said:

I can't remember which game it was that someone here mentioned to me had a lot of mist/fog to hide the low-quality graphics, which had the end effect of making the game fantastically atmospheric. @DylanC @killamch89 I think one of you was the one who mentioned it.

I remember that comment, I think it was Silent Hill 1 from the PS1

10 hours ago, StaceyPowers said:

Yep, that was me and the game was indeed Silent Hill back on the PS1. The iconic fog effect was used to mask the fact the PS1 found it difficult to render 3D. The decision turned out to be a hit, as obviously the fog went on to become a staple in the Konami horror franchise. 

On 5/16/2019 at 8:31 AM, DylanC said:

Yep, that was me and the game was indeed Silent Hill back on the PS1. The iconic fog effect was used to mask the fact the PS1 found it difficult to render 3D. The decision turned out to be a hit, as obviously the fog went on to become a staple in the Konami horror franchise. 

Oh boy I'd love to replay that one again! :)

In past games were lot more one dimensional in their approach. They had less issues with the complexity on the navigation of main character. Now a days the game developers make it more of about choices than a story. 

On 5/16/2019 at 12:31 AM, DylanC said:

Skyrim does the same thing especially in dungeons but it isn't quite as well done though...

Anyone miss those co op racing games?  that feature was also used in one tank game. I kind of miss those days considering playing with people was fun. And the demand for those type of games also ended eventually. 

One thing I miss about older games, is that back in the NES and SNES era, we all played for fun. Now with the super high def systems, all the in game purchases, the multi co-op games, the online gaming, it's more of a competition to see who can outdo who, instead of who you have fun with. It's really sad to me.

On 6/21/2019 at 10:48 AM, The Blackangel said:

One thing I miss about older games, is that back in the NES and SNES era, we all played for fun. Now with the super high def systems, all the in game purchases, the multi co-op games, the online gaming, it's more of a competition to see who can outdo who, instead of who you have fun with. It's really sad to me.

I personally don't have any problem with competition at all once everyone is on a level playing field and the skill of the individual player determines how well you do against other players. P2W is what I have a really big problem with because it makes a game favor the biggest spenders.