Register Now
Kaynil

New ports of old games costing full price

So this is a topic that has been brought up when talking about new releases for the switch, being Wii U versions ported into the Switch or games that had already been out in other consoles for years that only now they are coming to the switch. I am sure it is not just with the switch but that is the one I have been noticing. It seems more like the mentality of charging full price for being a new release even if the product itself doesn't offer anything to compensate the price difference other than being ins aid console, heck, some of them you could argue actually take from it like the FIFA '18 version in the switch being almost a different game compared to the other versions according to some people.

How do you guys feel about ports being sold full price while you can get them for a fraction in a different console? Do you think it is fair play?

Honestly I can't play the expensive games. I have found options and alternatives in most of the times. I am one of those people who are now moving towards the mobile and VR based games. I'd never buy expensive ports. 

We are all happy for new ports of our favorite games but when its priced as the same amount as a brand new game then I dont think its worth it for the consumer. I think this issue happens a lot on the Switch because of the special cartridges , I'm not sure I'm just thinking out loud. For the PS4 I always see ports of older Playstation games, they do tend to be more expensive if its a digital copy.

It peeves me. On the same token, it kind of annoys me when games are remastered and then re-released at full price, rather than simply offering us backwards compatibility with our old games ... especially since I've heard that a lot of remasters really aren't all that amazing, and don't justify charging full price.

On 8/28/2019 at 5:25 PM, skyfire said:

I think with time ports need to reduce in prices because all they have to do is make code work on new platform and not do the design from scratch. 

On some cases it did happen that they had to start from scratch like with Kingdom hearts 1 & 2 remakes, since the developers lost the main codes. But yeah if you already have the codes the full price is to much unless is a complete remake like with Re2

3 hours ago, kingpotato said:

On some cases it did happen that they had to start from scratch like with Kingdom hearts 1 & 2 remakes, since the developers lost the main codes. But yeah if you already have the codes the full price is to much unless is a complete remake like with Re2

RE2 remake started at $40 dollars which is lower than most remakes which start at the $60 price tag. I normally wait for the prices to drop for most remakes but I couldn't wait for RE 2 and I'd gladly hand over that $40 again because it is an exceptional remake.

On 8/30/2019 at 6:20 AM, kingpotato said:

I think another issue is that with the content being used in earlier version like some specific graphics and music  for which they no longer hold the license. 

On 9/26/2019 at 8:13 PM, skyfire said:

I think another issue is that with the content being used in earlier version like some specific graphics and music  for which they no longer hold the license. 

Not many examples come to my mind with that issue you mentioned, maybe GTA? but the only thing I have ever heard was some issues with some songs on GTA 4 but this affected all versions not just the remakes and they just replaced the songs with other ones without charging extra.