Register Now
StaceyPowers

Games that pulled together after a shaky release?

What are some games which initially were plagued by problems when they released (or were just poorly received), but which pulled it together over time?

I’m thinking for example of No Man’s Sky. That game got a lot of flak after its release because it didn’t live up to the stratospheric hype. But I have noticed that over time, opinions seem to have changed on it. It’s had more staying power than I would’ve expected given the rough start.

What are some other games like that which opinions became more favourable about over time?

@The Blackangel @DylanC @killamch89 @skyfire @SpaceExplorer @LadyDay @UleTheVee @xXInfectedXx

The original Destiny was horrible when it was first released but with the release of the Taken King DLC, the game was pretty good after that. I can also think of FFXIV when it first launched, the reception was dreadful amongst many FF players - after its relaunch, it had been well received by the FF community.

No Man's Sky is my favorite example as that game looked as it would be scrapped after the first month or so, but they pulled it through and it's really solid now.

Diablo III also comes to mind. The Error 37 and auction houses were something that plagued the game in the beginning, but Blizzard fixed those issues. I'm not sure how the game is now, though. 

On 5/6/2019 at 10:43 AM, Bravosi said:

I thought No Man's Sky is doomed and burried?

It averages around 2000-3000 people every day, which is good for that kind of game. There's also a big update coming this summer bringing multiplayer and whatnot, which might pull some people towards the game again. Not to mention that the game looks as stunning as ever.

6 hours ago, SpaceExplorer said:

It averages around 2000-3000 people every day, which is good for that kind of game. There's also a big update coming this summer bringing multiplayer and whatnot, which might pull some people towards the game again. Not to mention that the game looks as stunning as ever.

And it's getting VR support.

On 5/6/2019 at 1:25 AM, SpaceExplorer said:

No Man's Sky is my favorite example as that game looked as it would be scrapped after the first month or so, but they pulled it through and it's really solid now.

Diablo III also comes to mind. The Error 37 and auction houses were something that plagued the game in the beginning, but Blizzard fixed those issues. I'm not sure how the game is now, though. 

yep Diablo 3 resurrected, I though it was going to be a sure failed game but after a year or so it was very good. I remember pulling an all nighter with this game.