Register Now
StaceyPowers

Choosing Difficulty Modes

@kingpotato and I were talking about difficulty settings on Skyrim in another thread, and how we both felt compelled at one point to play the game on the Legendary setting.

It got me to wondering how folks usually select a difficulty level at the start of a game, or what leads one to raising or lowering it in the middle of a playthrough.

I would say that my goal is usually to have the difficulty setting so that the harder fights in a game are just at the edge of my capabilities. That way, I'm challenged to improve my abilities, but in a way which isn't overly frustrating.

How do you decide on your difficulty level? Do you want to be challenged only with the harder fights, or with all of your fights? Do you want a game to be extremely hard, or just hard enough to keep you growing your skills? Or would you rather a game be relatively easy?

@kingpotato @Alyxx @The Blackangel @DylanC @Executor Akamia @xXInfectedXx @SpaceExplorer @skyfire @UleTheVee @LadyDay

Depends on how long I've played it. With some games I prefer harder skills if it's a game I've played a lot. For instance, I beat Duke Nukem Forever on the hardest skill setting for the achievement just because it's one of my favourite games.

That being said it also depends on the game. With some games, especially Bethesda games, the difficulty can be all over the place and something like Normal can be either too easy or Hard can suddenly be too difficult. Thus I often end up switching difficulties in Fallout 4 and Skyrim due to how there's no sweet spot.

I can handle extremely hard, but I do prefer a game to be just hard enough that I can grow my skills without getting penalized too hard.

It also depends on the game. If I don't care enough about it, I'm not gonna go for higher difficulties; I'm just gonna clear it once, and move on. If I am really dissatisfied with the game for one reason or another, I might not even clear it the first time and go do something else instead.

50 minutes ago, Alyxx said:

Depends on how long I've played it. With some games I prefer harder skills if it's a game I've played a lot. For instance, I beat Duke Nukem Forever on the hardest skill setting for the achievement just because it's one of my favourite games.

That being said it also depends on the game. With some games, especially Bethesda games, the difficulty can be all over the place and something like Normal can be either too easy or Hard can suddenly be too difficult. Thus I often end up switching difficulties in Fallout 4 and Skyrim due to how there's no sweet spot.

I agree with that part as well regarding Bethesda games, switching the difficulty constantly is necessary in some parts of the game.

I always try to start with a hard or above normal difficulty if its a new game, I know that normal can sometimes become to easy and I do enjoy a challenge. But as well I dont want to start with the highest difficulty if its a new game, nobody likes to get their ass kicked so often. 😆 Maybe thats one of the reasons why I chicken out with Soul games.

It depends on the game. I like it to be a difficult game, so that it provides a lot of good challenges, but not so hard that I cant get any further than the first enemy or area. I don't like games that are so easy I could play them in my sleep. The only time a game should be that easy, is if it's one that you've played repeatedly for years and have developed the skills to dominate it. If it's in the genre that I enjoy, and it's a strong challenge then I'll go with the hard setting. If I'm just trying to learn my way around the game a bit, I may start with an easy setting, but once I know what the hell I'm doing, it's the hard setting all the way.

Edited by The Blackangel

On 5/11/2019 at 11:58 AM, Alyxx said:

Thus I often end up switching difficulties in Fallout 4 and Skyrim due to how there's no sweet spot.

In Skyrim, Expert (I think?) seems to be the sweet spot most of the time for me, but sometimes it is a bit too easy. But Master is quite a jump up from that.

The worst difficulty settings for me in any series are in Dragon Age. The difference between “Casual” and “Normal” is insane. I always think that the “true” settings are like … Casual, Hardcore, Nightmare, Rage-Quit.