Register Now
StaceyPowers

Choose Your Own Adventure Books and gaming

I posted about text adventures in this thread, and @kingpotato mentioned Choose Your Own Adventure Books.

Does anyone else remember these fondly from their youth?

I remember when those books were everywhere. I didn’t realize that they are more broadly called “gamebooks” until now, but I have thought often about how they were essentially non-digital games which in some respects helped pave the way for the modern digital games we enjoy today. I figure that the growth of computer and console gaming probably directly led to their decline.

If anyone reads modern gamebooks today, what series do you read?

For me it was the Lonewolf series, well there where a tons of books of the series but I only played about 3. They where really awesome, I cant remember how many times I died unexpectedly and had to start all over again, I had a special notebook for it to keep track of the pages and to know which of the choices where dead ends, I cheated on the first book after the first time I lost but that spoiled the fun, I did played the other two normally.

16 hours ago, kingpotato said:

For me it was the Lonewolf series, well there where a tons of books of the series but I only played about 3. They where really awesome, I cant remember how many times I died unexpectedly and had to start all over again, I had a special notebook for it to keep track of the pages and to know which of the choices where dead ends, I cheated on the first book after the first time I lost but that spoiled the fun, I did played the other two normally.

Dying tragically in so many ways always made me feel extra satisfied and oddly kind of "relieved" when I found the happy ending at last. My favorite series I think was called "Time Machine" books? Something like that. You jumped through history on adventures, and learned a fair amount of actual historical stuff along the way since they were well-researched and aimed at realism. 

8 hours ago, StaceyPowers said:

Dying tragically in so many ways always made me feel extra satisfied and oddly kind of "relieved" when I found the happy ending at last. My favorite series I think was called "Time Machine" books? Something like that. You jumped through history on adventures, and learned a fair amount of actual historical stuff along the way since they were well-researched and aimed at realism. 

I might go looking for another gaming book after this 😆 I'm not sure if they are still being made or if there are still books in good conditions.

14 hours ago, kingpotato said:

I might go looking for another gaming book after this 😆 I'm not sure if they are still being made or if there are still books in good conditions.

I glanced at Wikipedia and it said that there are indeed still gaming books being made (or made recently, can't remember), though I think they are relatively rare compared to in the past. If you do find any new gaming books and check them out, please let me know!

Used to adore choose-your-own adventure books when I was younger! I had a collection on Knightmare books (which were based on a popular children’s serial TV series here in the UK). They were fantasy-themed, and you could make different decisions and take different paths each playthrough. I was pretty obsessed with them. Definitely helped get me into traditional games as well as reading from an early age, for sure.