Register Now
StaceyPowers

What do you miss most about older games?

Honestly, I miss the authenticity of the old schools graphics applied to older versions of games. With the growth of computer science and  technology it can be too easy to get 'bogged down' in the basics and over complicate the design of some games. I like when a design is simple yet effective so that the game maintains its original presentation. I feel that a game earns its fan base often through its loyalty to certain components, so providing too big of a change to something like its design may put people off from buying future games in a series.

You make a very good point. Like, I loved Zelda from the original all the way up through the N64. But when Wind Waker came out, I was disgusted. If I wanted to watch a cartoon, I would watch a cartoon. It made me want to puke. And Twilight Princess was a total let down. They went too much for graphics, and too little for story. Final Fantasy also had it's problems. I love the first six, and FF8 is my all time favorite. But FF7, and then FF9-FF14 were, in my opinion, just horrible games. FF15 looks decent, but I haven't played it a whole lot. Final Fantasy has a lot of problems.

Edited by The Blackangel

I think I miss the simplicity of the older games, don't get me wrong the visuals and in-depth levels that modern day games go to is something to behold and they really have come on massively since first gen consoles but along the way the controls have become way complicated to do even the simplest of things in some games. Something that before required one button now requires several and to be pushed in a precise order.

On 5/5/2020 at 1:19 AM, digital said:

I think I miss the simplicity of the older games, don't get me wrong the visuals and in-depth levels that modern day games go to is something to behold and they really have come on massively since first gen consoles but along the way the controls have become way complicated to do even the simplest of things in some games. Something that before required one button now requires several and to be pushed in a precise order.

Yes the simplicity in older games made it pretty easier and also something to love with. I think today we lack simplicity but we have gained graphics improvement. 

9 hours ago, skyfire said:

Yes the simplicity in older games made it pretty easier and also something to love with. I think today we lack simplicity but we have gained graphics improvement. 

Yeah, but is that really a good trade? It seems more that games are made to be art projects instead of entertainment. Why would I buy something just because I like how it looks if it's not simple to enjoy? I love the look of a manchineel tree. But It's deadly to try to enjoy. Even sitting under it is deadly. So instead I could sit under an oak and look at my manchineel without interacting with it.

Not a lot of win there. I have it, and even though it's beautiful I can't enjoy it because it's all looks, whereas I can enjoy the oak in any way I want, being that it is a much simpler tree.

I think that's one reason Kojima hated the multiplayer games which had no stories. So I think a lot of older games were attractive because they had some sort of story trail to follow. I am sure soon we will move towards balance of story and graphics. I am happy with Witcher and Assasin Creed development over the years. 

What I miss most about gaming is the sheer simplicity of it. I have always loved how Road Rash and Dave captivated the 90s kids.

Today, we have games that offer bike modifications, nitro booster and other skills, but nothing compared tot thefun I had while kicking the nearest bike rider while I was playing road rash. 

Besides, the older games were linear and has a similar conclusion, which I hardly find now

I miss levels!!! Not many modern games have levels to pass, then go on to another one with a different atmosphere. Today, we level up abilities instead. I miss the simplicity of controllers. You pop in the game and start playing. Today, you have to remember what buttons do what. In sports, you just play. Today it can take an hour to look at stats, build team, call plays. Back then you don't run out of ammo or have to fix gear or nurture your animal. In one hour you could have done a lot of gaming back then. In one hour today, you could dump some weight in your inventory, look at map to see where you are and need to go, choose a quest, choose a new ability, upgrade a weapon, then start playing. After you hit the wrong button and gave yourself the rarest healing potion, you got to restart the game again at latest save file. Hour up? Now you are ready to play. Fuck it, now it's time to go outside. 

Saving anywhere anytime. I hate the currently popular "checkpoint" based save systems. And most are badly implemented even at that.

It happens to me numerous times that I get called away during gaming, then what do you do? Play until there is a checkpoint and seem like an asshole to everyone, or loose all progress since the last checkpoint? Or worse you get a call during a cutscene. There is no way to go back and view it again. But with a manual save system you simply load the save before the cutscene. As the story is the most important bit to me in games loosing out on a part of it is unacceptable to me.