Register Now
StaceyPowers

What factors make you skip a quest or leave it incomplete?

I usually complete as many quests as I can in any game I play, but some quests never get finished. Usually I skip quests because of the following reasons:

• There is a location I find extremely tedious or frustrating (i.e. an irradiated vault in Fallout, or an extremely maze-like and/or repetitious dungeon in Skyrim).
  • Moral issues (i.e. to progress in the quest would mean doing something my character is opposed to).
  • Concern about companions (i.e. continuing the quest might harm my follower in terms of their storyline).

What causes you to leave a quest incomplete?

I never had an issue with moral choices or companions (I always end up killing my own companions anyway) But the only reason I leave quests incomplete its because of the bugs. For example I have never ever finished the Thief guild quests in Skyrim, my original copy had an issue after completing 3 or 4 quests of the guild. I purchased the Legendary edition about a year ago which supposedly fixed some bugs (still has a few bugs) but I haven't got that far in the story again.

Most times it is because of game-breaking bugs why I leave certain quests incomplete. Other reasons are the overall effect of a particular quest on the outcome of my playthrough - for instance, we have a side mission that takes up a lot of time but the rewards and quest completion are negligible, I won't complete it because it has no real relevance on my progress in-game.

If I haven't explored a certain part of a map yet and a quest goes way out somewhere, I will skip it till I get around to that area. If time runs out, oh well. If not then I'll get around to it. I don't like jumping around in maps. I like to enjoy all the flavors of exploration instead of rushing around skipping things to get to a quest and neglect the sites. Or if I'm done with a certain area and moving on, then a quest wants me to go back, I'll pass unless it will give me something good. 

But, I do like quests that will push you forward just enough to open up a portion of a map. For example, when I started playing AC Origins, a quest at the beginning of a city, you hop on a boat and cruise through the canal and see the sites around the city. Things like that I love. If you want me to go to BFE, then FU. 

I agree with other folks about the bugs. The only reason I can ever see myself not finishing a quest is if it's bugged, or if I lose out on a significant amount of other story content by completing it (and sometimes not even then). 

I can't be the only person who is driven absolutely crazy by a random unfinished quest sitting there lol