Register Now
StaceyPowers

What Skyrim gets wrong about followers

I love Skyrim, but when I play Fallout: New Vegas, I’m always noticing things that Obsidian did well that Bethesda could do better with its other games. In particular, Skyrim could do much better with its followers.

-I don’t have a problem with the “quantity” of followers, but their quality overall is lacking. There are only a few with fleshed-out storylines, backgrounds and quests.

-Even those who do have storylines still have really limited dialogue.

-Another issue is order of events. In Fallout NV, when you get a new companion, they slowly build trust with you and over time you work through their quests. In Skyrim, you are rewarded with a companion upon completing their quest. After that, it’s like the relationship is static.

How do you think followers in the next Elder Scrolls game could be improved?

@LadyDay @DylanC

On 5/8/2019 at 10:20 PM, LadyDay said:

I agree, they could definitely have more dialog. After a while whenever Lydia said "I'm sworn to carry your burdens" I wanted to punch the screen!

Aww, i have to admit I actually find Lydia's whininess endearing. Though it is rather weird when I'm specifically giving her a present like really nice armor. I'm like "this isn't my burdens, this is a gift! I forged it myself!"

20 hours ago, StaceyPowers said:

Aww, i have to admit I actually find Lydia's whininess endearing. Though it is rather weird when I'm specifically giving her a present like really nice armor. I'm like "this isn't my burdens, this is a gift! I forged it myself!"

So ungrateful! 

3 hours ago, LadyDay said:

So ungrateful! 

I always think the kids are so funny too, the way they say “thanks” in such an ambivalent and awkward tone when you give them a gift. You only get a really grateful, exuberant reaction if one of them asks for an allowance and you give them like a thousand gold.

I will agree that the relationship with most Skyrim followers can feel static, you can finish a quest or two and they will be there for you unconditionally no matter what. It will be nice if a negative or positive based system could be added to the follower relationship. That way for example if you dont share some of the loot with the follower it would give you negative points, or if you cure him during or after the battle can give you positive points with the follower and the more positive points the more stronger the relationship and therefore the stronger the follower becomes. If you play Skyrim on a high difficulty followers are must, at least on the first levels.