Register Now
kingpotato

Games that didnt aged well ?

There are many classics out there that still hold up to this very day, but there are some that where popular on their time but today they are no longer great.

For me one of those games is GTA 3, back in the day it was really awesome but looking back on it the graphics where really bad, if you compare GTA 3 to GTA San andreas the difference is abysmal and they where both from the same generation.

Which games you think that didnt aged well ?

I would cast my vote for Conker's Bad Fur Day. It was so out of nowhere when it came out, and the only game I can think of that was ever made that was explicitly for adults. Yet today I haven't heard mention of it or come across a game like it. Sure there are games that may have sexual content and strong language, but name me one other game where a pile of shit with corn teeth sings to you.

Mega Man 2 is a real mess with the special weapons. The Metal Blade is OP except when it doesn't work at all, and most of the weapons drain real quickly or are completely useless outside of very specific situations. The Classic series overall is just obnoxious with the disappearing blocks often referred to as Yoku Blocks; I'm glad later Mega Man series such as Mega Man X did away with them almost entirely. I've yet to play Mega Man 11, but if it's anything like the previous 10 mainstream Classic series games, it probably has them, too. I still want to play it, don't get me wrong, but I'm not looking forward to seeing Yoku Blocks again.

Mega Man 2 has my respect for saving the Mega Man franchise from being dead-on-arrival; the first Mega Man wasn't received particularly well at the time, from what I understand, and if Mega Man 2 failed, the series probably would not have gotten off the ground and none of its successors would have ever been made. But I think most later Mega Man games, Classic or otherwise, are technically better games.

Edited by Executor Akamia

I'm gonna catch hell for this one, but as a series, I would haze to say Zelda. If you look at the series over time, every game is so wildly different and the quests are so different that it seems like they're running out of ideas. I mean compare A Link To The Past to Wind Waker. Then look at Zelda 2. Now we have Breath Of The Wild. None of them have anything in common, except Link, Zelda , and Hyrule. Another wildly different one is Twilight Princess. None of them are remotely similar to another one. They are just getting worse and worse. Which is really sad, because it could have been the greatest series that Nintendo ever released. And it was. For a while.

Also what the fuck happened to SMB? It disappeared after SNES. Mario64 was fun, but why wasn't Luigi anywhere in existence? I know Peach wrote the letter to Mario, but that doesn't satisfy me.

56 minutes ago, The Blackangel said:

I'm gonna catch hell for this one, but as a series, I would haze to say Zelda. If you look at the series over time, every game is so wildly different and the quests are so different that it seems like they're running out of ideas. I mean compare A Link To The Past to Wind Waker. Then look at Zelda 2. Now we have Breath Of The Wild. None of them have anything in common, except Link, Zelda , and Hyrule. Another wildly different one is Twilight Princess. None of them are remotely similar to another one. They are just getting worse and worse. Which is really sad, because it could have been the greatest series that Nintendo ever released. And it was. For a while.

Also what the fuck happened to SMB? It disappeared after SNES. Mario64 was fun, but why wasn't Luigi anywhere in existence? I know Peach wrote the letter to Mario, but that doesn't satisfy me.

I've somewhat noticed it but you're right about the Zelda series and i like the randomness of every game but they are all drastically different from each other. I'm not sure what else they could add to the Zelda series though,

On 8/3/2019 at 12:08 PM, The Blackangel said:

I actually think that many feel the same, but I will agree that they are running out of ideas, for example I purchased a The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds, which is a great game and all but the dungeons and enemies and even the story itself feel like any other Zelda game, basically if you have played one of any of the two types of Zelda games (Upper view or 3D ) you have basically played them all.

Let's list some of the differences. I'm not counting spin offs like Link's Awakening or Majora's Mask. Strictly Hyrule games.

1) (NES) no towns of any kind, triforce broken into 8 pieces, dungeon bosses reused
2) (NES) multiple towns, dungeons all look the same and turned to mountain upon defeat, roaming monsters throw you into short battles, hyrule has grown 100 times its previous size, no selectable items, spells
3) (SNES) back to one town, now have a light world and dark world, lake hylia, kakariko town is the only town, piece of heart introduced (not counting Link's Awakening), master sword created
4) (N64) kokiri forest, gorons, gerudos, death mountain is now a volcano, multiple new items,  multiple items lost from previous Zelda, time travel, songs required on ocarina to reach certain dungeons, different clothes (tunics, boots) required, navi
5) (Wii) goat herding, never before seen towns and provinces, races severely reimagined, more new races, midna replaces navi, turned into wolf

That's just NES through Wii. I didn't include Game Cube because if memory serves me correctly, there was just one game on Game Cube, and that was 4 Swords. Which wasn't a Hyrule game. I know there was a release of Ocarina Of Time along with the ocarina master quest. I know that because I have it. But that one doesn't count for Game Cube because it was a rerelease from a previous system. If I missed any major differences, point them out and let's discuss them.

Edited by The Blackangel

I just realized that my brain wasn’t fully engaged yet with my previous post. I had only been awake for about 20 minutes when I made it. I forgot about Wind Waker on Game Cube. It’s a cartoon. That’s all that needs to be said. But requiring a boat to go from island to island was a major fuckup.

7 hours ago, The Blackangel said:

I just realized that my brain wasn’t fully engaged yet with my previous post. I had only been awake for about 20 minutes when I made it. I forgot about Wind Waker on Game Cube. It’s a cartoon. That’s all that needs to be said. But requiring a boat to go from island to island was a major fuckup.

I will agree on that, I liked the Wind Waker a lot, even if it was cartoonish the fact that I have to travel to island to island on a boat just ruins the game for me, the same can be said for Skyward sword, the fact that I have to go flying back to town to upgrade my weapons or to buy resources is very boring and it takes a lot of time.

On 8/8/2019 at 11:48 AM, DylanC said:

Some early 3D games haven’t aged particularly well, like Tomb Raider 1 for example. 2D games tend to stand the test of time and age better.

I'd also add games like the original Final Fantasy 7 to that list as well - the game truly shows it age.