Register Now
StaceyPowers

What do you miss most about older games?

6 hours ago, killamch89 said:

That's a great point actually - The music back in the day was full of variety. Most of the modern games nowadays have some kind of techno pop music.

I don't mind that as much personally. What I do mind is that every AAA game has generic orchestral music.

On 7/5/2019 at 2:11 AM, Alyxx said:

I don't mind that as much personally. What I do mind is that every AAA game has generic orchestral music.

The new Assassin Creed set to launch this year also has Orchestra music (to be fair, it sounded amazing at the E3 presentation)

Edited by killamch89

7 hours ago, killamch89 said:

The new Assassin Creed set to launch this year also has Orchestra music (to be fair, it sounded amazing at the E3 presentation)

Not saying orchestral music can't be good just that it irks me that every AAA game needs to have it and it NEVER sounds memorable, just generic background noise.

I miss the community aspect of the games and the over-reliance on graphics to be the standard for a good game.  I will never forget the evenings spent with a microphone, my Xbox 360, and a group of friends playing together and meeting new people while playing grifball.  Gaming has followed everything else in life.  It's about the money and notoriety.  Casual gaming is no more imo.  

On 7/7/2019 at 7:21 PM, The Blackangel said:

Yeah but who doesn't remember and love the theme music from The Legend of Zelda(NES) and Zelda 2(NES)?

Those started as chiptunes, not orchestral music. Kinda just proves my point though that video game music used to be more memorable.

4 hours ago, Alyxx said:

Those started as chiptunes, not orchestral music. Kinda just proves my point though that video game music used to be more memorable.

It's true that the music used to be more unique and even though some of them were outright bizarre, they were very distinctive.

23 hours ago, killamch89 said:

Older gamers had much more simplistic systems as well. I feel as if modern games have all these overly complicated systems for ridiculously simple functions in-game.

That's true. I grew up in the Atari and Colecovision era. The NES didn't come out until I was in grade school. And I remember everyone being blown away by the graphics because they were so detailed and so advanced. A bit of a joke now isn't it? And the library for the system was absolutely enormous. To this day I'm always coming across games that I've never even heard of. For example there was one a couple years ago that I hadn't heard of. Everyone has played Contra. A lot of us have played Super C. But how many have played Contra Force? That is one that I had never heard of and, yes, it's on the NES.

Edited by The Blackangel

6 hours ago, The Blackangel said:

That's true. I grew up in the Atari and Colecovision era. The NES didn't come out until I was in grade school. And I remember everyone being blown away by the graphics because they were so detailed and so advanced. A bit of a joke now isn't it? And the library for the system was absolutely enormous. To this day I'm always coming across games that I've never even heard of. For example there was one a couple years ago that I hadn't heard of. Everyone has played Contra. A lot of us have played Super C. But how many have played Contra Force? That is one that I had never heard of and, yes, it's on the NES.

Some gameplay systems have become so ridiculously complicated that it takes 3-4 buttons being pressed simultaneously to equip a weapon and reload it.

On 7/12/2019 at 6:40 PM, killamch89 said:

Some gameplay systems have become so ridiculously complicated that it takes 3-4 buttons being pressed simultaneously to equip a weapon and reload it.

The NES controller was, in my opinion, the best one. It was a no nonsense, straight to the point controller. All you needed were 2 buttons and a D-pad. Now controllers have a bazillion buttons, a lot of which aren’t even used most of the time. I mean when was the last time you remember using the D-pad on the N64 controller instead of the control stick? I’ve only played ONE game on the system that employed use of the D-pad. That was South Park.

8 hours ago, The Blackangel said:

The NES controller was, in my opinion, the best one. It was a no nonsense, straight to the point controller. All you needed were 2 buttons and a D-pad. Now controllers have a bazillion buttons, a lot of which aren’t even used most of the time. I mean when was the last time you remember using the D-pad on the N64 controller instead of the control stick? I’ve only played ONE game on the system that employed use of the D-pad. That was South Park.

I don't even have that much of an issue using the D-pad or Joysticks or the number of buttons on say a PS4 controller. I just despise the fact that some of the simplest functions in modern games require so many buttons. It's comparable to remember the buttons for a character's special moves in a fighting game except the same amount of button presses opens a simple menu.