Register Now
kingpotato

Gaming myths

Do you guys remember the common gaming myths back in the day ? Such as :
-Blowing into the cartridge to make it work
-Big foot or some evil ghost on the old ps2 GTA games or even fake cheat codes.
-The hidden levels or characters at arcade games like in Mortal kombat

What Myths of gaming do you remember the most ?

I also know few people used to beat the joystick in order to make it work. And some even used to throw the cartridge down and get it fixed. I know those are some surefire ways of beating the cartridge or the gaming device. 

4 hours ago, kingpotato said:

Do you guys remember the common gaming myths back in the day ? Such as :
-Blowing into the cartridge to make it work
-Big foot or some evil ghost on the old ps2 GTA games or even fake cheat codes.
-The hidden levels or characters at arcade games like in Mortal kombat

What Myths of gaming do you remember the most ?

Wait.. Blowing into the cartridge didn't do anything?

> 1 research later <

OH MY GOD THAT WAS A MYTH!

4 hours ago, skyfire said:

I also know few people used to beat the joystick in order to make it work. And some even used to throw the cartridge down and get it fixed. I know those are some surefire ways of beating the cartridge or the gaming device. 

I still beat the TV controller from time to time 😆

36 minutes ago, killamch89 said:

I remember wiping the scratches on the PS CDs with water to get them to work and it did in fact work at times.

I remember we used to do something similar but with toothpaste, as well it worked some times.

6 minutes ago, The Blackangel said:

The biggest myth I remember was pushed by the church. It was that the idea of video games came to the innovator in a dream that was sent to him by none other than Satan himself.

Never had that issue with my local church, but my mom did used to say that some of my games had references to the devil and she was actually correct most of my old games did had some type of hell stage or demon enemy 😆

6 minutes ago, UleTheVee said:

Wait.. Blowing into the cartridge didn't do anything?

> 1 research later <

OH MY GOD THAT WAS A MYTH!

Yeah dude apparently we where not supposed to do that since it could damage the cartridge 😆

On 5/1/2019 at 9:05 PM, kingpotato said:

I still beat the TV controller from time to time 😆

I remember we used to do something similar but with toothpaste, as well it worked some times.

Never had that issue with my local church, but my mom did used to say that some of my games had references to the devil and she was actually correct most of my old games did had some type of hell stage or demon enemy 😆

Yeah dude apparently we where not supposed to do that since it could damage the cartridge 😆

Toothpaste?! Some of these gaming myths are downright bizarre and ignorant church folks always claim most things are the work of the devil so I'm not surprised about that one. When I thought back about blowing into the cartridge, I asked myself the same question - why did I believe this actually worked when I was younger.

30 minutes ago, killamch89 said:

Toothpaste?! Some of these gaming myths are downright bizarre and ignorant church folks always claim most things are the work of the devil so I'm not surprised about that one. When I thought back about blowing into the cartridge, I asked myself the same question - why did I believe this actually worked when I was younger.

We where kids we believed anything related to gaming.

5 hours ago, kingpotato said:

We where kids we believed anything related to gaming.

Great point there - I don't have a counter-argument for this. Thank the heavens one of those myths wasn't dunking your console into water to get it to work 😂 or something like that because it would have been awkward as hell to explain.

1 hour ago, killamch89 said:

Great point there - I don't have a counter-argument for this. Thank the heavens one of those myths wasn't dunking your console into water to get it to work 😂 or something like that because it would have been awkward as hell to explain.

I actually did used cotton buds with alcohol to clean the cartridge slot on my NES when I was like 6 or 7 years old, man you are right this shit was really dumb 😆

1 hour ago, kingpotato said:

I actually did used cotton buds with alcohol to clean the cartridge slot on my NES when I was like 6 or 7 years old, man you are right this shit was really dumb 😆

My big brother was going to attempt that with the PS lens in the console when we were kids - It's a good thing I stopped him. Even at 9-years-old that didn't seem like a sensible thing to try.

Anyone remember those old cartridge based consoles? Those cartridge used to require a lot of shake some of the times when they used to hang. It was kind of RAM sized and often gets lose on the cartridge box. 

4 hours ago, skyfire said:

Anyone remember those old cartridge based consoles? Those cartridge used to require a lot of shake some of the times when they used to hang. It was kind of RAM sized and often gets lose on the cartridge box. 

What? What do you mean by "Those cartridge used to require a lot of shake some of the times when they used to hang"

5 hours ago, skyfire said:

Yeah. I play them daily. They're almost the only consoles I play.