Register Now
StaceyPowers

What book universe would make a great game series?

The Witcher series was practically unknown outside of Poland before the Witcher games (which is why its author made a terrible financial decision when selling the rights for something like 10 grand—he expected nothing to come of it). Needless to say, the Witcher game series obviously did great things with its source material.

Given that, what are some other books which you think would make an excellent basis for video games?

@DylanC Especially interested in what you have to say on this one.

When I was a kid, I always thought the Hardy Boys series would make a great video game - Something in the mystery/platformer/action genre. It could be something akin to the L.A. Noire video game released years ago where you search different places for clues before putting all the evidence together to find the culprit and their motive.

I’m a big fan of Michael Crichton and many of his books have been adapted into lots of good movies, but The Andromeda Strain, Sphere and Prey could make for some great source material for tech noir horror games. Sphere is a lot like Bioshock and takes place at the bottom of the sea, so that would make for a compelling environment, for example.

On 5/7/2019 at 11:05 AM, DylanC said:

I’m a big fan of Michael Crichton and many of his books have been adapted into lots of good movies, but The Andromeda Strain, Sphere and Prey could make for some great source material for tech noir horror games. Sphere is a lot like Bioshock and takes place at the bottom of the sea, so that would make for a compelling environment, for example.

Andromeda Strain does seem like it'd have major game potential.

Malazan Book of the Fallen

The complexity of the world rivals Lord of the Rings, in my opinion it beats it by far. Much more gritty, but still has humour at times. It's definitely not a children's book, much more mature, sometimes very dark but still thrilling. Maybe the material is too big for any  lazy studio to pick it up. About 12000 pages just for the main series, not including the spinoffs.

2 hours ago, m76 said:

The complexity of the world rivals Lord of the Rings, in my opinion it beats it by far. Much more gritty, but still has humour at times. It's definitely not a children's book, much more mature, sometimes very dark but still thrilling. Maybe the material is too big for any  lazy studio to pick it up. About 12000 pages just for the main series, not including the spinoffs.

Wow, that looks like a good series. I just bought book 1 Gardens of The Moon! 

On 10/4/2020 at 1:41 PM, m76 said:

On 10/4/2020 at 4:10 PM, Reality vs Adventure said:

Wow, that looks like a good series. I just bought book 1 Gardens of The Moon! 

Update on book

I've been reading it the past few days. It is definitely complex. More so than Lord of the Rings. It does bring a creepy fear factor from so many things happening especially when Gods are involved. Great characters. Plot is yet to be emphasized so I keep wondering, which could make or brake it for me. But the mystery just won't allow me to quit. It is very unique.