Register Now
Jayson

Health Problems and Gaming

Much of the west is "too rested".  Nonetheless, we cannot blame gaming, computers, TV, sedentary jobs etc..  I mean, the bottom line is that people need to "balance out" things; make time for working out.

Nonetheless, though, working out takes a lot of time.  I mean, a good workout - including the hour cardio, takes at least 2 hours a day - and that's not including driving and dressing time.

Any thoughts?

Edited by Jayson

1 minute ago, The Blackangel said:

A good exercise routine does improve your quality of life. But there are those of us who are incapable of working out due to disabilities. So we're kinda screwed.

I see what you mean, a little.  Myself, I have scoliosis, so I can only do "so much" weight lifting.   Nonetheless, I think most people can do - at the least, an adequate workout.

Edited by Jayson

I would not worry about getting to a sweaty gym everyday to workout so much, but just try to include exercise into your daily routine - and you could start out at just 30 minutes a day. You could ride your bike to the store or hike to the park, or just exercise around your house to simplify your daily routine.

I think there needs to be game that makes people go out and explore the wilderness and meet new people etc. Pokemon go made people go out of the house and collect pokemon. But overall I think there is a need for such games.

I tend to exercise the moment I wake up and I do an hour of exercise from Monday to Friday and the weekend is my rest period. Exercise tends to relax you and boosts your mood which can help your gaming performance as well.

@The Blackangel Doesn't it just drive you crazy when people say "it's easy to stay healthy if you just exercise!" I'm not in your situation by any stretch, but working out is definitely not easy for me. 

Anyway, as a more general answer to this question, I think if there is any social ill which contributes to poor health in this regard, it has more to do with folks being chained to their desks for 8-9 hours a day and stuck in traffic for another hour on average around that. There has to be a better way to organize work and income so that people have more time to do what they need to be healthy physically and psychologically.

11 hours ago, Bravosi said:

Gaming gave me worse physical health, but better mental one 😄

How does that even work? XD. I have seen people losing their both mental and physical health over a period of time. I guess I must be in that category too. 

Not just dark soul. I think there are many other games which have poor graphics that kind of attack your eyes and you kind of quit eventually. I think a lot of gamers don't understand that part either. 

On 5/5/2019 at 12:53 AM, Bravosi said:

Gaming gave me worse physical health, but better mental one 😄

I agree with that statement 😁, I used to be in good shape in highschool but after college I just started to become more and more sedentary,  I rather play videogames than doing exercise (I know its bad) even when I go out its somewhere where I'm going to be in one place like a bar or the cinema. Even when I went to Disneyland a month it ago it  was horrible for my legs, it was like I ran a marathon😆 , my legs hurt for a week and all I did was to stand in line and walk.

7 hours ago, skyfire said:

Not just dark soul. I think there are many other games which have poor graphics that kind of attack your eyes and you kind of quit eventually. I think a lot of gamers don't understand that part either. 

Dark souls doesnt really have poor graphics...the mental strain its because of the difficulty. If you want to talk about games that attack you eyes then thats Minecraft.

7 hours ago, kingpotato said:

Dark souls doesnt really have poor graphics...the mental strain its because of the difficulty. If you want to talk about games that attack you eyes then thats Minecraft.

Dark Souls' catch is these graphics I think. Very gray and dark.

I don't think the intense workout is for everyone or that needed as much as just cultivating good habits that allow us to stay healthy, and health starts with what we eat and how do we portion it. Some people have jobs where they are on their feet all day or have to walk quite a bit. We do have to take responsibilities for our choices and to make the best within our circumstances. 

Like @Folk Artist mention rather than going all the way from begining, it might be better to start with something easy like walking. I think it is important to find activities we're comfortable with so they don't become something to dread, so definitely you want the person to start within their limits and explore. Some might rather swim, some might rather dance some might like the adrenaline of kickboxing to each their own.